Ask Blessed Cheesemaker

The place for all those "Questions for this fascinating user" threads so they're all in one place!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

So are you at a university campus during the day? Local college? Is your major a 4 year? I would imagine going to classes would interfere with your cheesemaking. Or is it in such a way that the cheese can be suspended at one stage for an extended period of the time? Does it have to be done all at one time? Do your classes interfere with your business? How long has your family owned the business? Generational? Centuries? Eons? Cheese has been around for a long time, since it is pure goodness in solid form. :yes:
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Whitty Whit wrote:So are you at a university campus during the day?
Only on Tuesdays and Thurdays this semester.
Whitty Whit wrote:Local college?
It is about fifty minutes away.
Whitty Whit wrote:Is your major a 4 year?
Yes, but due to problems with transferring classes from a community college, I have to take an extra semester.
Whitty Whit wrote:I would imagine going to classes would interfere with your cheesemaking. Or is it in such a way that the cheese can be suspended at one stage for an extended period of the time? Does it have to be done all at one time? Do your classes interfere with your business?
Most of our production time is during the summer when I am not taking classes. And we usually only make cheese on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Also, most of the cheese-making process can be done by one person, once the milk is in the cheese vat. We only need several people for the last few steps. One person could do all of it themselves if they had to, but it would take a long time.
Whitty Whit wrote:How long has your family owned the business? Generational? Centuries? Eons? Cheese has been around for a long time, since it is pure goodness in solid form. :yes:
We had another cheese-maker produce it for us during our first few years. Then we built our own production plant in the bottom of our hay barn six years ago. So our business has only been around that long.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

What photo editor do you use?

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

How big is the production plant? Is this a commercial business? Meaning, do you sell it to stores like WalMart or something?
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

Graces4you wrote:What photo editor do you use?
I have both Photoshop CS5 and Fireworks CS5 (another Adobe product specifically for web design). I also have used GIMP and Inkscape. Which I use depends on what computer I have and what I am creating.
Whitty Whit wrote:How big is the production plant? Is this a commercial business? Meaning, do you sell it to stores like WalMart or something?
Our production room is about 20x40 feet. We also have two coolers where we store our cheese until we sell it. One is about 10x30 feet and the other is about 20x15. At the end of the production each fall we usually have both as full of cheese as we can get them. We have a cheese vat that can hold 3000 lbs. of milk (about 350 gallons) at a time, which becomes 300 lbs. of cheese. I think we made about 13,000 lbs. of cheese last year. At this point we can't make enough to sell to Wal-mart, but we do sell to several stores in our area, and in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. We also attend two farmers markets during the summer and possible a third this summer.
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Blessed Cheesemaker wrote:
Graces4you wrote:What photo editor do you use?
I have both Photoshop CS5 and Fireworks CS5 (another Adobe product specifically for web design). I also have used GIMP and Inkscape. Which I use depends on what computer I have and what I am creating.
We just got Photoshop CS5(upgrade from CS3) from our neighbor who works for Adobe, but he's getting laid off :( and I'm excited to see the different features of it, I've tried using gimp, but was unsuccessful, thank you, all of your signatures and avatars you've made are quite lovely \:D/

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Blessed Cheesemaker wrote:Our production room is about 20x40 feet. We also have two coolers where we store our cheese until we sell it. One is about 10x30 feet and the other is about 20x15. At the end of the production each fall we usually have both as full of cheese as we can get them. We have a cheese vat that can hold 3000 lbs. of milk (about 350 gallons) at a time, which becomes 300 lbs. of cheese. I think we made about 13,000 lbs. of cheese last year. At this point we can't make enough to sell to Wal-mart, but we do sell to several stores in our area, and in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. We also attend two farmers markets during the summer and possible a third this summer.
How do y'all handle the multiple markets...a few members of your family at each? Do you need a refrigerator for your cheese during market, and if so, how do you handle that? I'm curious because I have to have one for my cheesecakes and cold pies, but it seems like last week people didn't see them on the table and therefore didn't buy them. I had signs and pictures too. Just wondering if you have a glass front fridge or something like that so people can see the product? :-k

Oh, and do you have sales/other taxes already figured into your posted prices, or do you add tax upon checkout? My sister and I went with posting a lower price and adding tax, but then several people told us that we were the ONLY ones at the market that did that. Oops. So this week we're changing, but I just hate to put a higher sounding price on my signs...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

That's interesting. How long have you personally been making cheese?
#FOREVERKITTY
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

Laura Ingalls wrote:How do y'all handle the multiple markets...a few members of your family at each?
Yeah, pretty much. Mom and one of my siblings (differs each week) do one of the markets. Mom and Dad do our biggest market, while we do the morning milking. I and one of my siblings will be doing the third. Each market is on a different day of the week though.
Laura Ingalls wrote:Do you need a refrigerator for your cheese during market, and if so, how do you handle that? I'm curious because I have to have one for my cheesecakes and cold pies, but it seems like last week people didn't see them on the table and therefore didn't buy them. I had signs and pictures too. Just wondering if you have a glass front fridge or something like that so people can see the product? :-k
Our cheese is aged so it is actually fairly shelf stable (our cheese coolers are only set at about 60*F). We just use coolers with ice packs. We do put out a piece of each flavor on an icepack on our table, but we also have samples for people to try. I'm trying to remember what I have seen set up for other bakers at markets.... I think most of the ones I have seen only do warm pies.
Laura Ingalls wrote:Oh, and do you have sales/other taxes already figured into your posted prices, or do you add tax upon checkout? My sister and I went with posting a lower price and adding tax, but then several people told us that we were the ONLY ones at the market that did that. Oops. So this week we're changing, but I just hate to put a higher sounding price on my signs...
I don't think we have to put tax on our food products.
Whitty Whit wrote:That's interesting. How long have you personally been making cheese?
I've been helping since we started. Mom and Dad usually milk the cows, so one of my siblings or I have to add the cultures and monitor the first part of the process. If Dad has to do other things, I have done the whole process myself already.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Blessed Cheesemaker wrote:Each market is on a different day of the week though.
Ah. For some reason, that perfectly logical explanation didn't occur to me. ;)
Blessed Cheesemaker wrote:I don't think we have to put tax on our food products.
Hmm, really? Wow, PA is better than VA then. I not only have to collect sales tax (state), but also meals tax (local). Grr.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

We sell our cheese for off site consumption, so we don't have to put a meals tax on it.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Can you spell out DNA without looking at a dictionary? (or anything else that would help you spell it)
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

DNA duh! (or did you mean deoxyribonucleic acid?)