Nomic

The game of rules, backstabbing, and a race to victory!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Yes, I think that I right.

I vote aye.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, that won't be active until the 2nd circuit of turns (203), but I don't see why not.

I vote aye.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

203 only applies to rule 203. I believe the rule you should reference is 205.

It doesn't matter though, because I vote nay. That gives us too short of a game.

By a vote of 3-1, the proposal fails.

I move that we amend rule 203 to say: A simple majority is required to pass. Should a tie occur, the first person to post after the final vote is cast will either pass or fail the bill.

I open it up to discussion.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

montywhittakerIII, the current proposal hasn't had not ended yet, because minichef has yet to vote (per rule 105), and she hasn't done the second half of here turn yet. (rule 202).

So we are waiting for minichef to vote.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I thought she voted yes by saying "I think we should..."
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Um, ya, it's pretty obvious that she was voting 'aye' on her own proposal. :yes:
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

OK, so 302-291=11. 11*(3/4)=8.25. 0+8.25-10=-1.75.

So the score is
Ric: -5
Minichef: -1.75
Monty: 0
Moontide: 0.

My proposal still stands. I want to amend 203 to make the passing of a law require only a simple majority. In case of a tie, the first person to post in the thread after the final vote has been cast will decide whether to pass or fail a bill.

This bill is open for discussion. And I vote "Aye."
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I vote aye.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

I vote aye.
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

I vote aye!
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Ok, so the score is now:

Ric: -5
Minichef: -2 (If you read 202, it says to round the score to the nearest integer; sorry!)
Monty: 12
Moontide: 0

Your turn, Moontide!
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Monty, You still need to change the rules to match bill we just passed.

I propose that this rule:
202. One turn consists of two parts in this order: (1) proposing one rule-change and having it voted on, and (2) throwing one die once and adding the number of points on its face to one's score.

In mail and computer games, instead of throwing a die, players subtract 291 from the ordinal number of their proposal and multiply the result by the fraction of favorable votes it received, rounded to the nearest integer. (This yields a number between 0 and 10 for the first player, with the upper limit increasing by one each turn; more points are awarded for more popular proposals.)
Is changed to:
202. One turn consists of two options: (1) proposing one rule-change and having it voted on, or (2) adding one's income to one's current score. (All players' income starts out as 5)
(This change is a good idea because then we can make rule that changes one's income, and stuff like that.)

I vote aye on this proposal.
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

Could I have the dumbed-down version of this?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

OK, here is the dumbed-down version (note that this is only how it will act now, new rules added later can make it more complex):
My proposal is that each turn, one can ether propose a proposal or add 5 points to one's score, instead of what happens currently each turn.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Hmmm, it sounds somewhat unrealistic to me...

Perhaps change it so if the person proposes something he gets an income of 3 points (it costs about 2 to make a proposal), and if he doesn't make a proposal, he gets his regular income of 5 points.

Basically, every turn, the player gets an income of 5, but if he makes a proposal, he spends 2 points.
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

Okay! thank you very much. In this case I vote "aye" on moontide's current proposal.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Perhaps change it so if the person proposes something he gets an income of 3 points (it costs about 2 to make a proposal), and if he doesn't make a proposal, he gets his regular income of 5 points.

Basically, every turn, the player gets an income of 5, but if he makes a proposal, he spends 2 points.
How can a completely abstract game be unrealistic?

The income of a player is a variable (like score), so it could be changed by other rules, individually for each player. So other rules could make it so doing X action would increase one's income by 1 or what ever.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Moontide wrote:

How can a completely abstract game be unrealistic?

The income of a player is a variable (like score), so it could be changed by other rules, individually for each player. So other rules could make it so doing X action would increase one's income by 1 or what ever.
Well, I would like to make it more realistic. ;) It seems to me that if we're going to have an income, the player should get it every turn, and when the player takes actions that, in real life, would cost money, the income should be decreased for that turn.

I'll be voting 'nay' unless it is changed.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

My vote is "Nay", so according to the recently amended rule 203, the next person to vote will either pass or fail this proposal. Consider carefully, guys. This move will alter this game.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, I haven't voted yet (I was waiting for Moontide to reply), but I guess I'll vote 'nay'. So...the next person to post after me decides the outcome.