Books I should read to make me smarter:

Suggestions?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that most modern fiction doesn't "make you smarter" per se....It does make you a better reader to read pretty much anything, but most fiction these days is written to be easily understood by a 2nd grader....

Try some C. S. Lewis. The Space Trilogy is great. And there's always Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Abolition of Man, and his other non-fiction works. C. S. Lewis is my favorite author. :yes:

I'd definitely try to read classics. Yes, they can be archaic, but they do help quite a lot with comprehension skills, and I've found that I enjoy a book that's challenging to read.

One of my favorite books of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It's been translated to English, so it's actually quite easy to read. It is kind of long though, but I was engaged the whole way through.

One modern series I really love is the Dreamhouse Kids by Robert Liparulo (sort of a dumb title I know, but it's a really great series). I love the guy's writing style, and the plot is fantastic. It's quite an easy read as well.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

ric wrote:One of my favorite books of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It's been translated to English, so it's actually quite easy to read. It is kind of long though, but I was engaged the whole way through.
Yesss. \:D/ The Count of Monte Cristo is fabulous.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan if you never have... I'm finally reading the unabridged and it is exceeding expectations. :yes:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Termite wrote:Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan if you never have... I'm finally reading the unabridged and it is exceeding expectations. :yes:
I've read it. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to do my best to read one book that each of you suggested.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Anna><> wrote:
Termite wrote:Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan if you never have... I'm finally reading the unabridged and it is exceeding expectations. :yes:
I've read it. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to do my best to read one book that each of you suggested.
I forgot to post this one, if you're interested, Battle Hymn of A Tiger Mom is quite interesting to read as well ;)

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/