[Split from The Book Club] Focus on the Family...too harsh?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ric
Isaiah 6

[Split from The Book Club] Focus on the Family...too harsh?

Post by ric »

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Wow... I don't think I'll be reading those books. FotF says some pretty harsh stuff about it.... I'm glad I read their review!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Well I am going to disagree with Focus on this one. The Hunger Games is definitely for a mature audience. I wouldn't recommend it for under a mature 14 year old. I have to go but i will try post the remainder of my thought later.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I think FOFT was just saying what the supposed age limit for it is, not of their opinion. I'm probably wrong, of course.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Focus on the Family is harsh about almost everything :-
*insert provocative quote here*
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Yeah... That review was why I'm a bit hesitant about reading them.

I may just start one and see what I think. :-k

\:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Okay, thoughts. There is a lot of gore. But it is necessary. It makes you get into the characters. Understand why "The Games" are so wrong. The whole romance thing is to keep them alive. It really depends on the person. I definitely wouldn't suggest to anyone under 13. Fourteen depends on the person. 15 not a problem. But that's just me. And I was probably ready earlier than most.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

From the review I read The Hunger Games remind me a lot of "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.
FOTF is pretty harsh about most things (which is the reason I never watched any movies growing up) so when I take that into consideration I probably would read them. Everyone I know has really enjoyed them.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Where did FOTF review the books, by the way? :-k

Edit: I read one here (http://www.focusonlinecommunities.com/b ... -they-read), and I think FOTF should not have put Hunger Games in the same category, as it is not "grotesque descriptions of gang rape, drug abuse, cutting and assault in profanity-laden prose." They are not that bad =P
Last edited by Marvin D. on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

No, maybe not. But remember that once you read something, you can't "un-read" it. They want to caution parents about what could happen if they let a younger kid read the books, or if a particularly sensitive kid is interested. I've been there; I get what they're trying to say.

As for them being "harsh on everything", they don't seem to come across as so much "harsh" as "trying to cover all the bases". Take their "kissing/sex/homosexuality" section. At first, when I saw that it mentioned kissing specifically, I wondered what was wrong with that, but when you think about it, a lot of parents would balk at the thought of Little Susie ever figuring out that people might--gasp!--kiss. They're just trying to let parents know. It may come across as harsh or overly conservative, but I think they're trying to lay it all out there so that parents won't be surprised.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I'm not saying they're always harsh, but sometimes, they tend to present things in a more. .negative? connotation. Yes, they should point out everything. IMBd does the same thing, but it's more neutral. Sometimes, though, FOTF takes it to an extreme.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Good point Tiger, there’s a difference between making sure to cover everything and being too critical. There can easily be confusion about it. If they’re going through and pulling out every single little thing that may be objectionable then it may seem too harsh, but look at why they’re doing it. Are they saying ‘There’s kissing! Don’t let kids read it!’ or are they just mentioning it because that’s their job and then the parents can make the decision now that they know it’s in there?
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Peeta wrote:I'm not saying they're always harsh, but sometimes, they tend to present things in a more. .negative? connotation. Yes, they should point out everything. IMBd does the same thing, but it's more neutral. Sometimes, though, FOTF takes it to an extreme.
Should they be neutral, though? Given that they do take a more conservative stance, and this is a Christian website, it makes sense to be more definite on "should you or shouldn't you let the kids read it".
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Ginny Weasley wrote:
Peeta wrote:I'm not saying they're always harsh, but sometimes, they tend to present things in a more. .negative? connotation. Yes, they should point out everything. IMBd does the same thing, but it's more neutral. Sometimes, though, FOTF takes it to an extreme.
Should they be neutral, though? Given that they do take a more conservative stance, and this is a Christian website, it makes sense to be more definite on "should you or shouldn't you let the kids read it".
They should not be neutral, and they should be conservative, but sometimes, I feel as if they nitpick and bring out things that. .I really don't pay attention to. Or they overemphasize a point. *shrugs*

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Again, is it really nitpicking, or are they just noting everything so you know what’s in it? Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

bookworm wrote:Again, is it really nitpicking, or are they just noting everything so you know what’s in it? Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish.
I suppose, but to each his own =P I think sometimes they go overboard. .but you may think otherwise :p

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No, I don’t think either way. I was asking a real question, not a rhetorical one. I haven’t read enough of their reviews to judge.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

You know, if this book is too violent and scary for anyone, I don't think anyone should read uh-the Bible, either.
he/him | a little stinker.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Steve wrote:You know, if this book is too violent and scary for anyone, I don't think anyone should read uh-the Bible, either.
You're right. It would probably be NC-17 if they did Judges.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

um...no...the Bible is very rarely graphic, and even then, it's not really that bad. Ya, there's plenty of violence and wars, but it's practically never vividly described.