Katy Perry

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Katy Perry

Post by jelly »

We had a Katy Perry topic awhile ago but it got locked for some unnecessary reason (can we just veto the 'no bumping!' rule already?), so I'm starting a new one. Justin Bieber has his own topic and he isn't even half as fascinating as Katy Perry, so.

..usually I would just ignore the "let's make a 3D documentary about a pop celebrity so we can exploit their personal lives and make lots of money" movies that have been popular recently (Justin Bieber's Never Say Never, etc), but I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16NvLCk2CY

Her music is.. at worst, simply hedonistic.. at best, shallow and materialistic humanism (I love how her Firework song is hailed as some sort of profound inspiration). Part of me wonders how much of her iconic image is a statement of rebellion against her upbringing, or how much she's simply a victim of marketing objectification and American wealth. It'll be interesting to see how honest the filmmakers are with her story, and what she believes in anymore.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Boy, they'll make a movie about just about anyone these days, won't they...

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Honestly, Katy Perry isn't a great musician. And even more honestly, her lyrics match her musicianship. Shallow. However, this movie sounds sort of interesting, though there's no way I'd go see it.
he/him | a little stinker.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I've heard some of her music, on things like Dance Dance Revolution and Just Dance, and on the radio. Her music is decent at best. At worst- it's terrible. I agree with Steve, the movie will be interesting, but I'm not going to go see it.

I hope it flops. *Evil Laughter*
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

-actually likes "Firework"-

I'm not seeing that movie. Other than "Firework", which is the only song I actually like and which unfortunately has some terrible content in its video, I can't stand the rest of her music. It's little more than sensual, shallow garbage.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Other than "Firework", which is the only song I actually like and which unfortunately has some terrible content in its video...
I don't remember any 'terrible content'...

Guys, the point isn't about only seeing this movie if you like Katy Perry or her music. I'm interested in seeing it because I believe her life is fascinating story.. I want to find out how her strictly religious upbringing effected her artistic expression, both for better or worse, and whether her current image is an act of rebellion or if there's any intentional meaning beyond the 'weirdness'.

I mean, TV spots like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqVVZ-WJvsQ

..really make me curious to see how honest the filmmakers will be with her story.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Jelly wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:Other than "Firework", which is the only song I actually like and which unfortunately has some terrible content in its video...
It had some imagery of a same-sex relationship, which some see as "terrible" I guess.

Honestly Katy Perry doesn't fascinate me at all, her music is boring, recycled and uninteresting. The lyrics from firework sounds like they were written by a 14 year old, in about 5 minutes, "Make em go uh, uh, uh, as you shoot across the sky, sky sky." ......really?

Honestly there's millions of people that have been brought up in christian upbringings that turned away from it. The difference with her is that she's famous, and makes "Music."

Not to mention there's much, MUCH more interesting musicians they could make movies about...

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The Hippie wrote:
Jelly wrote:
It had some imagery of a same-sex relationship, which some see as "terrible" I guess.
lawl.
The Hippie wrote:Not to mention there's much, MUCH more interesting musicians they could make movies about...
Like..

:inlove:
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

While I only enjoy a couple of Katy Perry's songs (though I must say, I like her new single, Wide Awake), the trailers for the movie definitely intrigue me...I would like to find out more about the person behind the crazy outfits and wigs.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I felt like I was never allowed to even think for myself.. and all the sudden.. my heart wants to do all kinds of things..
Last edited by jelly on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I did like the song Firework, and I do listen to some others just because they are catchy. :-

and I probably won't be seeing this movie.

Till the end of the line.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

you guys are wretched. :noway:

..honestly I feel like it'll probably be airbrushed fluff, but there's that SLIM CHANCE that the filmmakers will stumble upon something worth saying, and that's enough for me to go see it. \:D/
Last edited by jelly on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

This movie caught me by surprise when I saw it was rated PG. I for sure thought it would be at least pg-13 so I might give this movie a shot. Though my respect for her decreased as soon as I learned that she dropped out of highschool during her freshman year..... I mean really? Freshman year?
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So I finally had a chance to see this during its second run through theaters. Loved it. \:D/

..honestly I feel kinda like all my lame friends who went to see the Justin Bieber movie and came out suddenly in love with him, but I won't deny that the behind-the-scenes fairy tale-esque production is aesthetically heartwarming and strangely inspiring. Sure, there was the obligatory element of "Katy was just a normal girl and she beat all the odds and she loves her fans etc...", but there was also a surprising depth of genuine personality on display. You won't believe me unless you go out of your way to see it for yourself. ;) Which I know you won't. But if you ever have the chance to check it out, remember that it's Jelly-recommended!

A couple of girls in the row behind me were literally in sobs at one point close to the end. I wasn't.. quite there, but I was left undoubtedly touched to an emotionally satisfying extent. Katy Perry is a likable, honest and personable musician with a lot of talent and a great story. At the end of her final performance, amidst colorful chaos, obsessive fans and production splendor following various trails of emotional turmoil and heartbreak, Katy distinctly looks heavenward and whispers a prayer of thanks to her Creator. I was left wanting to see more.
Last edited by jelly on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Katy Perry totally can't sing. The only reason she is so popular is because auto tune exists.

And if an artist can't sing. Or can't play an instrument, I reaaaaaally don't respect them. So yeah. Don't like Katy Perry. At least the Beibs can legit sing and play an instrument. He just sold his soul to horrible music.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
ique
Found

Post by ique »

You guys are such hipsters.
It's pop music. Of course it isn't "deep".
Plus her voice has that nice crackle to it, and she always looks like bubblegum.

I'd go see it, maybe. I can get free movie tickets because of this barter programme thing =D but I need to see Brave first.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Thank you, ick. ;)

But yes. Definitely see Brave first.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Katy Perry has intrigued me; at least, her story has. However, I just cannot see how anyone in their right mind can make music like that and be happy with themselves, even if they have millions of fans and make millions of dollars. I really am not a hipster, but please.

She mentions Radiohead in one of her songs. No true fan of Radiohead could sing "The One that Got Away" with a straight face. :p

Needless to say, I will not be seeing the movie.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

LOL, Jelly. Stop trying to trick people into seeing this. >_>
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

LIES & DECEIT.