The Hunger Games

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The WHOLE thing is amazing o.o And I was surprised to hear many similar lines to the book as well \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Wow, now I really want to see it.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games may be the second most incredible book I’ve ever read. It captivated my attenion in a way very few works of fiction (and even fewer books) ever have. Once I started it, I knew I wouldn’t be happy until the book was over.

The best aspect of the book? How real it felt! If the Games were merely a video game simulation, they would have been largely irrelevant to me. But Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Panem, the 74th Hunger Games; it all felt so real. Before even getting a chapter or two into the book, I was angered that 23 innocent kids were being murdered every year, and I had to know the conclusion. (Even moreso, I have to know what happens in Catching Fire and Mockingjay... I need to go buy them... now...)

Epic. Engaging. Climatic. I am beyond impressed by The Hunger Games.

Scenes I Can’t Wait to See in the Movie
MAJOR SPOILERS! PLEASE DON'T RUIN THE BEST SCENES OF THE BOOK/MOVIE FOR YOURSELF. :)
  • The Games! I can't wait to watch Katniss running through the woods, fighting, surviving.
  • I want to see Katniss nailing Marvel with an arrow... and then Rue's passing. :(
  • Spending the night on the Cornucopia, surrounded by wolves. They're going to be so freaky.
  • The initial battle for the food/weapons, when Katniss escapes with a backpack.
  • The girl on fire! I can't wait for the interviews with Caeser, when Peeta reveals his love for Katniss. :inlove:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Ahhh, you've convinced me to read them. I reserved them at the library :)
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Gaius wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
conquestor wrote:Please stop killing me, Josh will never let me read um on his kindle.
I don't know how old you are, but that may a good thing. They are books for teens like 14+, I think. ;)
He's 11.

No, wait. .he's 12. *coughs* =P
Hey, that's what I do all the time. ;)
Jesus' Princess wrote:Ahhh, you've convinced me to read them. I reserved them at the library :)
I've decided to start it, but may stop just as fast. ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Oh man, I forgot to mention the negatives! ;) Just for the record, there is a tremendeous amount of violence in the book. Some of it is rather disturbing. There's no swearing, but one character is said to be "mumbling profanity under his breath" or something like that. There's nothing sexual, but characters are said to be unclothed a few times; never in an offensive way. Characters kiss a few times.

That probably seems like a lot, but it didn't seem like much spread across 380 pages. :P

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Don't worry, I knew you were skipping them. :P

Yeah, that's about what IN said, that's why I may stop just as soon as I start. ;)

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

American Eagle wrote:Oh man, I forgot to mention the negatives! ;) Just for the record, there is a tremendeous amount of violence in the book. Some of it is rather disturbing. There's no swearing, but one character is said to be "mumbling profanity under his breath" or something like that. There's nothing sexual, but characters are said to be unclothed a few times; never in an offensive way. Characters kiss a few times.

That probably seems like a lot, but it didn't seem like much spread across 380 pages. :P
Well, true. In the second book, it has a few mentions to Katniss and Peeta sleeping together (they aren't really), and one of the characters goes around unclothed sometimes. The violence can get disturbing >_>

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Gaius wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Oh man, I forgot to mention the negatives! ;) Just for the record, there is a tremendeous amount of violence in the book. Some of it is rather disturbing. There's no swearing, but one character is said to be "mumbling profanity under his breath" or something like that. There's nothing sexual, but characters are said to be unclothed a few times; never in an offensive way. Characters kiss a few times.

Well, true. In the second book, it has a few mentions to Katniss and Peeta sleeping together (they aren't really), and one of the characters goes around unclothed sometimes. The violence can get disturbing >_>
Ackhem. O.o

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

No store in my city sells Catching Fire. >_> We lack bookstores, but nobody else (Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kohls, Sears, etc.) sells it!

EXCEPT. Target.

That being said, I just bought The Hunger Games trilogy boxed set from Target; hardcover edition. I don't like the packaging, but it was either that, or buy the Kindle/PDF version, and I really want a hard copy to look at. Huzzah, my free time this week is booked. \:D/

I shall begin Catching Fire late tonight. ;)

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

AE, What is the most incredible book you have ever read?

Nice \:D/ I don't really see the point in buying books, but I MIGHT make an exception with The Hunger Games.

So far Catching Fire isn't quite as good as The Hunger Games (page 150) But it is still a very good book, and can't wait to tell how it ends.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
Gaius wrote:

Ackhem. O.o
Prsht. Peeta is just lulling Katniss to sleep :noway:

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Gaius wrote:

I feel the need to explain this....
Katniss and Peeta both have nightmares because of being in the games. And at one point (or a few times, I don't remember) the nightmares will wake one or both of them up, and to comfort each other, Peeta would hold Katniss while they slept. Which made me a bit uncomfortable at first...but do understand the context.
Last edited by Shennifer on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Till the end of the line.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Shennifer wrote:
Gaius wrote:

I feel the need to explain this....
Katniss and Peeta both have nightmares because of being in the games. And at one point (or a few times, I don't remember) the nightmares will wake one of both of them up, and to comfort each other, Peeta would hold Katniss while they slept. Which made me a bit uncomfortable at first...but do understand the context.
Thanks Shen. O:)

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

You're welcome :)

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Many thanks for putting the text in spoiler, Shen! :)

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

you're very welcome, AE, :) though now that you've finished the first book, it wasn't entirely necessary to hide it (then again, it'll be helpful for those who haven't read/finished the first book)

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Shennifer wrote:you're very welcome, AE, :) though now that you've finished the first book, it wasn't entirely necessary to hide it (then again, it'll be helpful for those who haven't read/finished the first book)
Okay. I ruined a big part of the first book accidently (just by seeing three words!), so I'm being extra cautious for book 2. :)

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Did I say those three words? :anxious:

In other words, I'm in Part 3 of Catching Fire. And. . .
I mean, Katniss goes back to the Hunger Games, again? The Quarter Quells are stupid >_> And I'm really hating President Snow. And I don't use hate lightly. This is one of the few books which I feel really connected to the characters. After Cinna got beaten up, I was crushed, just like Katniss.
And, Katniss' favorite color is green! How cool is that? \:D/

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Gaius wrote:
I mean, Katniss goes back to the Hunger Games, again? The Quarter Quells are stupid >_> And I'm really hating President Snow. And I don't use hate lightly. This is one of the few books which I feel really connected to the characters. After Cinna got beaten up, I was crushed, just like Katniss.
I know that's why I like the series so much. You feel exactly what she feels. Yeah, the Cinna part was sad. :(
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.