What do you guys think of Penny?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

What do you think of Penny?

I like her!
29%
She's OK.
29%
I don't like her, but I think I can warm up to her.
13%
I don't like her and I probably never will.
29%

Total votes: 24

Bennett
Someone's favorite

What do you guys think of Penny?

Post by Bennett »

I never paid much attention to the discussion when The Green Ring Conspiracy was airing. What were people's reactions to the character of Penny? Forgetting what you know about album 54, do you guys think she should stick around?
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Penny is annoying and should have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever been put on the air.
he/him | a little stinker.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Most of the comments here are going to bash her, although I suspect the silent majority of Adventures in Odyssey listeners likes or loves her character.

I have a more balanced perspective on her, I think, than most people likely do. I think she was a good idea for a character, but that ultimately, when you consider the Green Ring Conspiracy as a whole, she might have fallen short of the mark.

Before The Green Ring Conspiracy, Connie's character development had sat stagnant for some time. I repeatedly stated that she needed some real, tangible character development, and that there would be no point in keeping her around if they weren't going to let her do something. Not just lip service to character development -- but actual changes and growth.

At the beginning of the Green Ring Conspiracy, in the first scene with the art class, I realized that either the Odyssey team had heard me, or they had thought the same thing separately, because they were doing what I wanted to happen.

In that scenario, Penny Wise emerged, and I think served a valuable role as a character -- serving as an effective foil for Connie's lack of self-confidence and indecisiveness, and generally keeping her on the path to progress. She was practical, sensible, and while quirky, not overly so; it didn't drown out the overall theme of the character.

If it had remained at that, I think even the critics, the people that hate on her now, would say that they liked her as a character. The sub-plot with Dr. Trask's false teachings would have been enough material for Connie to deal with, and the story could have still gone along in a sensible manner.

Unfortunately, it didn't. Wise met Bassett, and thus began what is possibly now the most infamous relationship in Odyssey history, that of Wooton/Penny.

Everything about Penny's character became a caricature -- where she was sensible before, no more. The plot basically took all the lines that Wooton might've had in some other episode and gave them to her. In short, she became a female Wooton. While being a female Wooton might not have been a bad thing, if Wooton was written as well as he was in, say, Tuesdays with Wooton, or some other, earlier episode starring him, Wooton himself has been written poorly as of late, so the decision to basically clone him ruined both characters.

In short, it damaged Penny as a character just like how Mitch damaged Connie -- all of their worst traits were brought to the forefront, with no real development or substance.

Finally, the system was completed by the fact that whenever Connie had the chance to undergo character development, Wooton came along and ruined it by drowning her out. The original point of the arc was to develop Connie, but by effectively getting rid of Penny, that means that the only time Connie has a chance to develop as a character is when she's alone, and solo scenes don't work very well.

There might have been a point behind all of the chaos, but it wasn't shown very well in the story, so people mainly react to it by saying, "Great, another Wooton/Penny scene. How pointless."

So I could say that I like Penny, as she was originally written, but I don't like her after she meets Wooton.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Penny. I mean, her voice irritated me a little at first, but I really grew to enjoy her. But she and Wooton need to stay far away from each other. >_<
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

She sounds like Connie with a cold, which is kind of annoying. I don't even want to get into it beyond that right now. ;)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

The first time I heard her I thought she was really funny, but she just seems a little weird to me now. Not really a girl version of Wooton. They really need to create a better friend for Connie.

\:D/
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I feel like she served her role very well in the Green Ring Conspiracy. She added to the story and she provided a much needed friend for Connie that would challenge her in her faith. I loved the conflicts Connie faced as she realized just how phony Penny's faith really was. Penny's character also helped give Connie more purpose in the overall story of the album. For the first episode I found her voice too similar to Connie's, but I got over it, and decided the voice fit her character.

Unfortunately, now I'm not so sure about her. As Bob said, she was doing great until they brought in Wooton. Even then the story wasn't horrible, but it really detracted from the overall Green Ring story, and really just brought Penny and Wooton's character down a notch. I am not a Wooton hater, (far from it really, though I don't like the way he's been portrayed lately as much) but this plot line really went nowhere, leaving all three characters fairly separated from the overall plot.

I think she might have worked better to keep her as one of the villains as they originally planned. Sort of the Monica Stone type, who isn't necessarily bad, just a bit misguided. She could come back around in the end, but I think her character could have been much better as a foil for Connie this way, and even the Wooton/Penny thing might have been more interesting had this all been the case.

As a permanent character? While a friend for Connie is much needed, I think they might be able to come up with someone better, and as a girlfriend for Wooton, they could do much much better.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I don't really mind her, I mean, her voice is really annoying, but as a character she's okay, just kind of weird. As long as she stays away from Wooton, she'll probably be fine in my opinion.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

EMBEE wrote:I feel like I'm the only one who likes Penny. I mean, her voice irritated me a little at first, but I really grew to enjoy her. But she and Wooton need to stay far away from each other. >_<
Me to :D I really like her :D
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I like Penny. It's nice to have another adult around. She has just enough quirky lines to make me smile but not overdo it. She understands the oddities of Wooton that make Connie confused. I like the dynamics of the three of them together.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Josiah
Tallying up

Post by Josiah »

I find her kind of annoying, I wouldn't mind if she was just in the green ring Conspiracy (I think she should have been a bad guy), but now that she's going to be appearing more often...well.....
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I find Penny's voice very annoying, but she is a very interesting person. I wouldn't say I love her, but I certainly do not hate her. However, I am not very fond of her and Wooton being together.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Penny was very good in The Green Ring Conspiracy. I can't say I honestly liked her, but she did well for the major role she had.

As far as her continuing to come in, I think it's going to really wreck the show for me. It feels almost like Focus decided 'let's make a perfect match for Wooton!' and then they did...those two are way too alike! It isn't even realistic!

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

With the introduction of Penny, I'm starting to wonder if Odyssey has any normal people left. I can't really relate to anyone there at the moment.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I detested Penny in The GRC. Her voice grated on me, and her character was predictable. However, she is slightly growing on me after "A Penny Saved." I do agree with the comments about her and Wooton. I wish that they had made her more intelligent - (not like Eugene, just like a normal adult). AIO seems lacking in the normal adult Category. You have Whit.....and the Parkers (who you only hear in family settings) and that is it. Connie has become such a ditz who apparently doesn't think before she speaks anymore (the democracy line is a good example). Wooton needs to go back to who he was in the beginning - a lovable (maybe a bit slow) adult with a big heart and a quirky side, but who was intelligent (to an extent) and knew how to minister to kids without being pointlessly funny with them.

If they were going to make Penny into his love interest, they should have made her more like the girl from "Wooing Wooton." She was perfect - enough like Wooton to be hilarious and catch his interest, but with enough of a personality to be her own character, plus she could pass for a normal responsible intelligent adult. Penny with Wooton just seems like a child, and it is not a good example of a healthy romantic relationship (what else is new in AIO? ;) )

Hopefully that wasn't too rant-y or harsh. Penny is growing on me, but I don't want too much of her, and I just wish we could have some adults who could grow up every now and then.

JF
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:With the introduction of Penny, I'm starting to wonder if Odyssey has any normal people left. I can't really relate to anyone there at the moment.
This is probably the best post in the thread. I'm not as smart as Eugene, technical as Matthew, weird as Wooton, annoying as Penny, or wise as Whit *le sigh*
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

The Kings Daughter wrote:Penny was very good in The Green Ring Conspiracy. I can't say I honestly liked her, but she did well for the major role she had.

As far as her continuing to come in, I think it's going to really wreck the show for me. It feels almost like Focus decided 'let's make a perfect match for Wooton!' and then they did...those two are way too alike! It isn't even realistic!
TKD, what did you think of Victoria in "Wooing Wooton" ? Because I thought she was great. ;) But didn't Wooton say he'd never find another person just like her? Somehow he did... :-k

\:D/
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I like the idea of Connie having a friend, but Penny is so odd. Why can't Connie's friend be Alicia from City Hall? She is normal and everyone (children and adults all like her). Penny sounds too much like Connie with a cold or just back from the dentist with cotton in her mouth. If the actress usually talks like that then she cannot help it. If she's purposely speaking this way than they defintitely need to get a new actress. I agree that Odyssey is running out of normal adults. I wonder if Jess Harnell is under a contract and is required to be featured in a certain amount of episodes. I am one who loves Wooton, but he's not being his usual self in recent episodes. If Wooton does get a girlfriend he needs someone whom he can bring out and can be a foil to him. The girl can keep Wooton steady and help calm him when he's hyper. I think Penny needs to go. By the way, I would love to have actually had Camp What-a-Nut stories with Matthew Parker and some of his friends. I'm glad they mentioned it in the first story, but feel like they could have carried that storyline further.
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

I wanted Wooton to fall in love with me. :(
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I haven't had a chance to listen to the new season yet, so I'm just going off of what I heard in the GRC. I thought Penny was made to be too much like Wooton, on purpose to supposedly be a good match for him. Haven't you ever heard the saying, "Opposites attract?" They are just too much alike, in my book.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.