Adele - Rolling in the Deep

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
No way I broke the window

Adele - Rolling in the Deep

Post by 31899 »

So this is at the top of the U.S. I-tunes top 100 and second in Canada.

Any thoughts? I'll post mine later.

Edit: Could someone please fix the youtube for me if it is possible?

~Done. ;) Laura
Last edited by 31899 on Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I like Adele's version of Need You Now by Lady Antebellum!
I don't really know what I think of her yet though, I haven't heard too much of her.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Objectively, I think it was creative and a nice turn back to some of the older approaches to rock, away from the "norm" of the music today. It has a catchy beat and a nice swing to it. I liked it better watching the video, actually though--it gave a unique smoothness, grace, and, at least in my opinion, expressiveness to the song that I don't think about when just listening. But personally...I'm "eh" about the song. While creative and unique, I got annoyed at her voice after a while during some points in the song (a good singing voice, but a bit annoying on some notes)...and the end got a little repetitive to me. The lyrics are good, but not especially brilliant enough to put it on my list of top songs.
Last edited by SoccerLOTR on Sat May 28, 2011 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

:x You got this song stuck in my head and now I can't stop listening to it.

But yeah, the lyrics are good, the tune is good, the singer's good, and the music video is good. (Although 90% of the metaphors in said video are still beyond me. :/ )
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Does she have a song where one of the lines is 'Cause you make me crazy?'

Cause the thing in my head kind of sounds like her...

Nice song, anyway. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

I heard this song on the radio recently and I am actually enjoying it. Love the disco and gospel feel of the song. Its a nice change from all those horrible rap, hip hop, and pop music that rely on repetitive tunes and auto tune. She actual has a real singing voice. Sadly she is getting criticized the most about her obesity. Truly sad indeed.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

gunblader3 wrote:Sadly she is getting criticized the most about her obesity. Truly sad indeed.
wow, people calling her obese? Society is so messed up...yeah, she's a bit overweight, but she's got a long way to go before she hits "obese". I still think she's pretty. But the fact that people are criticizing her about it like that is depressing...it contributes A LOT to the eating disorders we face, when you have to be stick thin to make it in Hollywood. :cry:
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
gunblader3 wrote:Sadly she is getting criticized the most about her obesity. Truly sad indeed.
wow, people calling her obese? Society is so messed up...yeah, she's a bit overweight, but she's got a long way to go before she hits "obese". I still think she's pretty. But the fact that people are criticizing her about it like that is depressing...it contributes A LOT to the eating disorders we face, when you have to be stick thin to make it in Hollywood. :cry:
Agreed; she's 'big' for Hollywood, but she's not really big. And she looks absolutely beautiful in the music video; she's not just some stick in a pretty outfit.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I rather enjoy this song, and the music video has so much symbolism. The Biblical illusion (lyrics) in it was a nice touch too. She included some very nice stylistic elements as well and elements that did not stick to the tropes of the past few years. I guess one could say she defines the times oppose to she is defined by the time. Her music is real poetry unlike most song people.

To the weight thing, she doesn't seem that overweight, but rather that she has a wider frame structure.

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I usually ignore these song threads, but the discussion about her weight caught my eye. (In my opinion, she is not overweight or obese. She's very nice looking.) I almost wish I wouldn't have came back to this thread and listened to the song because it's driving me crazy. :mad: I've heard it before, but can't remember where. Maybe in a movie? Maybe it's a song played at work?

The part when she sings, "We could've had it aaaaaalllll... rolling in the deeeeeppp..." is especially memorable. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Hearing her sing the song live on DWS made me a fan. I love the unique sound of her voice, and the song itself is fun to sing along with. I like the music video as well. Very nicely done.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Aw, I love Adele, but just as a clarification, she is a UK-based artist, so all the hollywood criticism will hopefully not worry her too much. ;)

Edit: Here's another one of her songs that I love. Pretty much the polar opposite of Rolling in the Deep, but still good. :)