Video Game Graphics

How realistic is too realistic?

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

*bump*

Well, this is interesting. I guess back then I decided that I could handle the gore after all, and finished Half Life 2 without any trouble. And since then, I've been pretty ok with gore in movies. Still not a fan, but I can watch it now without hiding behind a cushion. So, desensitization is a... good thing? Or perhaps this is a worrying symptom, I don't know. :anxious:

New topic: desensitization to violence!
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

Desensitization: On the one hand I approve, in video games I can enjoy more of them, and in real life it can be useful in situations. On the other hand, this can cause us to be a little too complacent about violent acts.
Graphics: I like good graphics. They don't have to be amazing, or even great, just good. The original Kingdom Hearts is a good example. And I can enjoy low graphics if it's intentional, like in Crawl or Witch & Hero. But anything which is poor graphics because that is what they had, tends to be annoying to me visually; disturbs my mental function.
Violence or Gore: Personally: Realistic gore in small quantities can be immersive and enjoyable. (First Assault) Cartoon-y gore is fine and fun after a bit of desensitization. (Team Fortress 2) Morally: I suppose the only objection would be desensitization, for which, see above.
~ Walker in Dreams
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

The problem with having hyper-realistic graphics, is that bloody games look horrifying, but if that's what you're going for, that's cool. But another problem is that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo get too hung up on the graphics than the actual content of the game, same with gamers. I mean, look at Minecraft, or Mario Bros. or a lot of good games, they don't necessarily have realistic graphics, but they're great games nonetheless.
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Forza 6- great graphics, awesome game, good experience. I think you can get the total package.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

In 2D games, I personally prefer pixel-art over smooth vector-art. I suspect that is because, firstly, I am more used to pixel art and, secondly, pixel art is ordered into neat rows and columns.

In terms of desensitization, the news is likely more harmful than most video games because they show real gore.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Moontide wrote:In 2D games, I personally prefer pixel-art over smooth vector-art. I suspect that is because, firstly, I am more used to pixel art and, secondly, pixel art is ordered into neat rows and columns.

In terms of desensitization, the news is likely more harmful than most video games because they show real gore.
Agreeable here. I physically recoil at some of the videos of ISIS beheadings, while games I can generally look away from.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.