[Split from The Book Club] Focus on the Family...too harsh?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Some people are more sensitive to literary violence than I am, but there's a big difference between "typical" literary violence and disturbing literary violence. No, it's not the kind of stuff you'd ever want to see in front of you*, but the details aren't so grizzly nor the situations quite so dark that you come away feeling traumatized and horrified. As intense as the story is, it's your mind that visualizes the rest of the scenario, so unless they go into excessive detail the situation is only as graphic as your own mind. It's a tragic, heart-wrenching story still, but it's not a blood-bathed horror movie equivalent by any means.

*Yes, I am fully aware of the movie being released, but considering the series is aimed towards teens I'm not concerned about excessive on-screen violence. Editing and camera angles are good for that.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I actually haven't read The Hunger Games at all. And is FOTF's review for all of the books (cuz aren't there several books or something)? I think that FOTF has to be "harsh" simply because if they didn't, and some unsuspecting family lets their 10 year old read it, that family might go all ballistical about how this book "caused my 10yo son to kiss!!!!". :-| And then that family would be suing/boycotting FOTF because of a bad review.

lolz.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Pip wrote:um...no...the Bible is very rarely graphic, and even then, it's not really that bad. Ya, there's plenty of violence and wars, but it's practically never vividly described.
I agree. The worst is. .when that dude in Judges chopped up his daughter into twelve pieces :p It's not really. .violent.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Peeta wrote:
Pip wrote:um...no...the Bible is very rarely graphic, and even then, it's not really that bad. Ya, there's plenty of violence and wars, but it's practically never vividly described.
I agree. The worst is. .when that dude in Judges chopped up his daughter into twelve pieces :p It's not really. .violent.
That's the exact story I thought about when ric mentioned violence in the Bible. :P
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Cato wrote:
Peeta wrote:
That's the exact story I thought about when ric mentioned violence in the Bible. :P
Haha, win \:D/ Frankly. .sometimes the Bible is so blunt when it describes violence, it's almost. .ironic. Joab plunges a spear in someone's stomach. It's. .not focusing on the gore.
Now, if someone were to make a movie. .with the stonings and beheadings and all that's in the Bible, that would be a different story :p

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

We need a totally 100% translation of the Bible to film! \:D/

But yeah Plugged In is always way too harsh, its what they do. >_>

I dunno, I think they assume parents are morons and will let their 7 year old read books for teenagers, and they are probably right unfortunately.

As for movie content I usually just check IMDB, they have a little section that isn't as spoilerific and is too the point and doesn't pick out things no one would notice. I recall Plugged In's review of United 93 had sexual content of one of the hijackers looking at a woman on a poster, I mean... it felt the need to point that out. I assumed when I read that that the dude just stopped and starred for 10 minutes, but no, they are walking through an airport and he glances over for a split second.

Also: Sexual content in Curious George: GOOGLEY EYES. Seriously, why is that mentioned?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Goo goo eyes falls under sexual content? That's overreading the situation, peoples :p

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Peeta wrote:Goo goo eyes falls under sexual content? That's overreading the situation, peoples :p
seriously? they said that? okay, that's over the top.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
Peeta wrote:Goo goo eyes falls under sexual content? That's overreading the situation, peoples :p
Yeahhh =P Sometimes, like I said, certain situations are read into too much :p

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Peeta wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
Yeahhh =P Sometimes, like I said, certain situations are read into too much :p
But at the same time, Curious George books are read by young children (age 3 and up) and therefore the audience of the movie is likely to have the potential to be very young as well. At 26, I couldn't care less for myself. If I had a three-year-old who I wanted to watch the movie with me, I might be more interested in that kind of info.

FOTF's reviews try to bring things down to the most sensitive level because they know that some of their readers care. Others don't. My opinion is that the reviews can be a useful tool that, like anything else, need to be read with thought given to one's personal values and situation in life. When I read a review for a movie that I want to see, I skim through. I often start with the language section. If I see stuff there that I don't want to have to pay to hear ;) then that's often all I need. If I wanted to know if the movie was appropriate to show to children, I would read more carefully and pay attention to what they're saying about things that would be beneficial or problematic for the age range I have in mind. Use the reviews as a tool and don't worry about the stuff that doesn't matter to you. If googly eyes don't bother you, ignore it, watch the movie and enjoy. If they do, don't watch and be glad you got the info you were looking for.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Catspaw ended the debate by providing us with the answer :(
*insert provocative quote here*
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Catspaw, sometimes you are just no fun. :(
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

She's to smart and wise and stuff. :(
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

She should go into politics and end all the debates \:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Peeta wrote:
I mean, have either of you read Song of Solomon? ;)

Catspaw haz all our brains. :( She is superior.

I like PluggedIn for the language and sexual sections. *shrugs* At least they mention every little thing and not just a passing comment that two people were "snuggling" in bed. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

If only life was really this easy. ;) Wisdom comes with old age. You young folks will acquire it one of these days. ;) There's usually a reasonable middle ground to be found.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Um...I'd like to know how Focus was harsh! They just told what was in the book.