Favorite Music Genre

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

ric wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
The Hippie wrote:
Termite wrote:Give us a band and song that sounds like Owl City. \:D/ With the same epic lyrics.

THERE IS NO OTHER.
"Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service and "Echo of Love" by An Epic no Less come to mind. I could go on though.
The first time I heard The Postal Service I thought it was a really bad Adam Young recording. :P A couple of songs have grown on me since then, but their music still lacks the lyrical and musical excellence that Owl City possesses. I'm listening to "Echo of Love", and it's kind of catchy, but again, not nearly as good as Owl City. I see similarities, but in my mind there's no comparison; Owl City stands out from the rest. (Note: I have found, however, that Owl City does tend to find more favor with people who pay more attention to lyrics. It has that extra poetic 'oomph', so to speak.)
Or it could have the opposite affect. Some people don't like fluffy, light lyrics that sound like they're out of a children's book.

Btw, many people call Owl City a cheap rip-off of The Postal Service, so, I guess it's just a matter of opinion. Although, I personally think they sound quite different, and their musical and lyrical styles are different enough that they can't be seriously compared at all.

For my part, I much prefer The Postal Service, but that doesn't mean I think The Postal Service's lyrical and musical style is better.

Umm, I pay a ridicules amount of attention to lyrics and the poetic nature of songs. Trust me. And just cause The Postal Service might not have had as good recording equipment as Adam Young does doesn't mean it's "bad recording" He can be very poetic at times, but he also has alot of fluffy lyrics as well, just listen to "Strawberry Avalanche"...

Try to be a little less close minded, and open up to some other musical artists as well :) instead of just saying "OWL CITY IS AWESOME, EVERYONE ELSE IS LAME"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Owl City now and again, but I also love alot of other artists in the same genre.

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Totally Ska. No question.

BTW Owl City is the best kind of that type of genera out there. It's like the perfect cookie. First you put in the great quality which is the base (Flower) The musical genius of Adam Young (creative lyrics, great synthesizers, and tone of voice, which is the sweeten'd sugar and chocolate chips. Finally you cook it up with them being just songs you want to keep going back to and the songs being very catchy,

and that's how you get the perfect musical cookie.

That's my humorous take anyway. I still listen to other music of the genera like "Glacier Island" and "Postal Service" But Owl City beats them all.

That being said, Ska is still my favorite Genera. That and punk. No question.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

^^^ Owl City win. :lol: But ska is still terrible. :noway:
The Hippie wrote:Umm, I pay a ridicules amount of attention to lyrics and the poetic nature of songs. Trust me. And just cause The Postal Service might not have had as good recording equipment as Adam Young does doesn't mean it's "bad recording" He can be very poetic at times, but he also has alot of fluffy lyrics as well, just listen to "Strawberry Avalanche"...

Try to be a little less close minded, and open up to some other musical artists as well :) instead of just saying "OWL CITY IS AWESOME, EVERYONE ELSE IS LAME"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Owl City now and again, but I also love alot of other artists in the same genre.
Strawberry Avalanche. :inlove: That's one of my favorites.

I wasn't implying that The Postal Service has bad recording equipment, simply that the lead singer vaguely reminded me of Adam Young at first (unfocused) listen. They're fine for the style they're aiming for, but they don't have the same "wow" factor Owl City has the first time you hear a song.

I've heard many different artists over the years, and I did enjoy the An Epic, No Less songs I listened to last night, but I tend to cling fiercely to my favorites--I prefer familiar bands who have entire albums I like, as opposed to less-familiar groups with only a few songs I'm really into. Also, electronica really isn't my cup of tea; Owl City is the only artist in that realm that I'm especially fond of. As a general rule, rock-alternative is still my preferred genre, so I have a lot more variety in that category: Relient K, Switchfoot, House of Heroes, and however many other bands I listen to regularly. So it's not so much close-mindedness as it is preference. (And I never said that everyone else was lame. :- Just inferior.)
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Amethystic wrote:I've heard many different artists over the years, and I did enjoy the An Epic, No Less songs I listened to last night, but I tend to cling fiercely to my favorites--I prefer familiar bands who have entire albums I like, as opposed to less-familiar groups with only a few songs I'm really into. Also, electronica really isn't my cup of tea; Owl City is the only artist in that realm that I'm especially fond of. As a general rule, rock-alternative is still my preferred genre, so I have a lot more variety in that category: Relient K, Switchfoot, House of Heroes, and however many other bands I listen to regularly. So it's not so much close-mindedness as it is preference. (And I never said that everyone else was lame. :- Just inferior.)
That's cool, I love House of Heroes too. I'm actually seeing them live this weekend :D

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Sweet. \:D/ The End Is Not The End is definitely in my top ten all-time favorite albums. :yes:
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Haha yeah, it's really good, suburbia is awesome as well. Very relatable.

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Every time I hear "God Save The Foolish Kings" it reminds me of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. :yes: So awesome.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I can't sing half the songs on Suburba any more without going up into falsetto. :(

Anyway, in case I haven't already said this, I pretty much like indie/alternative rock and folk, with small bits and pieces of lots of other genres, with the exclusion of any type of metal. Pretty much anything that catches my ear, as it were (that includes super-weird stuff - see Jay Tholen).
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Amethystic wrote::x *kills all the haters*
We only hate useless songs :(

...by Owl City :x
*insert provocative quote here*
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

ric wrote:I can't sing half the songs on Suburba any more without going up into falsetto. :(
*sings all the notes ric can't reach* :-
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:

*takes a shotgun to IDANCE's noggin and finishes the job* :dark:
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Now that's just cruel :x

...and another band that I cannot stand is Switchfoot. Man, will that guy EVER learn to sing?! Why on earth are they so popular? :mad:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

:x It's like you're asking me to serve your head upon a silver platter.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:

That's fine cause Owl City doesn't have any useless songs. :x
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Amethystic wrote::x It's like you're asking me to serve your head upon a silver platter.
No, I'm daring you to do it :x
Pirate Oriana wrote:
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:

That's fine cause Owl City doesn't have any useless songs. :x
Besides every single one? :(
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
Amethystic wrote::x It's like you're asking me to serve your head upon a silver platter.
No, I'm daring you to do it :x
As you wish. :dark:
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

What in the world! :D #-o ;)

"It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what is true."
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, this is getting violent...
I like a variety of styles...Celtic is really nice for background music, but it's not something I'd listen to for entertainment like when I'm driving or something. I enjoy rock, some pop, some country...some Christian rap...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Mainly 80's Christian Glam/Hair Metal (ie. Stryper), but I also like Christian rap (Lecrae, old dcTalk) and pretty much everything else (except screamo/death metal, since that literally almost made me sick once). And being a guitarist I listen to the few good regular heavy metal and hard rock songs (I just wish a certain song by Ozzy Osbourne wasn't about what it's about, because it has an epic solo...) and can play several rock classics.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
KelitaArcher
Crazy Southern Archer

Post by KelitaArcher »

So you play electric guitar, DanP740?

"It doesn't matter what you believe, it matters what is true."
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Yes, and you you don't need to use my full name.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.