MUSICAL INSPIRATON

...I haz none. :(

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

MUSICAL INSPIRATON

Post by Amethystic »

Okay, so basically I have drained every nuance of creative energy out of my iTunes playlist, and therefore can no longer draw inspiration for my science-fiction stories from it. :( Therefore, I am requesting that everyone post the most creative, most unique, most epic music they have heard, in hopes that I will have something catchy and thought-provoking to motivate me as I exercise my creative writing skills. To give you some idea of what I'm looking for, previous writing inspirations have included:

-Relient K
-House of Heroes
-Owl City
-Switchfoot
-Skillet (rarely, I'm not a huge fan)
-Falling Up
-Capital Lights
-Chameleon Circuit (yes, that's right, I'm into Trock music)
-RED (not too heavy)

So, if anyone has a song or band that you think has a story waiting behind it, especially an action-adventure story, please let me know! :pray:
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Amethystic wrote:Okay, so basically I have drained every nuance of creative energy out of my iTunes playlist, and therefore can no longer draw inspiration for my science-fiction stories from it. :(
I know longer feel crazy. ^_^

I love listening to Steve Green's 'We Believe' album. The only bad thing is, I started listening to it while I fell asleep, so now whenever I listen to it I get sleepy right away. :P Especially the songs, "All Across the Sky" and "I Will Serve the Lord", maybe "Let The Walls Fall Down" too. \:D/

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Hum, Casting Crowns? I haven't heard much but I love "Courageous" :p
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

:lol: that was funny....

Anyway, Amy, as far as a song with a possible action story behind it, I think of Eye of the Tiger \:D/
But for just creative music as well as rockier music I suggest: Stellar Kart, Newsboys (before and after Tait), Mumford and Sons, Civil Wars, Waka Waka by Shakira, Uprising by Muse, anything by Adele and epic movie soundtracks (like Braveheart, or Inception).
I have no idea if you'll be interested in any of these, but I think they're worth checking out :)

Till the end of the line.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Hum, Casting Crowns? I haven't heard much but I love "Courageous" :p
They are good, I mainly like their Christmas music. O:)

Amy, try LotR, Star Wars, Narnia, or Doctor Who sound tracts. They are amazing. \:D/

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

The Kings Daughter wrote:Amy, try LotR, Star Wars, Narnia, or Doctor Who sound tracts. They are amazing. \:D/
This \:D/

And if you want something really dramatic, you could try the Jaws theme.

You should look up Lindsey Sterling :inlove: She is simply fabulous.
*insert provocative quote here*
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I do enjoy soundtrack music, but honestly I've been pumping myself so full of Music To Test By and Port Blue that non-lyrical music has lost its effect on me for the time being, and as much as I like praise and worship music it usually doesn't do it for me creativity-wise. (Usually. I'm sure I have exceptions.) Also, normally with stuff like this just listing bands can be good, but could you guys give me a song or two to start off with? It gives me a foothold, so to speak. :yes:
Shennifer wrote:Anyway, Amy, as far as a song with a possible action story behind it, I think of Eye of the Tiger \:D/
But for just creative music as well as rockier music I suggest: Stellar Kart, Newsboys (before and after Tait), Mumford and Sons, Civil Wars, Waka Waka by Shakira, Uprising by Muse, anything by Adele and epic movie soundtracks (like Braveheart, or Inception).
I have no idea if you'll be interested in any of these, but I think they're worth checking out :)
Shakira? If you say so... *skeptical* And both Stellar Kart and Newsboys are great, but they're also very worshippy. But again, if you know a specific song or two by them that you think could suit my purposes let me know.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

So I went a bit mad...

Index:
W - Has words
N - No words

N - I think I may have told you about this song but "October" by Eric Whitacre.
Original Version
Orchestra Version
I personally like the Orchestra Version better

Beware YouTube advertisements can be annoying (I tried to find versions without advertisements, but that was sometimes difficult)

Other songs you might like include but are not limited to:
W -Not Edward Cullen by Hank Green (okay, this one is sort of a joke, but you might like some of his other music)
W - 9 Crimes by Damien Rice (it's a bit of a quieter song)
W - 9 Crimes cover by Katherine Crowe
W - Apologize by One Republic (I like this song because I got to play a really well arranged String Orchestra version that unfortunately no recording of exists). [You may not like it, but you also have different tastes than myself]
N - Inside Out lyricless version by Hillsong
N - Drifen by Shirl Jay Atwell (this is a bit of a quiet recording so you might need to turn up the volume a tiny bit)(It's also an amateur recording *sigh*)
N -Lindsey Stirling is a great artist, this is a link to her channel and the songs I would definitely check out are River Flows In You (a softer song) and Shadows (a heavier song)
W - Adele's music is also fantastic Rolling in the Deep, Turning Tables
W - Arcade Fire has good music too but they are a bit heavier The Suburbs, The Suburbs Continued, Power Out, Rebellion (lies)

Edit: I found this song today and I am not yet sure if I like it: Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri

Sorry if that is too much or you do not like it.

Last edited by 31899 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Shennifer wrote:Anyway, Amy, as far as a song with a possible action story behind it, I think of Eye of the Tiger \:D/
Shakira? If you say so... *skeptical* And both Stellar Kart and Newsboys are great, but they're also very worshippy. But again, if you know a specific song or two by them that you think could suit my purposes let me know.
Waka Waka is more of a dancey type song, but in a good way :yes: it was the world cup song in 2010 in South Africa.

And as far as Stellar Kart goes....maybe Livin on a Prayer (cover of Bon Jovi's song), or Student Driver;and Come Back Home most of their songs are indeed, a tad more worshipful I guess.
Last edited by Shennifer on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Camouflage by Brad Paisley is a good song. I also like Knee Deep by the Zac Brown Band.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I'd suggest ThePianoGuys. Just look them up on youtube. They may do instrumental, but they are amazing. Oh, and you should definitely check out their song "Cello Wars". Really awesome!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Instrumental/soundtrack-wise, I'd go for the National Treasure soundtrack. One of my favorite more modern-sounding soundtracks, it's sort of rocky/electronic at times. :yes:

Arcade Fire, like 31899 mentioned, might actually be inspirational at times... it's very subtle and indie sounding. That would be something I'd check out.

Oh yeah, and Shennifer mentioned Muse. Pretty much anything by them would be great for a sci-fi/action-adventure story. \:D/
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Mat Kearney and NEEDTOBREATHE both tend to be very inspiring, and they aren't very "worshippy." Try "Ships in the Night" and "Hey Mama" by Mat Kearney. And try "Slumber" "Drive All Night" and definitely "Through Smoke" from NEEDTOBREATHE.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Okay, here's all of what I evaluated thus far:

"October" by Eric Whitacre - I do like Whitacre's music muchly, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for in this instance. Still, this song is beautiful.

"Not Edward Cullen" by Hank Green - :lol: No, but nice selection.

"9 Crimes" by Damien Rice (and covered by Katherine Crowe) - I liked this song. *nods* This is the kind of thing I'm looking for, or something similar to this.

"Apologize" by One Republic - It's an okay song, but not what I'm looking for.

"Inside Out" instrumental by Hillsong - Nice, but like I said before, I need to deviate from instrumental for a while.

"Drifen" by Shirl Jay Atwell - Oooh, I'm saving this for when I'm in an orchestraic mood.

"Shadows" and "River Flows In You" by Lindsey Stirling - another amazing but wordless artist. (Though I must note, the music videos are especially interesting. Interesting music videos also count for something, so if you know a song with a neat video, let me know.)

"Rolling in the Deep" and "Turning Tables" by Adele - Adele is a great artist, but there always seems to be a single reoccuring theme with her.

"The Suburbs" Arcade Fire - They're interesting, I guess, but maybe a bit too indie for my tastes?

"Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri - I kind of liked this song, if only for the essential vampirism and gothic elements of the music video.

"Camouflage" by Brad Paisley - Way too country and way too redneck, but very funny. :P

"Knee Deep" by Zac Brown Band - Another country song? Ehhh... not very adventurey.

"Waka Waka" by Shakira - Meh.

"Come Back Home" and "Student Driver" by Stellar Kart - Hmmm... closer. I need to mull this over. (And I'll just restate again, I do like Stellar Kart, they're just not usually a creative spark for me.)

"Uprising" by Muse - YES. THAT'S PERFECT. (And the music video was pretty awesome too.) Though this is probably where I max out when it comes to edgy lyrics.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Amethystic wrote:"Uprising" by Muse - YES. THAT'S PERFECT. (And the music video was pretty awesome too.) Though this is probably where I max out when it comes to edgy lyrics.
Haha \:D/

Oh, and some Edison Glass might be good, especially "Without a Sound." I've always thought that song sounds really sci-fi-ish.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Pip wrote:
Amethystic wrote:"Uprising" by Muse - YES. THAT'S PERFECT. (And the music video was pretty awesome too.) Though this is probably where I max out when it comes to edgy lyrics.
Yay! one of my suggestions was chosen. And I guess Waka Waka didn't really fit with your vision; it's okay, it's not everyone's cup of tea ;)

Steve

Post by Steve »

"Evil Genius" by eleventyseven.

For sure.
he/him | a little stinker.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Sons of God, "The Genesis Prologue". It's a three song EP and what I listened to ALL OF NANO both years. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Steve

Post by Steve »

Actually, I have like... a zillion instrumental songs I made. If you want, I'll send you links to download them.
he/him | a little stinker.