The Casual Vacancy

by J.K. Rowling

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
No way I broke the window

The Casual Vacancy

Post by 31899 »

So I picked up my copy of The Casual Vacancy at my town's 7:00am release of the book. I was the first in my town to get a copy (I was also the only person waiting). Who else is planning (or is already) reading the Casual Vacancy?

Edit: The Casual Vacancy is NOT a children's book.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

After reading some of the reviews on Amazon, totally not interested. One reviewer listed some of the content and reading the list turned me off of it completely.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Once again, the world fails to please Laurie. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jelly wrote:Once again, the world fails to please Laurie. :(
I choose not to read the book because I don't like books with the topics that are mentioned in the book. I don't like reading books that have those topics in them. Just because I am careful about what I read, how exactly does that mean that the world has failed to please me? I get more than enough of such topics in the news, does that mean that I should read books about them too?
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I have to agree with Laurie. I remember one reviewer on Amazon who compared it to a once-wholesome pop star who starts getting into "rebellious" things to prove she's "grown up". One particular point of contention was the profanity, which was not nearly as profuse in Harry Potter as it apparently is in this one. People have been comparing it to John Grisham and the like all over the place, and I've found out a lot about the book's content. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be reading it.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Click this link and read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031622 ... d_i=507846

Please note the number of one star reviews, which has gone up from 26 to 32 since I read the reviews this afternoon.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Laurie wrote:
I choose not to read the book because I don't like books with the topics that are mentioned in the book. I don't like reading books that have those topics in them. Just because I am careful about what I read, how exactly does that mean that the world has failed to please me? I get more than enough of such topics in the news, does that mean that I should read books about them too?
Heh, I think it's your overall pessimistic view of everything as opposed to just this book. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

EK wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Heh, I think it's your overall pessimistic view of everything as opposed to just this book. ;)
Yep, I'm so cynical I could be Garfield the Cat's sister.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well you know...it wouldn't be the ToO without you.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

EK wrote:Well you know...it wouldn't be the ToO without you.
Actually I think the ToO would survive very nicely if I was not here.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think it is funny that about half the 1 star reviews are really just people complaining about the high price of the Kindle edition. The other people insist they weren't reading it with their Spectrespecs, but couldn't get Harry Potter off their mind. And freaked out about an adult book having adult language and situations. And many of them only read the first 25% of the book and didn't care to see how it wrapped up.

Seriously, it would be nearly impossible for her to even try to match the success of Harry. There's no way to live up to the expectations. This seems more like a slice of Brit life in a small town type story, maybe more mundane than readers wanted. It's not their art though, it's hers. And that's a problem with art and expression- you need to tell your story as well as make it commercially viable. I think as much as there is a "This isn't magical!!" backlash, she'll sell enough based on name alone. I think I'd like the story, but then I like boring British dramas. :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I definitely want to read it, although it doesn't necessarily look like my "type" of book that much. But I really want to see what her "grown up" voice reads like.

JK Rowling is rich enough off Harry Potter that she doesn't need any more monetary success. For that reason, I think it will be neat to see what she writes for the next few years because she may be more willing to break some rules and push some boundaries. Which is obviously not really possible with a popular kids' book series.
Laurie wrote:Click this link and read the reviews.

Please note the number of one star reviews, which has gone up from 26 to 32 since I read the reviews this afternoon.

Erm...I wouldn't really put much stock in most of those one star reviews. reading through them, 90 percent of them are people who are like "Why isn't this like Harry Potter!?!?!?" "This book isn't for a HP audience!!" "This is a GROWN UP book!?!?" and stuff like that. Also most people didn't even finish the books, and in my opinion it is extremely unfair to give a review (especially such a negative one) without first having read the entire thing).
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Kait wrote:I definitely want to read it, although it doesn't necessarily look like my "type" of book that much. But I really want to see what her "grown up" voice reads like.

JK Rowling is rich enough off Harry Potter that she doesn't need any more monetary success. For that reason, I think it will be neat to see what she writes for the next few years because she may be more willing to break some rules and push some boundaries. Which is obviously not really possible with a popular kids' book series.
Laurie wrote:Click this link and read the reviews.

Erm...I wouldn't really put much stock in most of those one star reviews. reading through them, 90 percent of them are people who are like "Why isn't this like Harry Potter!?!?!?" "This book isn't for a HP audience!!" "This is a GROWN UP book!?!?" and stuff like that. Also most people didn't even finish the books, and in my opinion it is extremely unfair to give a review (especially such a negative one) without first having read the entire thing).

I don't pay attention to any of the reviews reviews on Amazon. My mother once told me that a review is just one person's opinion and the only thing that matters is whether or not I like a book. I had heard on TV about the content and used the reviews to verify my reason for not buying or reading the book. I had already decided based on the TV reports that I was not going to buy it or read it before I posted the reviews here. There are most likely some here who won't like my reasoning but that's their problem. I enjoy what I read and I know what I like. I know without even looking at this book that I would not enjoy it at all.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Laurie wrote:
Nah, you're like the grumpy old grandma type. There always there, if they weren't, the universe would implode! :x
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Kait wrote:in my opinion it is extremely unfair to give a review (especially such a negative one) without first having read the entire thing
Depends on why you didn’t finish it. If it was because the book was unreadably atrocious, then of course that warrants a negative review. Why would you have to suffer through the rest just to confirm your displeasure?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

EK wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Nah, you're like the grumpy old grandma type. There always there, if they weren't, the universe would implode! :x
Must be my Garfield persona.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

bookworm wrote:
Kait wrote:in my opinion it is extremely unfair to give a review (especially such a negative one) without first having read the entire thing
Depends on why you didn’t finish it. If it was because the book was unreadably atrocious, then of course that warrants a negative review. Why would you have to suffer through the rest just to confirm your displeasure?

Because I personally believe in giving everything a fair shake, even if that means suffering through.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Back before Twilight was popular and the books had just came out, this girl at my school gave me the first one to read. It was atrocious. I couldn't finish it. >_>
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

EK wrote:Back before Twilight was popular and the books had just came out, this girl at my school gave me the first one to read. It was atrocious. I couldn't finish it. >_>
Twilight is very awful. My cousin recommended the series to me. I got to chapter Seventeen in the first book before I had to quit. We should keep in mind however that this topic is not about Twilight.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

31899: Causing controversy since 2009.