Reasonable Advice Questions for Top!

The place for all those "Questions for this fascinating user" threads so they're all in one place!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Reasonable Advice Questions for Top!

Post by The Top Crusader »

Umm... I'm sure this will end up just being stupid (which gives me great pride in how I have trained you all), but I figure, hey, I'm like... an old dude with lots of life experience, education, and theological interest, so why not start a thread that is at least meant for somewhat useful discussion? \:D/

Come before and ask me real questions and I shall give forth my wisdom upon you! :evil:
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Hey, Top. There's this girl I know, and she's been avoiding me lately. Can you tell me why?
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

^is something hanging out of your nose? :anxious:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CALVINISM.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Gaius wrote:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CALVINISM.
Oh good grief, I came to this thread to ask the same question. >_>

More specifically, Top, what do you think about people who grew up like 3000BC (non-Isrealite), before the cross and the death of Jesus. Assuming they never heard about God or the Gospel (or did they?), did God create them all with no real chance at Heaven?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I am just that awesome.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Monty wrote:Hey, Top. There's this girl I know, and she's been avoiding me lately. Can you tell me why?
Well, I can certainly try! \:D/

Could you define your relationship better? Are you friends? Good friends? Acquaintances? Siblings? Spouses?

Where do you know her from and where is she avoiding you? Anything occur that you are aware of at the point that she began her avoidance?

I appreciate the Calvinism question as well, but I want to look at my notes and such before I get ahead of myself on a response... so if Monty doesn't interject, someone say something so I don't double post. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m amazed this thread wasn’t created long ago. Who wouldn’t want to imbibe the wisdom of The Top Crusader?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

That's rhetorical, but I could think of some people. .

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It wasn’t rhetorical, I was being completely sincere. Having more life experience than I, Top’s opinions and insight are things I hold in very high regard.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Then do you want me to find people who wouldn't want it?

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Monty refuses to return to this thread. :(
American Eagle wrote:
Gaius wrote:WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CALVINISM.
Oh good grief, I came to this thread to ask the same question. >_>

More specifically, Top, what do you think about people who grew up like 3000BC (non-Isrealite), before the cross and the death of Jesus. Assuming they never heard about God or the Gospel (or did they?), did God create them all with no real chance at Heaven?
I had hoped to put more research into this, and I still may, but I haven't had the chance so I will just go off of whatever knowledge remains in my memory banks because I hate leaving this hanging completely unanswered.

I... do not think very highly of "THIS CALVINISM." ;) I've seen the concept cause some people big problems in their life (friend who was a pastor in a Calvinist demonination has completely lost his family and messed his life up signficantly--is that all Calvinisms fault? Well, no. ;) But the mindset it gives that certainly comes into play).

I do not believe that anyone exists without any chance of entering heaven. A strict Calvinist will say all babies who die go to hell (since they aren't capable of understanding the gospel message and accepting Christ as savior)... which I don't think is in line with the nature of Christ. The Bible DOES say (and forgive me for paraphrasing and not providing a reference right now) that every one is accountable for what knowledge they are given, basically. So that wild man in the woods who was raised by wolves and never has a chance to hear the gospel? His spirit will recognize the work of a greater power in the world around him, and if that is the only witness he ever has, I think that is enough. That doesn't mean that we don't preach the gospel and try to convert others, because Jesus himself gave us the command to do that. Usually a good idea to listen to the Son of God when He says to do something. But yeah, those who live in a remote area in a blue lagoon and don't get the chance, or infants/very young children... they are only accountable for what they have the capacity to comprehend.

Again, I apologize for not researching this more, but this is a busy time of year. I'm happy to expound further or attempt to answer more specific questions.
bookworm wrote:It wasn’t rhetorical, I was being completely sincere. Having more life experience than I, Top’s opinions and insight are things I hold in very high regard.
Even if this is slightly tongue in cheek, I appreciate it. ;) I don't claim to have all the answers, but I feel I do have significant life experiences and an expansive education which puts me in a place where I can try to help out others--particularly when I'm one of the oldest consistent posters on a board populated by children and teenagers--especially when a fair portion of my professional work deals with instructing middle and high schoolers. I am mildly baffled why those less than half my age would go out of their way to insinuate I lack any wisdom whatsoever, but alas it is the end days. :mad:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Oh great Top, how can we procure your great wisdom? \:D/

And what do you think about people who say they're gay, and remain celebatic their whole lives?

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Gaius wrote:Oh great Top, how can we procure your great wisdom? \:D/

And what do you think about people who say they're gay, and remain celebatic their whole lives?
Well, I commend them for not giving into their own human desires and realizing to do so would be a sin. \:D/ God can work miracles, and some people can overcome their attractions, but in many cases I'm sure this is probably the best way for people like that to stay out of a sinful lifestyle. Forcing themselves into a heterosexual relationship would end up not being fulfilling for either partner if the attraction wasn't present, although I suppose it could work in some way. As Paul said, we all have a certain thorn in our side, something that may haunt us our entire life, and people with those types of attractions who wish to live a Christian life are given a difficult road to travel. Simply avoiding romantic relationships may be the best way for many to cope, as the literal attraction isn't necessarily a sin, but acting upon it is.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Gaius wrote:Then do you want me to find people who wouldn't want it?
Yes, so they can be reprimanded. Seriously, why would anyone not want to at least hear what someone older has to say? You don’t have to agree with it, but at least listen. They’ve lived longer than you; they know what they’re talking about.
The Top Crusader wrote:Even if this is slightly tongue in cheek, I appreciate it. ;) I don't claim to have all the answers, but I feel I do have significant life experiences and an expansive education which puts me in a place where I can try to help out others--particularly when I'm one of the oldest consistent posters on a board populated by children and teenagers--especially when a fair portion of my professional work deals with instructing middle and high schoolers. I am mildly baffled why those less than half my age would go out of their way to insinuate I lack any wisdom whatsoever, but alas it is the end days. :mad:
It was not. And your follow-up reaffirmed your valuable wisdom and demeanor.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

bookworm adores Top xD

And I SAY CD33 :x

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:

Well, I commend them for not giving into their own human desires and realizing to do so would be a sin. \:D/ God can work miracles, and some people can overcome their attractions, but in many cases I'm sure this is probably the best way for people like that to stay out of a sinful lifestyle. Forcing themselves into a heterosexual relationship would end up not being fulfilling for either partner if the attraction wasn't present, although I suppose it could work in some way. As Paul said, we all have a certain thorn in our side, something that may haunt us our entire life, and people with those types of attractions who wish to live a Christian life are given a difficult road to travel. Simply avoiding romantic relationships may be the best way for many to cope, as the literal attraction isn't necessarily a sin, but acting upon it is.
Paul was never married... any chance his "thorn is his side" was actually homosexuality?

Edit: I didn't know that was a long-discussed possiblility. I thought I had discovered something profound. :P You don't have to expound on this if you don't want to.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Gaius wrote:bookworm adores Top xD
bookworm adores no human, adoration is reserved for God.
bookworm does greatly admire and respect Top, as all reasonable people should.
Gaius wrote:And I SAY CD33
CD33 is new here and does not realize the valuable knowledge Top possesses. In time he will see reason.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

American Eagle wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:

Paul was never married... any chance his "thorn is his side" was actually homosexuality?

Edit: I didn't know that was a long-discussed possiblility. I thought I had discovered something profound. :P You don't have to expound on this if you don't want to.
Ha. ;) Well yeah, I mean I wouldn't say that it is IMPOSSIBLE, but I personally would want more evidence before I level such accusations at the Apostle Paul. I mean, yeah, it DOES kind of fit and make sense, but he could easily have been unmarried because he was always traveling and being thrown in jail and had an obvious focus on ministry, not romance. His thorn in his side could have been LUSTING OVER WOMEN or alcohol or gambling or A LITERAL THORN that Silas put in his side, etc. It wouldn't ruin my image of Paul to find out that he struggled with something like homosexuality, though. The important thing is he didn't give into it. He was a godly man but not perfect.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

How can I stop hating Packers fans? :(
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

*is writing about hate and love*

Anyone who claims to live in God's light and hates a brother or sister is still in the dark. It's the person who loves brother and sister who dwells in God's light and doesn't block the light from others. But whoever hates is still in the dark, stumbles around in the dark, doesn't know which end is up, blinded by the darkness. Anyone who doesn't love is as good as dead. Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know very well that eternal life and murder don't go together.

My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God. The person who refuses to love doesn't know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can't know him if you don't love. This is how God showed his love for us: God sent his only Son into the world so we might live through him. This is the kind of love we are talking about—not that we once upon a time loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to clear away our sins and the damage they've done to our relationship with God. My dear, dear friends, if God loved us like this, we certainly ought to love each other. No one has seen God, ever. But if we love one another, God dwells deeply within us, and his love becomes complete in us—perfect love!

I had to :anxious: