Should I read The Hunger Games?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Should I read The Hunger Games?

Post by American Eagle »

I recently found an interest in reading, and I've been hearing a lot about The Hunger Games (plus Catching Fire and Mockingjay). The series first interested me because of the upcoming movie, but i think I would prefer to first read them.

Now, for anyone who's read the books, I have a few questions:

a) Does the series center around any type of spirituality or fantasy (e.g., Harry Potter or Twilight)?
b) Does it contain any other offensive content (e.g. innappropriate situations, swearing, etc.)?
c) Is it an engaging series to read, or are there parts that would bore me?
d) Is it worth reading? Does it include strong biblical and/or moral themes?

So if any of you could help me out, that'd be great. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I was actually wondering about this series as well.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

So was I, my cousins are going crazy about the books right now.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

According to Facebook, Invisible Ninja, Leonard Meltsner and Amethystic have read the series.

We need answers, guys! \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

American Eagle wrote: a) Does the series center around any type of spirituality or fantasy (e.g., Harry Potter or Twilight)?
b) Does it contain any other offensive content (e.g. innappropriate situations, swearing, etc.)?
c) Is it an engaging series to read, or are there parts that would bore me?
d) Is it worth reading? Does it include strong biblical and/or moral themes?

So if any of you could help me out, that'd be great. \:D/
I just finished the hunger games today, to answer your questions
a) No it is not centered around anthing like that in my opinion, unless a the plot of being set in a place formerly known as north america and there being 12 districts scattered all over the continent and the capitol.
b) This is a little iffy, there is a little romance, a boy is in love with a girl, but she doesn't really love him back and she pretends to be "madly in love with him" to play along with what her mentor told her to do.
c) Yes, I started reading it in my first hour class and read snaches of it throught the day after I got home, I kept reading it and just finished it about an hour ago.
d) yes/no. I wasn't really thinking about reading it until yesterday, it had been in the back of my head for a while. I don't really think so, but I wasn't thinking about that part when I was reading it. It is mostly about fighting for survival in an unequal society. There is alot of talk about death of the people in the Hunger games, some of it is light, some is quite descriptive. There are good parts in the book and there are some parts where the author goes a little too far but it was pretty good compared to some books out there today. If you think it sounds intresting, go for it. I haven't read the other 2 yet so I can't give my thoughts on them yet. If your local library has them, go and read the inside of the book jacket or look for reviews online. I hope this helps and answeres some of your questions.
Last edited by Graces4you on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

(a) nope nothing spiritual.
(b) a tiny bit. The girl pretends to be in love with a boy-so they kidna fake kiss a lot. Nothing terrible though.
(c) oh the first book is amazing. There were a few boring parts in the 2nd. it you get past the first 6 chapters of the first there is nothing remotely boring.
(d)there isn't a STRONG biblical and moral theme. But it's certainly not bad.

All in all I recommend it!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I'd say that, unless you're extremely sensitive to literary violence (it is a gladiator/war story, essentially), it's a worthwhile book. :yes: I wouldn't say that it has any real morals, but it's not so dark as to be hopeless or ungodly--it's escape fiction, a good story. And there's no magic whatsoever in the series, so that's not an issue. I'd highly recommend the series if you like dystopian/adventure fiction.

(Adversely, I wouldn't recommend Divergent by Veronica Roth. They've been marketing it as 'the next Hunger Games', but honestly, the story isn't anywhere near as good. It's like they were trying too hard to replicate the HG formula and overdid everything in the process.)
Last edited by Amethystic on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Last edited by Parker Family on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Thanks for the reviews, guys.

Being the extravagent person that I am, I'm thinking of buying an epic new hardcover boxed set of the series. :anxious:

Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Since the third book in the series refers to "mocking" (something that is condemned in Scripture) a character named "Jay" I think this series should be avoided at all costs.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Dr. Watson wrote:Since the third book in the series refers to "mocking" (something that is condemned in Scripture) a character named "Jay" I think this series should be avoided at all costs.
Actually mockingjay is one word. It is not a charecter, it is a cross between a mockingbird and a made up bird called a jabberjay. It can repeat almost anything you say. Sorry if what I said seems sort of harsh, I don't mean it to be.
Last edited by Graces4you on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Graces4you wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:Since the third book in the series refers to "mocking" (something that is condemned in Scripture) a character named "Jay" I think this series should be avoided at all costs.
Actually mockingjay is one word. It is not a charecter, it is a cross between a mockingbird and a made up bird called a jabberjay. It can repeat almost anything you say. Sorry if what I said seems sort of harsh, I don't mean it to be.
I think Dr. Watson is coming across a lot more serious that he intends to be understood as...if that makes sense. ;) I'm almost positive that he's kidding and will not find your response harsh at all. :) We have some crazy people here on the ToO!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yeah, you just have to get used to Watson's dry sense of humor. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

American Eagle wrote:Thanks for the reviews, guys.

Being the extravagent person that I am, I'm thinking of buying an epic new hardcover boxed set of the series. :anxious:
Go for it. \:D/ I bought the first book right out of the stores hardly knowing anything about it, and I don't regret it. :yes:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Hmmm, I might read these too. We'll see.

What's the plot about though? I could just look it up on Wikipedia, but that's too hard. :-
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Hmmm... okay, well the story takes place in the dystopian nation of Panem, which is divided into twelve districts. Every year two kids from each district are selected to participate in the Hunger Games, where all twenty-four of them fight each other to the death in a massive arena. The winner gains fame and fortune. Katniss Everdeen, who is from District 12, volunteers for the game to save her sister from being put into the games, and as the Hunger Games hype unfolds around her she finds herself caught in a web of politics and mortal peril--inside the arena and out.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I don't think you would like it and would probably go all "Christian troll" on it, no offense, I like hearing other view points. There is some implied things that you may or may not pick up on. I'd say it was a pretty good series that was ruined by the ending.

Last edited by 31899 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Yeah, you just have to get used to Watson's dry sense of humor. ;)

I guess I am used to him then cause' I got it \:D/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Aéropostale wrote:According to Facebook, Invisible Ninja, Leonard Meltsner and Amethystic have read the series.

Don't do it AE! :mad: My brother's never been the same since! :mecry:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:I don't think you would like it and would probably go all "Christian troll" on it, no offense.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. :lol: Well put.
The Kings Daughter wrote:
Aéropostale wrote:According to Facebook, Invisible Ninja, Leonard Meltsner and Amethystic have read the series.

Don't do it AE! :mad: My brother's never been the same since! :mecry:
Not sure... if serious...

I've post-poned my purchase of the series, in order to save money, but I'm still planning to read them. My mom seemed to like the idea, which surprised me. Perhaps it was in the way I advertised the plot? ;)