Piano!

Who else loves playing the pianoforte?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

KelitaArcher wrote:Why do you hate listening to others play? Are they THAT bad? ;)
It just bores me. They're not bad, it's just I start to zone out and not listen anymore and then I get bored. ;)
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I've been learning to play the piano for at least 7 years. I've come to like it better than I did when I was younger.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

KelitaArcher wrote::) Ahhh... the sweet piano. Best instrument ever invented, besides the human voice, of course. :)
What is your opinion of it? Do you play it? How long have you been playing it?

I certainly love it...play it all the time and been doing so for nearly 4 years. ;) My opinion of it is very very high. :D \:D/
I have been taking lessons for 5 or 6 years now. :yes: I really enjoy it, although I'm not that good. :(

\:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I've taken lessons for about ten years. I'm not sure I'll be taking it again this year.
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

ric wrote:I've taken lessons for about ten years. I'm not sure I'll be taking it again this year.
WHY?? After ten years? WHY???

-- Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 am --
Lee wrote:
KelitaArcher wrote::) Ahhh... the sweet piano. Best instrument ever invented, besides the human voice, of course. :)
What is your opinion of it? Do you play it? How long have you been playing it?

I certainly love it...play it all the time and been doing so for nearly 4 years. ;) My opinion of it is very very high. :D \:D/
I have been taking lessons for 5 or 6 years now. :yes: I really enjoy it, although I'm not that good. :(
Lee... that's all that matters! ;) Keep going!

-- Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 am --
Peachey Keen wrote:I've been learning to play the piano for at least 7 years. I've come to like it better than I did when I was younger.
Same here. (about the coming to like it better than you did when you were younger.) I DID play when I was eight, (this is not included in my 3 years of piano so far) and did it until about 10, but my heart wasn't in it yet, and I didn't care the slightest. But, at 12... things changed... QUICK. :)

"It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what is true."
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

ric wrote:I've taken lessons for about ten years. I'm not sure I'll be taking it again this year.
I'm with you man. I don't know if I really want to keep on with lessons. Tough decisions.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

KelitaArcher wrote:
I'm sort of at that point where I either stop taking lesson but just keep playing as a hobby, or get super into it and make it my career, which I'm really not seeing happening at the moment. :P

I still might go into music when I grow up though. Just not classical or jazz. It doesn't take too much skill to be a rock musician! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

KelitaArcher wrote:
You can still play piano/other instruments without taking formal lessons - just because you may want to stop the lessons, doesn't mean you never play again.

Although it does help keep you accountable to practice....I always HAD to play my flute more when I knew my teacher would be listening to me the next week. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
KelitaArcher wrote:
You can still play piano/other instruments without taking formal lessons - just because you may want to stop the lessons, doesn't mean you never play again.

Although it does help keep you accountable to practice....I always HAD to play my flute more when I knew my teacher would be listening to me the next week. ;)
Yes, I am fully aware of that, I guess I just misunderstood Ric... I thought he was going to quite altogether. Yes, I agree, you can totally keep learning an instrument without lessons... that's actually how I teach myself accordion and guitar right now. ;)

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

You play the accordian? cool! I play guitar and mandolin just by watching my brothers (one plays the guitar, the other mandolin) and learning by ear. I also look up chords and such on the internet, but no lessons or anything. I do take piano and fiddle lessons though, and yes, they definitely hold you accountable to practice. It's motivating to know that my teacher will be listening to me next week, and if I don't improve she'll be sure to notice :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

You people are so talented! Dr. Watson is like that - picking up a billion instruments on his own. Sadly, I'm not a by ear type of learner. :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

Jesus' Princess wrote:You play the accordian? cool! I play guitar and mandolin just by watching my brothers (one plays the guitar, the other mandolin) and learning by ear. I also look up chords and such on the internet, but no lessons or anything. I do take piano and fiddle lessons though, and yes, they definitely hold you accountable to practice. It's motivating to know that my teacher will be listening to me next week, and if I don't improve she'll be sure to notice :)
Yeshh, it's pretty fun. :) It CERTAINLY keeps you motivated (pretty much, MOST weeks! ;) :- ) My teacher will beat me up if I don't practice. LOL. :anxious: She's seen everything from me... the good, the bad and the ugly.

-- Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm --
Laura Ingalls wrote:You people are so talented! Dr. Watson is like that - picking up a billion instruments on his own. Sadly, I'm not a by ear type of learner. :(
Well, it's OK, sister, because I'm sure your EXTREMELY gifted in a BILLION other things! :) ;) :D You can still be very talented and not be a play-by-ear person. :D \:D/