Adam Young is the Bomb

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:I'm currently listening to "Dementia" on my computer right now. Can I just say that it's next to IMPOSSIBLE to feel like a worm after listening to this song? :D LOVE IT.
Dementia is an amazing song \:D/
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Did anyone else go to the live streaming party? Aaaah, it was so much fun. My sister and I hung out and watched it, and my mom came in and dramatically squealed when she saw Adam on the screen. So far, I love the songs. I haven't bought the album yet, but I definitely will at some point. Why doesn't my public library have music?
Taps

Post by Taps »

I own the album (My sister bought the physical copy, if she didn't I would have bought it anyway) and... I am in love with this album. I don't think it's quite as good as ATBAB But I think it is AS good or better than Ocean Eyes. I mean- It's a little more poppy and mainstream than usual, but besides "Good Time" I can still tell it's him, and his lyrics are still witty and fit with the song. And every single one is as catchy and fun as ever. (Except maybe "Good Time" ;) ) My favorite songs off the album right now:

Dementia
I'm Coming After You
Embers
Silhouette
Bombshell Blonde
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I told myself I wasn't going to, but... I bought The Midsummer Station. :-
Taps

Post by Taps »

Every REAL Owl City fan should buy it.

*Cough* Steve *Cough*

What are your favorite tracks thus far? If you get the time you should tell me in detail what you think of it \:D/
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I haven't gotten to listening to all of it yet, but out of the tracks I've heard thus far my favorites are "Dementia" and "Silhouette". :yes:
Taps

Post by Taps »

Amethystic wrote:I haven't gotten to listening to all of it yet, but out of the tracks I've heard thus far my favorites are "Dementia" and "Silhouette". :yes:
Yes, those are my two favorites as well. I still can't decide which I like better.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I would get it, but my mom hates drums. I finally convinced her to let me listen, but not to the heavy stuff, and not all day.

I mean how exactly are drums bad? Is there any decent reason? And now I can't let my mom listen to some awesome songs because she wouldn't like the drums.

Oh I just wish......
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Joy: I think the issue with drums (for some people, not for me) is that they have been used in secular bands, and were thus thought of as bad. Also, historically, I think tribal drums or something were used in pagan ceremonies that were evil.
I personally don't think drums or any instrument in itself is bad; it's the lyrics that make the song or the band a good or bad one. :)

Oh Owl City; I haven't listened to it lately. I definitely like Adam Young and his music though; I definitely want to listen to the albums I haven't heard yet. \:D/

Till the end of the line.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I just bought The Midsummer Station last night and have already listened to it several times. :P The only thing that I don't really like about it is that Carly Rae Jepson is on it, but Good Time is still kind of a fun song. I'd probably say that Silhouette and Take It All Away are my favorite tracks.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Poor Carly.... just because she writes one stupid song. :(

I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THIS YET. :mecry: Maybe for Christmas. xD
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

After spending some time listening and assessing, I've decided that this album gets a four out of five--the Shooting Star EP mostly consisted of the worst songs on the album, but the album itself had lots of fairly good tracks on it. :yes: It didn't surprise me, though, to find out that the only two songs Adam wrote single-handedly were "Dementia" and "Silhouette", and "Silhouette" was the only one he actually mixed himself--and he didn't write any of "Gold" at all. I definitely prefer Adam Young when he's a one-man show, without all the outside input.
Last edited by Amethystic on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taps

Post by Taps »

Did you guys know that Adam and Carly recorded "Good Time" before "Call Me Maybe" Came out? So Adam didn't sell out. I'm proud of him :yes:

Amethystic Your review is pretty much the same as mine :yes: still a great album. But have you guys noticed that the two best songs in the album (IMHO) "Dementia" and "Silhouette" were both written entirely by him? Hmm...
CreativeThinker101
Fourscore and seven

Post by CreativeThinker101 »

I have Dreams and Disasters and Shooting Star on my iPod and have heard Gold and Good Time, and I am satisfied with the album to some extent. Dreams and Disasters was really very good, and Shooting Star wasn't so bad. Gold was stupid, however, and Good Time doesn't deserve words. I'd like to hear Dementia and Sillhoutes and possibly the rest of the album before I give a full-fledged review. So far, I think the album is just average. :( That's a bummer, since Of June and Ocean Eyes were sooooooo good. I particularly like Fireflies, Dental Care, Cave In, and Fuzzy Blue Lights. Hello Seattle and Meteor Shower are pretty good too. So I think that, so long as he doesn't bring Carly Rae Jepsen or all those "other" songwriters in again for his next album, he could continue his stardom. He's very talented, vocally and musically, and he's a brilliant songwriter. His songs may not seem to mean anything, but do Colplay's or Queen's songs really mean anything either?
Signed,
CreativeThinker101
And Check out my AIO website! Here's a link: http://www.justanotheraioblog.blogspot.com/ Please comment on it! Because if you don't, I'm gonna call the exterminator!
THANK YOU
(P.S. What an interesting and fun website.)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

His songs do oftem mean something, it just takes a bit of analysis. :yes: If you look up some of Adam Young's explanations of his songs, it's easier to see the message behind the whimsical lyrics.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

CreativeThinker101 wrote:His songs may not seem to mean anything, but do Colplay's or Queen's songs really mean anything either?
Coldplay's songs most definitely do mean something. In fact, they have some of the deepest meanings I've heard from a secular band. Their lyrics are one of the biggest reasons I like the band so much.

Actually, lyrics usually mean things. It seems to me that the weirder and more ambiguous the lyrics are, the deeper meaning they have, and the harder it is to figure out what that meaning is. :p
CreativeThinker101
Fourscore and seven

Post by CreativeThinker101 »

I will address both of you. Coldplay's songs do ocasionally have an obvious meaning, (Fix You, Paradise) but oftentimes their songs are confusing and have seemingly pointless verses. Perhaps I should have rephrased my statement.

Adam Young's songs are quite dreamy and metaphorical, and a lot of them don't make as much sense as I believe he wanted them to. Fireflies and Dental Care are obvious, but stuff like Cave In and Fuzzy Blue Lights are highly open to interpretation.
Signed,
CreativeThinker101
And Check out my AIO website! Here's a link: http://www.justanotheraioblog.blogspot.com/ Please comment on it! Because if you don't, I'm gonna call the exterminator!
THANK YOU
(P.S. What an interesting and fun website.)