A License to Drive

a couple of questions

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

A License to Drive

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I was listening to "A License to Drive" and I heard something in Connie's instructions that made me wonder. She said to start the car you put it in neutral, then press the clutch and put it in first. Now my question is why would you put it in neutral? I don't know about you guys but when I am driving a manuel vehicle (my first vehicle was a manuel truck). I never put it in neutral to start because you never leave a vehicle in neutral (for obvious reasons) and so I just left it in 1st and went. So is there any reason or make of vehicle that would require you to do so? Is it "correct" procedure to do so?

Second question - Why is Eugene trying to get his driver's license before he gets his permit? Thought you had to have a permit first or back when this was written you didn't?

Now as I have continued listening, I notice Eugene is driving on public roads, so does he have his permit? You have to pass a driver's test in order to get a permit so how can he drive on public roads?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I was listening to "A License to Drive" and I heard something in Connie's instructions that made me wonder. She said to start the car you put it in neutral, then press the clutch and put it in first. Now my question is why would you put it in neutral? I don't know about you guys but when I am driving a manuel vehicle (my first vehicle was a manuel truck). I never put it in neutral to start because you never leave a vehicle in neutral (for obvious reasons) and so I just left it in 1st and went. So is there any reason or make of vehicle that would require you to do so? Is it "correct" procedure to do so?

Second question - Why is Eugene trying to get his driver's license before he gets his permit? Thought you had to have a permit first or back when this was written you didn't?

Now as I have continued listening, I notice Eugene is driving on public roads, so does he have his permit? You have to pass a driver's test in order to get a permit so how can he drive on public roads?
Good questions :) I can't really help you with the first one, because I've never driven a manual vehicle.

2. I believe (and I could be wrong) that if you're over 18 years old, you can just go straight to the drivers test, and skip the learners permit. At least I'm pretty sure how it is in my state

3. In my state, all you have to do to get your learners permit is pass a 30 question written test, of general knowledge and safety questions. There's no drive test until the one you take to get your actual license. So I've always thought that when Eugene said "I passed the written test" that he meant he was able to drive on the roads (possibly via learners permit, I'm not sure) but not by himself
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

In some states, but not all, an adult learner need only have the driver's permit for a few days before being able to get a driver's license. If the adult learner is over the age of 21, he/she may take the written test and pass for a permit, then is granted to take the driving test for a license on the same day if all fees are paid, and if it is convenient for both the DMV and the adult learner. In the state of Colorado, an adult learner over the age of 21 can take both tests on the same day, so long as the driving test is scheduled by appointment and the learner has passed and paid in full the written exam/permit first.
While wikipedia is not the most reliable source it gives a good reference. And since Focus on the Family is based in Colorado, they might follow those rules. So what you said is verifiable JP.

I didn't really know because I took Driver's Ed; therefore, all I needed was proof of registration so I really didn't know but I do kinda recall that all you had to do was pass a written test.

Although, how old is Connie in this episode? If she is less than 18, even though Eugene is over 21 I don't think she could legally be in the vehicle. I think to legally ride with Eugene the passanger would have to be a relative, spouse, or over 25. Then it could be argued that in McAllister Park they were fine because it was private (UPF owns it) and second they picked up an Adult (we assume).
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Some people who drive Standard will put it in neutral when not driving, though I don't know why; I never do.

As for the permit, I'm Canadian, so I haven't a clue how you guys do things, really. It's quite different than in Canada.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Jesus' Princess wrote:3. In my state, all you have to do to get your learners permit is pass a 30 question written test, of general knowledge and safety questions. There's no drive test until the one you take to get your actual license. So I've always thought that when Eugene said "I passed the written test" that he meant he was able to drive on the roads (possibly via learners permit, I'm not sure) but not by himself.
//nodnod That is--at least in my state--exactly it. All you have to do to get a learner's permit is to go to your local DMV, take a disproportionate chunk out of your valuable time waiting, turn in your birth certificate, Social Security number, and proof of school registration, and take a thirty question test that, should you fail, means that you definitely do not belong behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle (which goes without saying, but still). So if Eugene stated that he passed the written test but not the driving, I can only assume that he had a learner's permit, but not a license. Of course, this still raises the question of why Connie, of all people, was teaching Eugene how to drive when she was only sixteen or so at the time.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Some people who drive Standard will put it in neutral when not driving, though I don't know why; I never do.

As for the permit, I'm Canadian, so I haven't a clue how you guys do things, really. It's quite different than in Canada.
Why? Would you put into neutral? What if you forget to put the parking brake on? (bye bye vehicle) Yeah, I know its different in other countries but since the episode was written in America, I would think they would follow our rules but even between states things change.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Stop Wooton' Around wrote: I would think they would follow our rules but even between states things change.
I know around here, the law is that if you only have your learners permit then you have to be accompanied bye someone over the age of 21 who has had a valid drivers license for at least three years, and has a good driving record. I don't think Connie would fit that requirement, but who knows :)
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Just remember this aired 20 plus years ago and laws were different and much more lax back then too. :) Most states didn't even require a permit, muchless a driver over a certain age in the vehicle. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

When I got my license I just showed up and asked for one, they didn't even require proof of ID or a test or anything back then. \:D/
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

If Connie had taught him to leave it in gear, Bernard's truck never would've ran down the hill and into the tree...
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I don't know about you, but I have no problem remembering to put the parking brake on. If I ever park somewhere with a hill I always put it in gear.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:If Connie had taught him to leave it in gear, Bernard's truck never would've ran down the hill and into the tree...
=D> This is one of the most brilliant thoughts I've read on the internet in some time. I'm in awe of you, good sir. :worship:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Leonard Meltsner wrote:If Connie had taught him to leave it in gear, Bernard's truck never would've ran down the hill and into the tree...
Well, Connie didn't teach him that. In the lessons Connie said to put it into neutral, start it, then put it into first. Therefore, it didn't sit in neutral. That being said Bernard's truck had to be in neutral or there were more issues with the truck then the parking brake, as it should not roll back if its in gear (good safety percussion would be to put on the parking brake).
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Connie said to make sure that it was in neutral before starting it. That means that she intended it to be left in neutral. And... I said that he did leave it in neutral, and that that was the problem.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Connie said to make sure that it was in neutral before starting it. That means that she intended it to be left in neutral. And... I said that he did leave it in neutral, and that that was the problem.
Which totally defies any common sense (hence why Connie told him).
Loney 97
Not as new
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Planet Earth, The Solar System as We Know It. . .

Post by Loney 97 »

Where I live, once you have passed the written test, it is legal to drive on public roads as long as someone with a full drivers license is in the passenger seat.
Thank you to my SS for the great sig!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Loney 97 wrote:Where I live, once you have passed the written test, it is legal to drive on public roads as long as someone with a full drivers license is in the passenger seat.
That's pretty much the same here.

We get our learner's permit (which is just a written test), and we're allowed to drive with a licensed driver (21 years or older) in the front seat.

But then, you've got to take another written test, and a driving test, and you'll get your license.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Sounds much simpler than BC. How do you guys have to have your permits for?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Sounds much simpler than BC. How do you guys have to have your permits for?
I had mine for 9 months, but you're allowed to have it for a minimum of 6 months, and keep it as long as you want, until you're 18.

Whats it like in BC?
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Written test at 16, and you get your L (Learners').
-You can drive as long as you have someone 25 or older with a functional Class 5 (Regular) licence in the passenger seat.
-You can have one other passenger.
Road test at least one year after getting L. This gets you your N (New Driver) or Class 7 Licence. You are now 17 at the youngest.
-You can have unlimited immediate family members
-You can have 1 person only who is not family in the car, unless you've someone 25+ with a Class 5, in which case you can have many.
Another road test at least 2 years after getting N. This is your full Class 5 everyday licence. You are now 19 at the bare minimum.
-You can do whatever.