Favorite Odyssey Character Illustrations

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which of the drawings of the Odyssey characters over the years is your favorite?

Bruce Day's drawings
19%
The alternate 90s to 2000 art
10%
The video series style
5%
Gary Locke's Original art
38%
The Relaunch designs
29%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 21

Steve
No way I broke the window

Favorite Odyssey Character Illustrations

Post by Steve »

I had to dig around in the Official Guide for some of this stuff.

I have to say I like Bruce Day's illustrations the best, with the exception of Eugene. Gary Locke's Original was the best, there. But how about you?
he/him | a little stinker.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I like the relaunch drawings because we finally get to see Eugene's eyes. :anxious: That always bothered me growing up.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I like Eugene better now definitely. :yes:

...other than that I'm not sure. I've never really liked the drawings of Connie. I do really like Gary Locke's drawings like on "Moment of Truth"

\:D/
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I always liked Eugene without eyes better for some reason. I still draw him that way. I like Bruce Day's drawings, but my favorite is the original Gary Locke.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I can't draw eyes, which is why Eugene is my best person to draw! GARY LOCKE ALL THE WAY!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

The 90's to 2000's. Definitely. It's what I grew up seeing, so I'm biased.... but still.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
IForgotMyUserName
I've been here a bit

Post by IForgotMyUserName »

Does anyone know which albums from 10-35 Gary Locke did the original illustrations for?
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

IForgotMyUserName wrote:Does anyone know which albums from 10-35 Gary Locke did the original illustrations for?
None. He started with 36. For Volumes 1-35, he's only done repack art.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I'm surprised I'm the only person to vote for the video series style. I'll completely admit I'm biased in that decision. I pick that because that's how I've always pictured the character's looking, and so that's how I'll always want the characters to be drawn. Seeing as how this is how the characters were represented on TV, where we see them actually moving, I'd have thought more people might vote for this character style.

All bias aside, if I had no picture of any sort in my mind of what the characters should look like, I really like the character drawings since the relaunch. They seem to really capture the personality of the characters.
Last edited by Dallas R. on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
IForgotMyUserName
I've been here a bit

Post by IForgotMyUserName »

Is anyone a fan of the original album 10-20 covers? I can't say I miss those at all.

Boswell wrote:
IForgotMyUserName wrote:Does anyone know which albums from 10-35 Gary Locke did the original illustrations for?
None. He started with 36. For Volumes 1-35, he's only done repack art.
Did he draw the cassette image that went along with some of those albums?

http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/File:Bernar ... h_Tape.png

He seemed to indicate that he had from the official podcast interview. He started drawing Odyssey illustrations for clubhouse right around when the new art style began so it would be possible.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I like all the relaunch illustration's the best :yes: I like the warmth, Connie looks better, Eugene looks better/you can see his eyes, and Whit has a Mullet!! :lol:
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

I like the relaunch illustrations, but I prefer Gary Locke's originals. His art is a lot like I imagined the characters to be. I also like how he captures the characters so well. I wonder why they changed the artist.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Wait that's not Gary Locke's art anymore!?! :shock: :o
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

They're still Gary Locke's, just not his original art designs.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

I really like Bruce Day's work - skinny Whit, nerdy Eugene, and the collages on the early albums!
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Irwin wrote:I really like Bruce Day's work - skinny Whit, nerdy Eugene, and the collages on the early albums!
My first Odyssey album had a Gary Locke Whit on it, so when I saw the Bruce Day Whit for the first time, I didn't like it at all. In fact, that illustration looks almost exactly how I had until that point imagined Jack! Now I'm really interested to see how he's been illustrated on the latest repack of 23: Twists and Turns.

Again, because I was used to Gary Locke's work, I was horrified at the Eugene!

Personally, I like seeing single scenes on the fronts of albums rather than collages.