Anyone like literature?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
sheltiez
Hexadecimal teenager

Anyone like literature?

Post by sheltiez »

Does anyone on this board like literature? I LOVE literature! I especially like Leo Tolstoy, William Wordsworth, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, John Donn, etc. I love them all basically!
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Not that much but I like some
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
ique
Found

Post by ique »

Nope. Hate the stuff.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I would like to inquire as to how we are defining literature for this topic. "How are we defining literature for this topic?"
sheltiez
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by sheltiez »

Literature as in poetry, short stories, novels, and other kinds from basically before 1950 or the modern era.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

sheltiez wrote:Does anyone on this board like literature? I LOVE literature! I especially like Leo Tolstoy, William Wordsworth, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, John Donn, etc. I love them all basically!
Well, literature is quite a broad topic, but I love literature as you specified it as well. \:D/

I really just read old books. :p
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

sheltiez wrote:Literature as in poetry, short stories, novels, and other kinds from basically before 1950 or the modern era.
I encourage your next library trip to include an attempt to find a copy of M. H. Abrams' A Glossary of Literary Terms and look up 'literature.'

It would appear that your interest awaits the Romantic and Victorian periods of English literature. Is there a specific work you would like to discuss?
Last edited by 31899 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheltiez
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by sheltiez »

I meant all literature not just the Romantic and Victorian periods. Everything from the "Epic of Gilgamesh" to Robert Frost.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I think what 31899 is trying to say, is that 'literature' is the art of writtten work, regardless of publication, time period, or format.
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

I like reading, but literature in school this past year was really boring and hard to get through. I guess it is because the story selections I didn't have any taste for.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Maximus Meridius wrote:I think what 31899 is trying to say, is that 'literature' is the art of writtten work, regardless of publication, time period, or format.
Yeah. "literature" includes everything written from the Epic of Gilgamesh up to the modern day. I usually hear it in the context of the written word, but technically, it might cover all media as well as all time periods. (Come to think of it, would you count the works of William Shakespeare in there?)

I think "classical" might help you here. I do like me some Mark Twain...
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

The oldest i have read is i think Beowulf.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

sheltiez wrote:Does anyone on this board like literature? I LOVE literature! I especially like Leo Tolstoy, William Wordsworth, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, John Donn, etc. I love them all basically!
Define "literature."

According to many of my teenage friends, literature is basically all novels.

According to many of my adult friends, literature is all the classics (Verne, Twain, etc.), with a few exceptions...

So, my question is, what do you mean by "literature?"
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Once-ler wrote:
Define "literature."

According to many of my teenage friends, literature is basically all novels.

According to many of my adult friends, literature is all the classics (Verne, Twain, etc.), with a few exceptions...

So, my question is, what do you mean by "literature?"
Already been answered. ;)
sheltiez wrote:Literature as in poetry, short stories, novels, and other kinds from basically before 1950 or the modern era.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I love classic literature. Ever since I got my Amazon Kindle I've been diving into Classic Lit and I've been loving it. I just finished "Great Expectations" (By Charles Dickens) And have just started Howard Pyle's "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood." After finishing "Robin Hood" I am going to read "The Cat of Bubastes" by G.A. Henty.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Taps wrote:I love classic literature. Ever since I got my Amazon Kindle I've been diving into Classic Lit and I've been loving it. I just finished "Great Expectations" (By Charles Dickens) And have just started Howard Pyle's "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood." After finishing "Robin Hood" I am going to read "The Cat of Bubastes" by G.A. Henty.
I read "Great Expectations" in high school and definitely liked it. I also read "The Cat of Bubastes" years ago (can't remember when exactly) but it was really good, Taps. I enjoy Jane Austen, and am also recently getting into the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Till the end of the line.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I had to read Great Expectations my senior year, and I did not like it at all. It was incredibly depressing. :P Since then, I've heard a lot of people say they like it, so maybe I missed something. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Great Expectations was super depressing. But pretty much every book by Dickens is depressing.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I had to read Great Expectations my senior year, and I did not like it at all. It was incredibly depressing. :P Since then, I've heard a lot of people say they like it, so maybe I missed something. ;)
Really? At my high school they have you read it in ninth grade. (Maybe that was why nobody really liked it. :P) All the Pre-AP English classes (and regular too, I think) had to read Great Expectations, and most people complained about how overly-detailed and boring it was; even with his great enjoyment of books, my brother looks back on it and complains about how difficult it was to slog through.

The only book I've read that can truly be considered a "classic" is "To Kill A Mockingbird", and even then, it's a modern classic. (I love and adore that book, but that's beside the point.) I've seen classic book covers and read their descriptions, and they don't sound very good to me at all. (Here's the part where someone exclaims at the atrocity of my finding classic books boring-looking. :P)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Not to show off or anything, but I found Great Expectations to be quite an easy read, and entertaining almost the whole way through. The original ending was depressing, but there was also an alternate ending Dickens wrote that was a bit happier.