Letter to Focus

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Letter to Focus

Post by snubs »

I know that there are some of you that don't much care for the new AIO episodes that have been airing...I know I don't. So, I was thinking we could write a letter to Focus explaining our dislikes and ideas for future episodes. I thought of doing this months ago, and Marvin loved it. However, I didn't have time to focus on it at the time, but now I think I can handle it.

That being said, if you want to write something to Focus, post here letting me know. Marvin and bookworm are going to be our editors for this project. I figured it would be better to only have one or two editors to keep it consistent.

In terms of content of the letter, you can write what you do not like about AIO, what you do like, what you wish was different, future episode ideas, praise for the old episodes, praise for the new episodes...basically, whatever you want to write, goes. ;) I want it to have a lot of variety. Oh, and what you write doesn't have to be anything long, it can just be a paragraph or two if you like.

And even if nothing comes of this, it'll still be fun to write and send.

I feel like I left out something...so if you have any questions, just ask.

Oh, and please make it clear what you are writing to Focus from what you are not.
Last edited by snubs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

There were older episodes that had more appeal, sure... but the suggested age is 8-12, so since 99% of this forum is outside of their target age I'm not sure what the point of them complaining is. >_>
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I like the idea Snubs, is the idea to all write separate letters? or to combine all of our complaints, suggestions, praises, or whatever in to one letter?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Top Crusader wrote:There were older episodes that had more appeal, sure... but the suggested age is 8-12, so since 99% of this forum is outside of their target age I'm not sure what the point of them complaining is. >_>
The older episodes were targeted toward 8-12, yet older kids and adults liked listening (I still love listening to them). To me, the new episodes feel like they are targeted toward 8 and under (or even younger). :| And I just can't stand the new ones.

Also, I seriously think the majority (or half) of the listing audience was over 11....at least, back then.

Jesus' Princess wrote:I like the idea Snubs, is the idea to all write separate letters? or to combine all of our complaints, suggestions, praises, or whatever in to one letter?
I want to combine it all into one letter.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

snubs wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:There were older episodes that had more appeal, sure... but the suggested age is 8-12, so since 99% of this forum is outside of their target age I'm not sure what the point of them complaining is. >_>
The older episodes were targeted toward 8-12, yet older kids and adults liked listening (I still love listening to them). To me, the new episodes feel like they are targeted toward 8 and under (or even younger). :| And I just can't stand the new ones.

Also, I seriously think the majority (or half) of the listing audience was over 11....at least, back then.

Jesus' Princess wrote:I like the idea Snubs, is the idea to all write separate letters? or to combine all of our complaints, suggestions, praises, or whatever in to one letter?
I want to combine it all into one letter.
heh, some of my younger siblings, ages ranging from 8-13, feel like the new episodes are way below that age range, and I have to agree. I really enjoyed (and still do) the older episodes, the newer ones (with the exception of a few) are kind of a different level of entertainment.

Also, that makes sense, is it going to be from The ToOers? or like from individual people? if that makes any sense :)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

It will be from us ToO'ers. Though, whatever you write will have your name below it...like a quote. Does that answer your question? Or are you saying, will it be from some people outside the ToO?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

snubs wrote:It will be from us ToO'ers. Though, whatever you write will have your name below it...like a quote. Does that answer your question? Or are you saying, will it be from some people outside the ToO?
Nope, that answers it :) Thanks!
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Do we PM you what we write, or do we PM Marvin or bookworm, or do we post it here?
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

You guys realize that many of the writers and AIO staff frequent this website, and read your complaints and thoughts regularly, right?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall
It’s my birthday

Post by Mark Prescott »

I think it might be cool if they didn't completely write out old characters. Like sometimes Matthew could say he was going to go study with Trent. Or ?Olivia was going to Mandy's birthday party.
~Mark Prescott~
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This is a great idea. I hope they listen to their largest community of fans.

Dear Adventures in Odyssey. Thank you for the great years of entertainment you have given us as your fans, and me personally. You gave us moments that will stick with us, maybe for the rest of our lives. From It Happened at Four Corners, to The Time has Come. AIO has been a blessing. Yet the new episodes no longer touch me. In fact I find more annoyance and anger coming from listening to it, then fun and growth. I find myself enraged when Chris uses the verse out of context. (ex. Emily the Genius.) And when no one tells Emily flat out what you did was wrong. Another major problem I think is the actors. You started using adults for kids. I am not in any way saying they aren't good actors. But they aren't kids. There is no connection. In The Jubilee Singers I connected with the characters. And it was great. But then I hear episodes like Finish What You... and Wooton's Broken Pencil Show. And there is absolutely no connection to the characters. I don't know them. To go from great performances by the actresses who played Lucy and Mandy, to Emily and Olivia. I'm fourteen now. And I can honestly say I don't think I would have been at what the age range is now even when I was seven. Give kids some credit. They have brains. Give them a chance to use their imagination. The old episodes were targeted at 8-12. Yet the parents and older siblings loved them too. And I think what was a main part of the older episodes had is gone. God. Sure they have great morals. But if you listened to a lot of album 54 without the wrap up. You might not be able to tell it was Christian. When was the last time anyone said anything controversial? Shine your light. Right now it seems like it is under a wicker basket. Lights coming through. But not all of it. Sincerely ~Knight Fisher

P.S. Could you please fix the media player?

Going by posting it here. I can pm it to you if you want.

@JesusFreak Well then if you are reading this Focus staff please encourage everyone to read it when it comes in the mail. We can arrange easily copied layout if you want. We are your fans. Please listen.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I like what you said Knight Fisher.

@JesusFreak: I figured that, but I still think it would be good for them to get an official letter.
Christian A. wrote:Do we PM you what we write, or do we PM Marvin or bookworm, or do we post it here?
I forgot to mention that, you can write what you want here, or PM it to me. I may even make a separate thread for your submissions, so there is no rush in submitting quite yet. Though, if you want to write something now, feel free.
Last edited by snubs on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Hmm...I think I'll give this a shot.

To the staff at Focus on the Family, specifically for whom staffing Adventures in Odyssey is a career:

As you may be able to tell, I am a fan of Adventures in Odyssey--I mean, could I have typed that if I didn't know Eugene? I have grown up on this wonderful series; it's been a part of my life as a long as I can remember road trips with the family. I loved that this show could teach Christian lessons and still be dramatic, witty, snarky, suspenseful, and...well, fun. They seemed to be aimed at all demographics, even though it was technically supposed to be for 8-12-year-olds. It was reminiscent of such programs as "The Muppet Show," where all ages could watch and get something good out of it.

However, lately it feels as though the show has downgraded itself, for lack of a better term. The styles of a lot of them feel very, well...childish. Now, not all of them are; I remember "Target Of The Week", "The Amazing Loser", and other such gems that were true highlights of the new seasons. But overall, it's felt very much like the writing has aimed so much toward the target demographic that it ignores the others.

I know I don't just speak for myself when I say that as a kid at ages 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, I much preferred the intense episodes like those of Novacom and Blackgaard. That's not to say that I didn't like the slice-of-life eps, but to be frank, kids like to be scared a little. Now, that doesn't mean we go into crazy-overboard-horror-movie mode, but I always liked the "mature" episodes, and I know my fellow listeners and ToO board members feel the same.

As for characters...I really like a lot of these new ones. I would prefer that we had more "old, wise men" similar to Jack and Tom around town so that Whit isn't the only old man who can give advice, but overall they are very good. Matthew is well done; his interactions with just about everybody are very well done. Priscilla is another cool character, and so are Barrett and Ryan. I'd also like to hear from the other Kidsboro members (Alice, Jill, et cetera), but that's just me.

However, there is one kid character I do not particularly care for--Emily Jones. She can be a decent character when well written, but the problem is that she rarely is. The thing is, she resembles closely the fanfiction phenomenon known as the Mary Sue, in that she's portrayed to be a great role model but doesn't really act like it, and despite that fact, she is rarely ever called on it--or if she is, it doesn't seem like she learned anything. I also have a problem with her voice. I don't think that's the make-it-or-break-it about a character, but it's very obvious that she's a ten-year-old voiced by a twenty- to thirty-something-year-old (anyone remember Ponyo? ;) ). Just a pet peeve, but still.

At any rate, I think Odyssey can and will revive itself, which it is indeed slowly doing. However, I do think that while the technical demographic is kids and preteens, the AIO team must consider the periphery demographic that they have gotten over the years, and perhaps a few episodes need to "grow up" with said demographic.

(Also, I'd like a hint or two that some elements of pre-hiatus Odyssey--specifically, those "kid" characters who are now likely in high school--still exist. But again, personal opinion comes into play on this one.)

Hoping you are well, \:D/
TigerintheShadows
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

One note is that with Kelly Stables now doing the voice of Olivia, you can't tell her and Jill apart so I doubt we will see Jill any time soon.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Ryan Matlock
Level 4, Adventures in Odyssey Collector

Post by Ryan Matlock »

I would like to write my appreciation to FOTF for taking time and energy to release a radio show, albums, a podcast, a magazine, and books about AiO. It is one of my favorite things and I very much like all they do to make it funny, interesting, and Biblically teaching. :)

~~~RyanCummings, Youtuber, producer of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I think we should all sign the final draft if we agree, kinda like a petition but not really.

There is things I don't like but can't be changed, such as Whit. Like the others have said though there was something about the older episodes that are still more appealing. The age doesn't matter, surely they know how many older teens listen to them. (At my sisters Bible College, the majority raised their hand that they still listen to it). Episodes like Wooton's Broken Pencil Show did not have any deep, real moral lesson to it. The Parker Family is fine but try to stay way from things such as Thankstaking (or whatever).

Use what you can from it!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah, I was already thinking we could all sign it at the end. :yes:

Oh, and please make it clear what you are writing to Focus and what you are not.
Last edited by snubs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

And if I need to edit something, please send it to snubs or something so I can edit it =P
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Gaius wrote:And if I need to edit something, please send it to snubs or something so I can edit it =P
Yes, if you want to PM your segment, PM it to me. That way I can send it to Marvin and bookworm.

I would like to have a section in the letter that has ideas for episodes, so if you have any ideas for future eps please make that separate from the other things you write.
Last edited by snubs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

So this would be my note to focus, to be included in the letter :)

Dear Focus on the Family, and staff of Adventures in Odyssey,
For ten, going on eleven years, my younger siblings and I have listened to Adventures in Odyssey. We learned lots of valuable lessons with the characters, and gained many things from the wisdom of Whit, Tom, Jack, and many other characters. Odyssey provided many funny, thought provoking, touching, and suspenseful moments for us, and for that I am grateful. But lately, since the relaunch, I feel like the episodes haven't been up to the normal odyssey standard. While before, there was the occasional silly episode, these new episodes are downright cheesy. They seem to be very shallow, and aimed towards young children, much younger than your target range of 8-12. Now I realize I am a few years older than that age range, but I've talked with my younger siblings and cousins, who are in that targeted age range, and they say that they feel like the episodes were written for kids much younger as well. Now there is the exception, episodes such as The Jubilee Singers, and Never for Nothing, were great episodes that I really enjoyed. but Odyssey as a whole just isn't what it used to be.

I don't think that it can't be salvaged though, I have high hopes for Odysseys future as a show. But honestly, if I turned on the radio today, and an Odyssey episode such as Wootons Broken Pencil Show, or Finish What You... was playing, I probably would turn it off with out second thought and write off the entire show as childish.

I sincerely hope you will take the time to listen to your fans, after all, whats a radio program with no listeners? I think Odyssey can still be just as good, if not better, than it used to be. There's a shadow of the old show peeking out in some of these shows, to borrow an example of a fellow ToOer, it seems like it's under a wicker basket, there's light peeking out, it's just not all showing.

Sincerely,
~Jesus' Princess

I'm posting this here, so let me know if you need it PM'd to you or anything else :)