TobyMac

What do you think of him and his music?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

TobyMac

Post by KelitaArcher »

Like it? Nope? YES? What is your opinion of his music and him in general, if you've listened to his music before?

I like some of the songs on his album "Tonight", though I do have a problem with a number of songs because of their rather odd or questionable lyrics. Overall, though, his music is the kind that's fun to listen to, makes you want to snap your fingers or move to the beat. Most of the lyrics are ok, some pretty good. What do you think?

"It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what is true."
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Which lyrics do you think are odd or questionable? :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

Well, here are the ones so far, just out of "Tonight."

Funky Jesus Music (Reason: Questionable. I believe they are irreverent to Jesus' name and Jesus Himself. And a bit confusing, as what really IS "Funky Jesus Music, anyway?)
LoudN'Clear (Reason: ODD. I have no clue what the kid is talkin about. It's confusing!)
Showstopper (Reason: Questionable. Very narcissist in my opinion, he is obviously referring to himself, from the context. Egotistical.)

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ya, narcissism, well... that's hip hop/rap for ya. If you listened to John Reuben, you'd get tons of that, although in a much more sarcastic way. It's all in fun really.

I really don't care much for Tonight (too much CCM pop/rock and not enough hip/hop), but... that's just me. I've never been much of a tobyMac fan anyways.

'Funky Jesus Music' ..... is funky music about Jesus. :-
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I enjoy many of TobyMac's songs. It is always good to hear Christian rappers/hip-hoppers in today's secular music world.
*insert provocative quote here*
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

TobyMac has some good stuff, though I like his old albums before he had to say "Diverse City" on every single track!
he/him | a little stinker.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I have one of his albums "Portable Sounds" And I liked it. I might by more in future. But there are other bands I just like more.
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

The dude is way too old :p

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The Hippie wrote:The dude is way too old :p
Have you seen him in concert? :P You'd think he was 25 from the way he rocks out.
Last edited by Termite on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I enjoy to listen to TobyMac's music though he is not my favorite Christian artist.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

ric wrote: 'Funky Jesus Music' ..... is funky music about Jesus. :-
Yeah, it sort of has historical significance to the rise of Christian-based rock and folk music during the Jesus Movement in the 60's/70's. The new style of music was affectionately called "Jesus Music".
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Termite wrote:Have you seen him in concert? :P You'd think he was 25 from the way he rocks out.
He's pretty epic, you have to admit \:D/

And "Tru Dog"...that track is so hilarious! \:D/
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

Termite wrote:Have you seen him in concert? :P You'd think he was 25 from the way he rocks out.
No, LOL, but saw a live music video thing of him doing "Tonight". The crowd was lifting him up on their shoulders, and he sure wasn't stopping them. :-

-- Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm --
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:

Hilarious is a very genorous way to describe it, I think. ;) I still think it falls under the catagory of "ODD". Weeeeiiiirrrddd..... \:D/ #-o :)

Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

KelitaArcher wrote:
No, LOL, but saw a live music video thing of him doing "Tonight". The crowd was lifting him up on their shoulders, and he sure wasn't stopping them. :-
Uh, what's wrong with that? He's a singer, it's a concert, they were all having a good time :shrugs:

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:

Hilarious is a very genorous way to describe it, I think. ;) I still think it falls under the catagory of "ODD". Weeeeiiiirrrddd..... \:D/ #-o :)
Not at all. It's quite funny and boy's voice is so adorable! :inlove:
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
KelitaArcher wrote:
Uh, what's wrong with that? He's a singer, it's a concert, they were all having a good time :shrugs:

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:

Not at all. It's quite funny and boy's voice is so adorable! :inlove:
Well, it's just that I don't think people should be elevated to such levels.

I like a number of his songs (some A LOT) but LoudN'Clear just isn't one of them. :) :- I have my preferences!

Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

So do I ;)
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

;) Who doesn't? ;) :D

The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Come onnn, he's a rockstar, that's just what we do at concerts. We're just having fun \:D/

KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

Sure, but also remember what your singing(and whether or not your actions are glorifying God) if you call yourself a Christian artist. :) There are plenty of ways to have fun and be Christ-like at the same time. :) Being a rockstar has its pitfalls!

The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

KelitaArcher wrote:Sure, but also remember what your singing(and whether or not your actions are glorifying God) if you call yourself a Christian artist. :) There are plenty of ways to have fun and be Christ-like at the same time. :) Being a rockstar has its pitfalls!
I agree, but who is anyone to judge?