Anyone like literature?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Ginny Weasley wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I had to read Great Expectations my senior year, and I did not like it at all. It was incredibly depressing. :P Since then, I've heard a lot of people say they like it, so maybe I missed something. ;)
Really? At my high school they have you read it in ninth grade. (Maybe that was why nobody really liked it. :P) All the Pre-AP English classes (and regular too, I think) had to read Great Expectations, and most people complained about how overly-detailed and boring it was; even with his great enjoyment of books, my brother looks back on it and complains about how difficult it was to slog through.

The only book I've read that can truly be considered a "classic" is "To Kill A Mockingbird", and even then, it's a modern classic. (I love and adore that book, but that's beside the point.) I've seen classic book covers and read their descriptions, and they don't sound very good to me at all. (Here's the part where someone exclaims at the atrocity of my finding classic books boring-looking. :P)

We have a local gift shop called Boo Radley's and the owners recently opened a coffee shop called Atticus. I love that book so those two shops hold a special place in my heart \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Love it. Jane Austen is my favorite author of all time ever ever ever. Jane Eyre was another book that really touched me. I'm trying my best to read as many classics as I can, because they're just SO WONDERFUL. Right now I'm attempting to read both Slaughterhouse-Five and Catch-22. Both are right up my alley. Slaughterhouse-Five has time travel stuff, and I can't decide if it's hilarious or incredibly sad, while Catch-22 is just plain funny.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

ric wrote:Not to show off or anything, but I found Great Expectations to be quite an easy read, and entertaining almost the whole way through. The original ending was depressing, but there was also an alternate ending Dickens wrote that was a bit happier.
Yes, I found it rather easy too. :-k But my mom always read me classic lit books when I was younger- so I'm pretty used to it.