Recommendation request - books for grades 6-8

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Recommendation request - books for grades 6-8

Post by Catspaw »

Hi to all those readers out there!

I'm looking for book recommendations that will be of high interest for students around grades 6-8. They don't have to be Christian, but they do have to be appropriate (no bad language or content issues). No fantasy please. Sports or adventure stories would be best. I'm most interested in recommendations for boys, but suggestions for books that girls would prefer are fine too. They should be books that are currently available to order, not something that your church library has that has been out of print since 1904. ;) Thanks for whatever help you can offer!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I always enjoyed Robert Elmer's series...The Young Underground, Adventures Down Under, Promise of Zion, and The Wall trilogy. Also the Trailblazer series. I'm sure I'll come up with more ideas later... :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but The Left Behind Kids series? I remember reading that series. It was really good. I think it's still out there.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was the book when I was in 5th, 6th, 7th grade. Boys loved it.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Graces4you wrote:Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was the book when I was in 5th, 6th, 7th grade. Boys loved it.
Ya, this for sure. :yes:

Possibly the Chip Hilton series. They're about this kid Chip Hilton who's really good at like all sports. They get quite redundant like...after 10 or so books, but they're pretty good. They might be a bit more for highschoolers, but not because of inappropriate content or anything.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Whitty Whit wrote:I'm not sure if this is applicable, but The Left Behind Kids series? I remember reading that series. It was really good. I think it's still out there.
Oh yes. I've read this series twice. I think I was in that grade level both times. They are soooo good. You can barely put them down.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I would recommend any books by Andrew Clements.

Frindle, The Landry News and The Last Christmas Pageant are some of his best books. They are well-written and good for 5th,6th, and 7th graders, although I still enjoy them.

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Robert Liparulo has a series of young adult books that I haven't read but his regular adult books are awesome so I presume his one for younger people are.

Frank Peretti wrote a bunch of YA books a long time ago that were pretty cool.

And anything by Stephen King would probably be appropriate.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

The Kingdom Series is a very good series for young adults! :yes: The Hunger Games are really good also. And Maximum Ride is also very good indeed.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Maximum Ride has some language in it, though... it's scattered and not horrible, but it's still there.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Oh, some other books I enjoy are a lot published by Journey Forth:
http://www.bjupress.com/category/Young+Adult?path=1672
http://www.bjupress.com/category/Ages+9-12?path=1672

I haven't read them all, but those that I own are really good. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

The Red Rock Mysteries by Jerry Jenkins & Chris Fabry are pretty good.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Taps wrote:The Kingdom Series is a very good series for young adults! :yes:
THIS.

(This is not a one-word post and it is also not an all-cap post. So hah.)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Oh yeah, Bloodhound, Inc series is a really good one, as well, if that's the one I'm thinking of. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

Lee wrote:I would recommend any books by Andrew Clements.

Frindle, The Landry News and The Last Christmas Pageant are some of his best books. They are well-written and good for 5th,6th, and 7th graders, although I still enjoy them.
^Yes! I know 30-year old books who read this book and 8-year-olds who love his writing. :yes: They are definitely really good, and, as far as I can remember, are clean.
Love You, Lee! :hug:
We'll love you forever, SnC. Thanks for showing us how to be so Strong in Christ. :hug:
I love you... Anne, Sapphire, IDANCE, Joanne, Mimi, Laura, and especially dear Lee. :hug:
And, my wonderful guy friends are: AE, Regis, ric, Marvin, Whitty Whit, and thegreenringc!

"I May do silly things, but I do them with enthusiasm!"
"A Day without Laughter is a day wasted."
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

Check out the free, fun, and fantastic shop: Express Yourself By Alyssa!

You know me..always ready for a chat! ;) Send me a PM soon, whether I just met you, know you well, haven't talked to you in a while, or haven't met you at all!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Sigmund Brouwer books are good! I loved the Accidental Detective books when I was in grade 6.
He's a Canadian author too!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I read a few Eric Walters books during those grades, but the one I particularly remember is Stars. Gordon Korman wrote a series called Macdonald Hall which I also enjoyed.

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

31899 wrote:I read a few Eric Walters books during those grades, but the one I particularly remember is Stars. Gordon Korman wrote a series called Macdonald Hall which I also enjoyed.

I also enjoyed books by Eric Wilson then too.
I like the Everest books and Dive books by Gordon Korman as well.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Alyssa wrote:
Lee wrote:I would recommend any books by Andrew Clements.

^Yes! I know 30-year old books who read this book and 8-year-olds who love his writing. :yes: They are definitely really good, and, as far as I can remember, are clean.
Yes. They are very age-appropriate as far as language goes. :)

\:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Some of them are out of print or are already available to the people that I'm getting recommendations for, but there have also been a bunch of new and available suggestions. Keep them coming. :D