Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I watched it! Just the game, I think I've mentioned before that that's all I get on TV. I check out the skills competition when it goes up online afterward, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Larkin was robbed, he was definitely the MVP! :x

The scoring rate was crazy this year, is it always like that? (I watch the game every year, but have no recollection of details from one to the next.) I feel like I would remember if there were multiple hat tricks in previous games I've watched. It seemed like there was an unusually high number of goals here; this isn't like the NBA or NFL All Star games where there is no defense, the goalie would still be giving their best effort out there I would think.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Gotta go with the hometown crowd favourite! If the game was in Detroit then Larkin would have been the MVP. Unfortunately for him, the game was in Florida and Tkachuk plays for the Panthers.

Yeah, the scoring is usually pretty high in the All-Star game due to a lack of defense and general effort. ;) The idea is for it to be fun, plus more forwards than defensemen typically make the game. The goalies were giving a decent effort (not sure if it was at the skills competition or the game coverage, but Connor Hellebuyck in particular was quoted as saying he wanted to put in a good effort and win) but you can only do so much against so much star scoring and so little defensive effort.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Both teams in today's Stadium Series game seemed to forget which sport they were there for.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, cute outfits! I forgot it was the Stadium Series game today until after it started and haven't watched much of it. Neither team is super exciting to me. I am rooting for the Hurricanes to win - and they're currently up 4-0, so that's good. :D I don't have anything against the Canes, and they can be fun to watch, especially if you're cheering for them and not the opposing team. ;) I've never been a Caps fan and I'm super off on Ovi with all the "My country illegally invading a neighboring country is not a good enough reason for me to change my profile pic of me and the prez" stuff, so that doesn't bring me any closer. I assume he's not playing tonight since he took time off after the recent death of his father.

Just saw that the attendance is a sellout of over 56,000 so clearly people were into the idea of the game!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Boston Bruins set new NHL season records for wins and points.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Booo! They'll always be losers in my book. :noway: They know what they did. Much like an elephant and Richard Maxwell, I never forget (a good sports grudge.)

On a more positive note than those so-and-so's, the NHL playoffs start soon! Woohoo! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Pittsburgh Penguins' playoff appearance streak is over at 16, ending the longest active run in all four main sports.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I didn't realize where it stood compared to other sports. I was disappointed. They lost to a loser team when they needed to win to get into the playoffs, so they have nobody else to blame. I would have liked to see Sidney Crosby make another playoff run, but alas, I guess it wasn't meant to be this year.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:23 pmI would have liked to see Sidney Crosby make another playoff run
Last time they weren't in was his rookie year!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 pm
Catspaw wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:23 pmI would have liked to see Sidney Crosby make another playoff run
Last time they weren't in was his rookie year!
Well that makes me feel ancient. ;)

I love the first round of the playoffs, when there's hockey every night and hope is fresh and new. Looking forward to the fun!