Robert Liparulo (and if you're a fan of Ted Dekker)

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Robert Liparulo (and if you're a fan of Ted Dekker)

Post by The Top Crusader »

As a donator of blood plasma I find myself with a couple hours of reading time every week, so I'm always looking for some good Christian novels to fill my time when I need a break from pro wrestling autobiographies. \:D/

Robert Liparulo is easily my new favorite--I grew up reading Peretti but he like... doesn't really write anymore... so I moved to Dekker, who I think is still pretty popular around here. I really liked Dekker at first... but the more I read by him I discovered that, yes, he has some awesome, unique books... but like a huge portion of his novels are basically the same as his others. ;)

SO... I wanted something new to read, and I recalled seeing on Dekker's website years ago (I assume it isn't even there anymore... no idea) a trailer for the book Comes a Horseman by Robert Liparulo. \:D/ It looked pretty good and I found it at either a book discount store or on Amazon or something really dirt cheap... and I instantly fell in love with Liparulo's style.

There aren't a lot of Christian thriller writers that I know of these days so Dekker is the only person I can really compare him to. ;)

Dekker I think has some great ideas, but writes a billion books and they get repetative. Dekker DOES write good action, but I usually feel like his conversations seem painfully scripted and often the characters have a bland personality and there is little sense of humor.

Liparulo easily matches Dekker as far as the action goes, although in my opinion he does a better job of it--definitely is a strength of Dekker so I will just say they are both really good at that. ;) However, Liparulo really brings you in because his conversations seem... REAL and his characters have actual human personalities and a sense of humor.

He does not, however, write a new book every other week like Dekker, but he has a decent few out right now. Comes a Horseman and Germ were the first two I read and probably my favorites... Deadfall and Deadlock are both excellent as well although I slightly preferred the other two... all great reads, though. He also has a young adult series that I have picked up a couple of the books from but haven't read yet, because I am an old adult. \:D/

So yeah, I just want to encourage anyone who enjoys Christian thrillers to check him out... I'm sure your local Christian bookstore has them, but if your local Christian bookstore is like mine, they are still full price... Amazon has them cheap and I have seen them in secular bargain outlet type stores for good prices.

This has not been a paid advertisement for Robert Liparulo. :noway:
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I've heard of him, I think. :-k Picked up Germ once too, maybe... Does it have a black/greenish cover?

Naw, forget that. I'll look it up later. But still, he sounds very amazing. \:D/ I always need some new thrillers... not enough Christians write them. =P
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I read the Dreamhouse Kings series (his kids series). And he quickly became my favorite writer. His style is so unique.

I want to read some of his other books sometime though.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Cool I loved Ol' Ted Dekker so I should try him out.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

My one regret is that I've yet to find any good Christian sci-fi, either for young adults or general audiences. :( But thrillers are always good. \:D/ Maybe I'll check him out sometime, when I'm not already overloaded on books and homework.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Amethystic wrote:My one regret is that I've yet to find any good Christian sci-fi, either for young adults or general audiences. :( But thrillers are always good. \:D/ Maybe I'll check him out sometime, when I'm not already overloaded on books and homework.
Have you heard of Chris Walley? I haven't read any of his books, but it says he's a Christian sci-fi author on Wikipedia. lol...
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

ric wrote:
Amethystic wrote:My one regret is that I've yet to find any good Christian sci-fi, either for young adults or general audiences. :( But thrillers are always good. \:D/ Maybe I'll check him out sometime, when I'm not already overloaded on books and homework.
Have you heard of Chris Walley? I haven't read any of his books, but it says he's a Christian sci-fi author on Wikipedia. lol...
No, though I must admit, I'm... skeptical of Christian authors. Especially youth authors. Though even the somewhat popular Christian authors disappoint. :( (I got through maybe a chapter of one of Sigmund Brower's adult books before giving up.)