Life without Eugene?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Life without Eugene?

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I just thought of something really sad. What are we going to do when Will Ryan is gone? Not to be morbid but the man is 73 and will not act for that many more years. Hopefully they could find someone who sounds exactly like him like they did for Whit (the first time) but that is hard to do. Plus if you don't get it exact you are now going to have fans mad at you for Whit and Eugene.

Its sad to think of Odyssey with no more Eugene, because Connie and Eugene have been the two hold-overs throughout the entire show. Maybe the could redeem themselves had have a likeable Mitch and Richard Maxwell become regulars. (and don't change them, keep them how we love like them).
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

When Will Ryan can't record many more episodes, they will probably send Eugene and Karina to Africa with his father and brother at the Ashanti tribe.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

He pretty much DID leave the show back in the day and I don't think they knew if things would be resolved or not... so if Will Ryan retires or goes on a spaceship to his home planet, etc, they can just use stock footage to have him marry Katrina and leave town as her father dies. \:D/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I had no idea he was that old. He did not look it in the Birthday Bash. Hopefully they will plan an exit strategy as they did with Paul Herlinger. That man retired with dignity and allowed them to start a search before it was "too late". I saw an interview with him where he said he did not want his "departure" to be a shock to fans as it had been when Hal Smith suddenly died. Maybe he can go into the imagination station and suddenly become "younger"..........it worked for Whit!

-- 10 Jan 2013 07:56 pm --

ACtually, Will Ryan had gone and come back before I became a dedicated listener so I never noticed. I listened periodically in the 90´s, did not own any CD´s until 2002 and then started listening every day in 2004, buying cassettes or CD´s as I found them and then became a die hard fan when I came to Sweden in 2008 because it sounds like "home". :-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jimmy Barclay
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Jimmy Barclay »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I just thought of something really sad. What are we going to do when Will Ryan is gone?
That was me actually.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Funny, we were just talking about that earlier. It would be really hard to find a replacement for Eugene. It's not just Eugene's voice that we love, it's his character!
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

and I was just thinking about all the other incidental characters he plays.....Harlow Doyle, Officer Ryan, and it seems there was another one. I would think they would drop those and just find a replacement for Eugene since his character is a constant. it will be hard, but possible. After all Whit is in his third incarnation. I think that is the next major decision in whether or not Odyssey will continue. I was disappointed at first but with The Green Ring Conspiracy and The Grand Design (I did not really like Clanging Cymbals), I feel like they have found the heart again, so replacing Will Ryan could be the next step. Hopefully, they will allow plenty of time for the process.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I didn't realize that Will Ryan was that old. I thought he was about 50...
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

it seems I vaguely remember they recorded an episode with Eugene and Katrina saying goodbye to everyone. I would love to have that as a bonus feature on a future album, the whole episode, not just clips.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jimmy Barclay
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Jimmy Barclay »

My question would be, how long can they have Whit in Odyssey? They've already incarnated him three times. Obviously he can't stay the same age forever. His character has to be in his 80s at least, and with the rest of the cast getting older it would seem that Odyssey has a short future .-_-. I would hate to see this happen. However maybe Jason could become the new proprietor after Jack and Joanne get back.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Honestly, I think that Odyssey would survive without Eugene. They did once before (during/after Novacom), and they could do it again. Of course, it would be really sad to see Eugene leave, but I don't think he is as crucial to Odyssey as he once was.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Jimmy Barclay wrote:My question would be, how long can they have Whit in Odyssey? They've already incarnated him three times. Obviously he can't stay the same age forever. His character has to be in his 80s at least, and with the rest of the cast getting older it would seem that Odyssey has a short future .-_-. I would hate to see this happen. However maybe Jason could become the new proprietor after Jack and Joanne get back.
I think AIO has the same sliding timeline that Marvel comics uses. Like Peter Parker has aged about 10 years in the last 50.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

"You think that's bad, you should meet Dennis the Menace. He's been 6 for going on 75 years!"-Tom Riley

Well Whit's a Time Lord, so he can regenerate himself over and over. He only turned 90 this past Oct. 1st. Eugene on the other hand? I think his voice is far too unique for anyone else to ever hope to come close. I think he would have to phase out. They would need some sort of sending off, though I doubt it would be through Leonard, as that would require explaining stuff to the listeners. Then again, they brought Mitch back with practically no explanation.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

jennifertwt wrote:it seems I vaguely remember they recorded an episode with Eugene and Katrina saying goodbye to everyone. I would love to have that as a bonus feature on a future album, the whole episode, not just clips.
They recorded something, and then changed their minds and then used clips to bring Tom in for a final scene in album 50. I don't know much else. :-k
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

DanP740 wrote:
jennifertwt wrote:it seems I vaguely remember they recorded an episode with Eugene and Katrina saying goodbye to everyone. I would love to have that as a bonus feature on a future album, the whole episode, not just clips.
They recorded something, and then changed their minds and then used clips to bring Tom in for a final scene in album 50. I don't know much else. :-k
Well Eugene and Katrina were originally going to leave in A New Era, but then Will Ryan was able to stay, so the episode was completely changed, and Leonard and Everett left instead.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Jimmy Barclay wrote:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I just thought of something really sad. What are we going to do when Will Ryan is gone?
That was me actually.
Was it? I don't remember who brought it up. O wait you did, I remember now because you said that Odyssey would never be the same without Eugene. But it did get me thinking as well so its an accurate statement. :lol:
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I really really really hope they never replace Connie or Eugene. When their actors leave or retire, those characters, however sad it may be, need to be gone from Odyssey. They've been played by the same actors for so long, it would almost be a shame to replace them. Replacing Whit is necessity. Jack worked well, but eventually, it's just good to have Whit. If Andre leaves and they replace him, I can accept a 4th Whit much sooner than a second Connie or Eugene. I just don't think I could adjust to it.
The only replacements that should be done are those that are required. So Katrina, that's necessary, as she is married to Eugene, (and a more minor character I might add.) Replacing Bart was a bad idea. Not necessary to replace.
They'd be much better to get an all new character to fill the role. Or bring back an old one.

If Connie ever leaves, I say they get Mandy Straussberg to come back and work at Whit's End. She could date an older Trent, who could maybe even replace the Eugene role. In general, I think it'd be cool to replace them with old, grown up kid characters. Jimmy and Lucy come to mind as well.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I agree. I think I could have adjusted to a new Tom better than a new Bart. Tom was integral to Whit´s circle of friends..........in fact, I am not sure his death was ever handled ON the show, that seems to be a big gap for such a vital character. Replacing an antagonist is just not necessary, there are always new adversaries even in real life. I actually never noticed when they replaced Katrina, she is such a minor role. I think for shows with such intrenched characters, the MASH formula works best---replacing the departed character with someone totally opposite. I could go for Jason running Whit´s End though and Whit "retiring" maybe to California or Florida, or off to Scotland to visit Jack and his roots. Jason could be the anchor and Whit could sort of pop up every now and then.

Actually this leads me to wonder, is André younger than Will Ryan? If so, that is jus weird to think about.

It also leads me to wonder if that is not why Wooton has had a larger role since the relaunch and changed "slightly". I used to not like him at all, but do a bit more since the relaunch.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

jennifertwt wrote:
Actually this leads me to wonder, is André younger than Will Ryan? If so, that is jus weird to think about.
Significantly so. Andre is only slightly older than Townsend Coleman.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

oh well, the scooby gang have been teens-young adults for 50 years.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden