ADVICE WANTED

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
mymustang12
Lurker

ADVICE WANTED

Post by mymustang12 »

I hope that I am posting this is the right place, I am very new here so you'll have to excuse my mistake this time. :)
So this is my question:
I like to read, [notice I did not say love :)] and have spent many a day reading inspirational books for daughters and have not spent hardly any time reading story's. If you know what I mean. I am interested in reading some fiction this summer, but find it hard to know exactly what read will be the best use of my time. What are some fictional novels or series that you all have read or are reading that you could recommend? Note: I am not interested in anything that is too heavily focused on romance. If someone is engaged or getting married that's fine, but nothing along the lines of a romance novel. :)

Thanks for you help!
What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

If you have never read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, definitely start with them. \:D/ Ted Dekker's Circle series is also fabulous.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

The Princess and the Goblins & The Princess and Curdie by George McDonald are great. ^.^ Reading(or re-reading) the Narnia books in chronological order is always exciting as well. :yes:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

You posted this thread in exactly the right place, no worries! I'd definitely reccomend the Redwall series by Brian Jacques (starting with the book Redwall, chronological order doesn't too much matter), if you want to read something more adult and mind-bending esque, I'd say read House of Leaves by Mark Danielwski, and I know it's rather mainstream to suggest but the Hunger Games by Suzane Collins (I believe that's the authors name, I'm going off of memory here) is an amazing read.

A few more I could suggest would be in lieu of the recent batman craze, reading a graphic novel called The Dark Knoght Returns by Frank Miller, it was written in the 80s and is basically the catalyst for people taking comics and their plot lines seriously, it stands as a great story even if you aren't a big fan of comic books. Also, I'd reccomend some classics if you haven't read them before such as Lord of the Flies, The Giver, and The Hobbit (all very elementary books, but an amazing and very eye-opening read at any age.)

Hope this helps a little bit, be sure to let us know what you end up reading! :)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Like Jelly said I'd recomend "The Hunger Games", "The Dark Knight Returns" "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit." Another good series is the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

How about the Little House on the Prairie series? \:D/ Also good are the Anne of Green Gables series, the Little Women books, the Trailblazer series, and the multiple series by Robert Elmer (The Young Underground, Adventures Down Under, and Promise of Zion).
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Do you like books that are kind of out there (Dystopian, Sci-Fi, Fantasy etc.)?

If so, I reccomend Scott Westerfeld's books.

Also, "Heir Apparent," by Vivian Vande Velde was pretty good.
Basically, this girl gets "trapped" in a virtual reality video game, and must get to the end of the game in order to get out.
Cheesy, I know, but it has a good story line, and some fairly exciting parts too.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Charis

Post by Charis »

Loki wrote:Ted Dekker's Circle series is also fabulous.
This. I would always recommend this series. :inlove:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I definitely agree with whoever said Lord of the Rings, and Little House on the Prairie, and Anne of Green Gables. Those are all excellent books! :)

Also, the Women of the West series by Janette Oke is really good, as is anything by Karen Kingsbury :)