Gilbert Morris

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Gilbert Morris

Post by Lee »

....so have you read any of his books? \:D/ They are AWESOME! \:D/

\:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Gilbert Who? What kind of stuff does he write?
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Romantic historical fiction. :incnt:

I would say it's mainly geared for girls...

Taps

Post by Taps »

Romantic historical fiction... It depends is the "history" about people blowing other people up? I might like it then \:D/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Sometimes. There are fighting scenes... The series I like is the House of Winslow. It follows the generations of the Winslow family from the pilgrims to modern history. :yes:

Taps

Post by Taps »

Hmm. The only problem is the *choke* Romance. :dark: :xx: Don't get me wrong it's not just cause i'm a boy but I think they need a bit more spice in them. (excitement)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

They ARE exciting. :incnt:

Plus he's a Christian so they aren't inappropriate.

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I know guys who have read his books. I've read all of them up until 5 years ago when I stopped having so much time to read, so I've been catching up here and there whenn I can. They are books with a little of everything in them, depending on which books you read. Yes, they have some romance, but it has plot too--sometimes battle stuff, other times mystery, etc. They're good! And if you don't want to read the romance...just skip the last chapter! :D
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I've read his books. I've been reading his books for many, many years. They are excellent.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat May 21, 2011 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

iluvsns wrote:Sometimes. There are fighting scenes... The series I like is the House of Winslow. It follows the generations of the Winslow family from the pilgrims to modern history. :yes:
That series can get really predictable though.. :(

I've read a bunch of books by him. They're not bad.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

For the most part, I enjoy reading books by Gilbert Morris. He isn't my favorite author, however he has written some very good books.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I read his Seven Sleepers series once. It was pretty good, and many of the civilization concepts featured in the books were neat, but he kept flubbing up facts about his own characters and I hated the ending. :( Oh, and the seventies talk from the Sleepers was sometimes distracting. :- But that's just 'cause the books are old.
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon May 23, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:I read his Seven Sleepers series once. It was pretty good, and many of the civilization concepts featured in the books were neat, but he kept flubbing up facts about his own characters and I hated the ending. :( Oh, and the seventies talk from the Sleepers was sometimes distracting. :- But that's just 'cause the books are old.
I LOVED that series! Haha, yup, some of his books are older, but you get used to it. What facts? I seem to remember an age-switch, but I don't remember any other problems...it's been a number of years since i read it though. I don't remember the end either... :-s I'll have to read 'em again.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Amethystic wrote:I read his Seven Sleepers series once. It was pretty good, and many of the civilization concepts featured in the books were neat, but he kept flubbing up facts about his own characters and I hated the ending. :( Oh, and the seventies talk from the Sleepers was sometimes distracting. :- But that's just 'cause the books are old.
I LOVED that series! Haha, yup, some of his books are older, but you get used to it. What facts? I seem to remember an age-switch, but I don't remember any other problems...it's been a number of years since i read it though. I don't remember the end either... :-s I'll have to read 'em again.
There's that, but I'm sure there was some other inconsistency or two that I noticed. Either way, it seemed extremely sloppy on the author's and editor's parts; you'd think somebody would've noticed it before publication. And there's really no way to express my displeasure with the final book without spoiling the series, but there was a lot of intriguing relational foreshadowing that was bluntly cut off by the ending--not to mention the actual ending itself was rather flaky and dissatisfying. I don't know, I guess my final verdict is that while the series (and even one spin-off novella I read) had some extremely fascinating and appealing elements, it just didn't quite make the mark. A bad ending or a distracting slip-up can mess up an entire saga, no matter how good most of the books were.
Last edited by Amethystic on Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Anna><> wrote:
iluvsns wrote:Sometimes. There are fighting scenes... The series I like is the House of Winslow. It follows the generations of the Winslow family from the pilgrims to modern history. :yes:
That series can get really predictable though.. :(

You're right. :yes: They're fun, but not the best written books I've ever read by any means.