Church Burns Bibles, Christian Books, Music

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

American Eagle wrote:Aww man, I am having a great time on this website. They have Bill Cosby listed as a wicked "Follywood" guy, with no reason given. John Goodman is also listed because he "Played in the ungodly sitcom, Roseanne." I'm sure the show was bad, but they're condemning a guy's entire life because of one TV show from the 1990s? Eh.

About KJV... it is actually what I use. :anxious: These people make it harder to "admit" it. I, however, don't believe other translations are wrong. I find it interesting (and frustrating) that they hail the "original, inspired, preserved" KJV, but then say, "I have no problem using the 1611 but we don't." So you're using the new KJV? ;)

I also find it interesting that in their title "We Believe That salvation Is Totally A Gift Of God", Salvation is the only word not capitalized. \:D/

Anyway, yeah, these people are wackos. They're attacking other servants of God simply because they don't use a certain English translation. That is wrong, and only brings devision and hurt into the Body of Christ. Basically, these people are simply Christian trolls. Good for a laugh or two, but not something to get upset over.
Nice way to sum it up!
King Butter Turtle wrote:
idiots' poorly-designed website wrote:We believe that it is ungodly for a man to touch a woman before marriage or a woman to touch a man in any way shape or form.
I'd love to see their church greeting time. :rofl:
Lol, i had a similar thought... :lol:

Oh wow...has anyone listened to the music they randomly play on their pages?! LOL! So random! :-

And I love how when they do a Bible comparison between KJV and another Bible, they use the Good News version...one that doesn't claim to be directly translated at all...merely worded in more "common language".

And did you see their bash on FOTF? They are being cowards for not standing up for the KJV being the ONLY right version...not to mention of course, being associated with James Dobson...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

lol!! THis is funny! This is the page of heretics...

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... age19.html

READ!

They call Bob Jones III a heretic because he thinks KJV isn't the only correct Bible version.

"Bob Jones III

Does not believe the King James Version Bible alone for the English speaking people."

lolloololololol!!!
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

Do you guys think it's slightly rude to make fun of this church's website for no apparent reason?
Maybe it's just me...
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Whitty Whit wrote:lol!! THis is funny! This is the page of heretics...

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... age19.html

READ!

They call Bob Jones III a heretic because he thinks KJV isn't the only correct Bible version.

"Bob Jones III

Does not believe the King James Version Bible alone for the English speaking people."

lolloololololol!!!
Yeah, I was looking at that page! I didn't want to add it to my post though cause it was getting so long...lol, and they called Mother Teresa a heretic...along with just about every Christian author. And...most of us are also heretics, as I don't think anyone here has condemned those of us who use other versions of the Bible... :shock:
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I just saw Mother Teresa on that list!!! That is Horrible!!!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

(Mimi does have a point. As starkly shocking and amusing as this stuff is, we should probably try to be somewhat polite about this.)

...Wow. When my family has a problem with a book, we just throw it out or return it to the library from which we borrowed it. Burning large stacks of books and other media items is just going to start up controversy, is it not? It seems like the sort of thing that it would be wise to avoid, just so you don't freak people out or alienate them. :-k (Christians tend to scare people away when they act like "thou shalt not" book-burning legalists.)

And honestly, they're in no place to judge other Christians so harshly. I mean my goodness, just because someone doesn't use the exact same version of the Bible as you do, that makes them a heretic? *shakes head* The letter of the law kills, but the spirit of the law gives life; that's what comes to mind whenever I see a church group with an overbearing sense of legalism.
SoccerLOTR wrote:
website wrote:We believe that it is ungodly for a man to touch a woman before marriage or a woman to touch a man in any way shape or form.
:lol: That would be quite interesting to observe. Also, how would this affect their every day lives? :-k School, work, socializing... (Generally speaking, I get suspicious of denominational rules that inhibit one's ability to reasonably fit into in society. I, personally, don't think Christ wants us to alienate ourselves from people with strange and seemingly irrational behavior, since that would make it harder for us to reach out to others.)
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:(Mimi does have a point. As starkly shocking and amusing as this stuff is, we should probably try to be somewhat polite about this.)

...Wow. When my family has a problem with a book, we just throw it out or return it to the library from which we borrowed it. Burning large stacks of books and other media items is just going to start up controversy, is it not? It seems like the sort of thing that it would be wise to avoid, just so you don't freak people out or alienate them. :-k (Christians tend to scare people away when they act like "thou shalt not" book-burning legalists.)

And honestly, they're in no place to judge other Christians so harshly. I mean my goodness, just because someone doesn't use the exact same version of the Bible as you do, that makes them a heretic? *shakes head* The letter of the law kills, but the spirit of the law gives life; that's what comes to mind whenever I see a church group with an overbearing sense of legalism.
SoccerLOTR wrote:
website wrote:We believe that it is ungodly for a man to touch a woman before marriage or a woman to touch a man in any way shape or form.
:lol: That would be quite interesting to observe. Also, how would this affect their every day lives? :-k School, work, socializing... (Generally speaking, I get suspicious of denominational rules that inhibit one's ability to reasonably fit into in society. I, personally, don't think Christ wants us to alienate ourselves from people with strange and seemingly irrational behavior, since that would make it harder for us to reach out to others.)
I saw on the site that 2 of his daughters (i don't know how many total he has) have full time jobs outside of the home. How did they get these jobs? Did they only apply to jobs with female bosses? Because there's no way they got a job without shaking hands with the person hiring them. I wonder if they are allowed to touch guys if they're wearing gloves...?

Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

:hilarious: I had a good lol at theese. :lol:
EDIT:
:shock: I finally found one important person in Church history they don't call a heritic! Corrie Ten Boom.
EDIT: (Again)
:hilarious: They call tellevision Devil vision. You know what I hate? That church on their website has a list of celebrities, and the sins they do. That just makes me mad.
Last edited by Mark Prescott on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Mark Prescott~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Mark Prescott wrote::hilarious: I had a good lol at theese. :lol:
EDIT:
:shock: I finally found one important person in Church history they don't call a heritic! Corrie Ten Boom.
EDIT: (Again)
:hilarious: They call tellevision Devil vision. You know what I hate? That church on their website has a list of celebrities, and the sins they do. That just makes me mad.
They actually have a number of people church history that they don't hate...all of them being people who lived in the time before the King James was not the only Bible used--or before the King James was even translated!
Yeah, well, the celebrities are somewhat expected...but one of them cracked me up. The first reason on their list was the fact that he was baptized as an infant...which obviously sets him up for a doomed life. Yes, they had some good reasons after that, but seriously, they're going to blame all the mistakes of a person on the fact that they were baptized as a baby? Lol.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

lol

Actually, church should be no ones god. God of the Bible should be their God. :) Just sayin'

Anyway, judging someone by how they spend their money is not wise in the slightest. No one should judge anybody, unless they are in the position to. And no one has the authority to judge people by how they spend their money. They may, but they don't have the authority. :)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Again, someone ought to split this topic. There's two separate conversations going on here.

These people aren't giving a very godly example, I think, nitpicking about other people's sins and condemning everyone who disagrees with them. It's judgmental, and the whole "thou shalt not" thing just scares people away from church. It doesn't show the love of God, it shows the hatred of man. Hypothetically, even if they were correct about everything they said, they're going about this all the wrong way.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

All discussion about money has been moved to this thread.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:Again, someone ought to split this topic. There's two separate conversations going on here.

These people aren't giving a very godly example, I think, nitpicking about other people's sins and condemning everyone who disagrees with them. It's judgmental, and the whole "thou shalt not" thing just scares people away from church. It doesn't show the love of God, it shows the hatred of man. Hypothetically, even if they were correct about everything they said, they're going about this all the wrong way.
Indeed...they pretty much say that they don't want to have anything to do with anyone who disagrees with them on the smallest detail of their theology...that's a good way to chase someone away REALLY fast. As soon as people see what they're like, I can't see a lot of them staying with that church. If they can't get over the fact that someone was baptized as an infant, or that somone even acknowledges that the NKJV might be an acceptable read, how are they going to get others to listen to them? Their hearts may be in the right place, but their hearts have had a complete disconnect to their brains. They seem to contradict themselves in a number of places on their website even, like on this page where they talk about the 10 most common objections to being saved and the Christian's answer to them...under #5, they state, quoting verses, that it's not a matter of believing "a denominational way" but that Jesus is the only way...doesn't that contradict their idea that you have to believe their denomination to be saved? Maybe not a direct contradiction, but to the logical person, it seems so...

And seriously...their website itself scares me away...the legalism in it is sad, and the music...is horrific. :boohoo:

Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

All I have to say, people burned Stryper and Petra albums, but that didn't stop them.

Fire never solved anything but WWII.
he/him | a little stinker.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

On their FAQ page they say the following:
[...] As far as the Gaithers I agree whole heartedly that they are carnal in their music and lifestyle. I will not allow them or others like them to be on our web site or in our church. We don't have them in our hymn books, youth dept., choir, specials, home, etc. You are correct that many "Baptist" Churches do have them in their hymnals and allow their choir to sing their songs or allow their music to be sung by others. I forget what they are off the top of my head but there are a couple of "old hymns" that Bill Gaither wrote that are very Biblical and sound. The problem as you say, they send a mixed message to your congregation, and I agree with you. No matter how good they are we will not use them. Even if I like them. [...]

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... ge216.html
Well, guess what they have on their "Music Downloads" page?! :lol:
...which is written by...the Gaithers!

ROFLOL. :hilarious:

So, should we alert them to this fact, or not? :anxious:

\:D/

Jeremy
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Jeremy wrote:On their FAQ page they say the following:
[...] As far as the Gaithers I agree whole heartedly that they are carnal in their music and lifestyle. I will not allow them or others like them to be on our web site or in our church. We don't have them in our hymn books, youth dept., choir, specials, home, etc. You are correct that many "Baptist" Churches do have them in their hymnals and allow their choir to sing their songs or allow their music to be sung by others. I forget what they are off the top of my head but there are a couple of "old hymns" that Bill Gaither wrote that are very Biblical and sound. The problem as you say, they send a mixed message to your congregation, and I agree with you. No matter how good they are we will not use them. Even if I like them. [...]

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... ge216.html
Well, guess what they have on their "Music Downloads" page?! :lol:
...which is written by...the Gaithers!

ROFLOL. :hilarious:

So, should we alert them to this fact, or not? :anxious:

\:D/

Jeremy
Lol, like how they hate FOTF, but have many quotes by them on their site...

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Wow, obvious inconsistency much. :anxious:
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

They said that Crosses with Jesus on it is an Idol.
Whats up with that?
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

That, maybe, is understandable. Some cults do worship crosses with Jesus on them, making that an idol in their lives.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

American Eagle wrote:Billy Graham, Charles Stanley, RC Sproul, Joni Eareckson Tada, John McArthur, James Dobson, Charles Swindoll, John Piper, Chuck Colson and Dave Ramsey? What on earth could you have against Dave Ramsey?! The man gives sound financial advise, for pity's sake. ;) They also have Jack Schaap listed - they are dead wrong.

The only Christian-movie they mentioned was about Billy Graham. I can't wait for them to release more stuff. \:D/

*sits back and gets a tub of popcorn*
I do not know who most of those people are, but I do know that Dave Ramsey has a lot of good ideas, and my mom is taking a class from him, and Joni Eareckson Tada is an amazing person, she is a quadrapalegic, and yet she helps a bunch of people.