What Not to Read

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

What Not to Read

Post by Petrichor »

Admit it. Somewhere in your head, you've got a list of those books that make you cringe whenever you remember them. You fling your hands up in disgust whenever you hear them mentioned. You flee in terror whenever you see them. Those awful, terrible books that just make you whimper whenever you think about them.

Maybe it was that cute little romance that suddenly went horribly bad? That thriller that went bizarre? That mystery that could be solved about three pages in and you had to suffer through about three hundred pages of incredibly dense characters trying to ram the answers through their incredibly thick skulls?

Post 'em here, so that your fellow ToOers won't have to suffer through them like you did.

(Erm, minor stipulation here: only post books you've actually read, or at least taken a stab at. No "aaaah! twilight is the dumbest series ever becuase Edward is lame and so is Bela!!!11one11!1 im never going to read it because it looks soo dumb." Just thought I'd mention that.)

Currently at #1 on my list of what not to read: A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine.
While I'm aware that I'm outside the target range for this book, I still pick up Ella Enchanted every now and then and enjoy a quick read-through. A Tale of Two Castles was just... bad. Blegh.

So, what are some of your worst reads? \:D/
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Diary of a Wimpy Kid :blah: SOOOOO DUMB!!! Worst. Books. Ever.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

lol, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is pretty good, how can you not like it?

Well, I really didn't like the book Heidi.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Spring for Susannah by Catherine Richmond. While this book is marketed as Christian romance it contains content that IMHO should have been left out. Ironic that I did not like this book but enjoyed the second book by this same author.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Wooton Z. Bassett wrote:lol, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is pretty good, how can you not like it?
It's just so... dumb. That's really the only word for it. It's about three quarters full of pictures, and the "humor" is far from funny.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Wooton Z. Bassett wrote:lol, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is pretty good, how can you not like it?

Aww, Heidi is a classic! I've read many times...love it. \:D/ I suppose it is more of a girl's book though... :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

Laura Ingalls wrote:

Aww, Heidi is a classic! I've read many times...love it. \:D/ I suppose it is more of a girl's book though... :-
I like most girls book, such as Little Woman, Anne of Green Gables, Alice in Wonderland, Little House on the Prarie books, I just didn't like Heidi all that much.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

For me it would have to be The Phantom Tollbooth. I honestly disliked every minute I spent reading it. It was a school assignment, or else I probably wouldn't have finished it. I don't know what my main problem was with it, I just thought it was dumb, and not very interesting. I know tons of people love this book, it's just not me.

@Wooton Z Bassett: Heidi's such a good book! I loved it :) I love old books about girls though
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Jesus' Princess wrote:For me it would have to be The Phantom Tollbooth. I honestly disliked every minute I spent reading it. It was a school assignment, or else I probably wouldn't have finished it. I don't know what my main problem was with it, I just thought it was dumb, and not very interesting. I know tons of people love this book, it's just not me.
What. What. What. Is. This.

I adore The Phantom Tollbooth. That book is a part of my childhood! I love the creative storyline, the characters...and the witty lines are the best ever :inlove:
*insert provocative quote here*
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:For me it would have to be The Phantom Tollbooth. I honestly disliked every minute I spent reading it. It was a school assignment, or else I probably wouldn't have finished it. I don't know what my main problem was with it, I just thought it was dumb, and not very interesting. I know tons of people love this book, it's just not me.
What. What. What. Is. This.

I adore The Phantom Tollbooth. That book is a part of my childhood! I love the creative storyline, the characters...and the witty lines are the best ever :inlove:
I know, lots of people like it :( I'm not a big fantasy lover, (unless it's dystopian futuristic fantasy, then I like) so that's probably why I didn't like it. I don't know, I did read it in 6th grade, so maybe over the summer or something I'll try it again. Maybe ;)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Twilight, because the series was honestly the WORST written series I have EVER read - I regret ever reading them....

And um.... I could get a lot of hate for this... but I cannot read classics. That goes for anything by Jane Austen, Victor Hugo, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkein. I'm not saying on a factor of "not-well written" as they probably are, but I can't get past the boring side of the plot... I unfortunately must have an ADHD brain that does not allow me much time to process long winded paragraphs and trying to think about words. These days, reading is a challenge in and of itself, and I own thousand-page medical surgical nursing books, half highlighted from my own skimming... key word "skim" (plus, they are a lot easier to understand). And usually interest is in there somewhere. I just have no interest in things written by those four main authors.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I really did not like reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I also did not like reading Blindness by José Saramago. They both were kind of gross, and while I understood the messages they were trying to present, they were just nasty.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games. Sweet gracious, I cannot rightly stand those books. (In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably mention that I loathe books with excessive, graphic violence to the aforementioned degrees.) I also agree with Woody; the Wimpy Kid books have been going on for far too long.

Also, don't read The Scarlet Letter if you're not patient with description. Hawthorne is known for his wordiness. :p
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ginny Weasley wrote:The Hunger Games.

Nooo! The Hunger Games are good :mad:

Each to her own I suppose :)
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I must say, Moby Dick is on my list. The original is just far too long. I prefer the Children's Illustrated Classics version with a picture on every other page and only about 150 pages long.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

hunger games my best friend asked me to read it.. a womans take on war tactics.. boggled my mind.. the story was sad. (in a noose and body hanging type of sad)

and the people that can not read C.s Lewis have little to no clue about the written word. i may be flirting with the lines of the rules for posting the narnia books are not all he has done. the man was a genius. but hey.

new moon. drivel. long. the other twilight books. werent as bad as i hear the venom spewed on them. did it lack things.. sure.. but hello its fantasy you have to allow for some swiss cheese sized holes.
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The only book that I disliked upon finishing was "The Day of Small Beginnings". I friend lent it to me in support of home-churching, but the book failed in its delivery. >_> I hated almost all of the characters and the writer's bias preachiness drove me up the wall. In spite of that, I think real people who have a house church are pretty cool. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

Wooton Z. Bassett wrote:I like most girls book, such as Little Woman, Anne of Green Gables, Alice in Wonderland, Little House on the Prarie books, I just didn't like Heidi all that much.
Alice in Wonderland is in no way just a girl book! It's for all! \:D/
~ Walker in Dreams
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Hmm...

Old Man and the Sea, maybe I'm just biased against Hemmingway's style. I find that it is too terse or something.
Empire of the Ants , which I read because it was likened to "Watership Down" and ended up being nothing at all like that book. :(

Pretty much every short story or book I had to read in English 101 in college was terrible. Grapes of Wrath, the Red Convertable, etc etc. With very few exceptions I'm generally not a fan of the so-named Great American Authors.
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

Unfortunately, I have a lot of these. For your perusing convenience, I have arranged a few of my (least) favorites on a scale of scarring to stupid. \:D/

Scarring
Graceling by Kristen Cashore. Quite probably the worst book I have ever read--on so many levels. 'Nuff said.
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. Following very close behind Graceling.

Pretty awful
Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. The first two books in a dystopian trilogy based on one concept: What if love was considered a disease? I gave the first one a shot and didn't like it very well, and the second one was even worse. I'm not even sure why I tried to read book two at all. Blegh.
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Lots of people adore this book, but I found it slightly disturbing, extremely weird, and very depressing.

Just plain dumb
Empty by Suzanne Weyn. I read this when I was on a dystopia kick a while ago, and it may very well have been the book that set me off the genre for a while. It reads more like a long pamphlet than a short book, with some of the most shallow characters I've ever encountered. As in, the most character growth one girl goes through during the course of the book is realizing that she looks just as cute in glasses as she does wearing contacts. Seriously?
A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan. When I first heard about this book, my reaction was pretty much, "Sci-fi Sleeping Beauty? Coooool!" And then I read the book. And it wasn't. :(
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis. Basically a mish-mash of way too many fairy tales. Generally unremarkable except for poor writing and some weirdness.
Starring Me by Krista McGee. In a rash moment, I actually purchased this book, and am now anxiously awaiting the time when I can donate it to the next library booksale.

I have more, but...:P