Madeleine L'Engle

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
jesusfreak
OK

Madeleine L'Engle

Post by jesusfreak »

Madeleine L'Engle, famous for her Wrinkle in Time Series, has been on my mind. I recently picked up Meet the Austins and read it for the first time. Has anyone read that specific book? It was written in the early 60's and it shows it age. Some would say it is dated. I adored the 5 chapter novella. In my eyes, it was a beautiful picture of family, a family that I would love to have in the future. The family has two feet firmly planted in reality, which makes it so unique as it's characters mix through her other books and experience the incredible.

So, how many of you have read any of her books? Which is your favorite? Did they make you think? About God? Family? Things just beyond your imagination?

If you haven't read any of her works, they're appropriate for all ages. I'll be rereading them until I'm old and gray. Pick one up!

~Jesusfreak
Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

I have read the first one, and have always wanted to read the second one, but have never got around to it. I'm not much for fantasy, but, hers are really good! :yes:
Love You, Lee! :hug:
We'll love you forever, SnC. Thanks for showing us how to be so Strong in Christ. :hug:
I love you... Anne, Sapphire, IDANCE, Joanne, Mimi, Laura, and especially dear Lee. :hug:
And, my wonderful guy friends are: AE, Regis, ric, Marvin, Whitty Whit, and thegreenringc!

"I May do silly things, but I do them with enthusiasm!"
"A Day without Laughter is a day wasted."
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

Check out the free, fun, and fantastic shop: Express Yourself By Alyssa!

You know me..always ready for a chat! ;) Send me a PM soon, whether I just met you, know you well, haven't talked to you in a while, or haven't met you at all!
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I've only read her one book, A Wrinkle In Time
It was good \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've read the 4 books in the time quartet (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters)
as well as the Meet the Austins books and other assorted Madeleine L'Engle books. I think I liked all of them pretty well, especially A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet and the Austen books. They do make me think about God and the universe and things beyond my imagination. A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first quality books I ever read; it's amazing. \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I've read a Wrinkle in Time, and I'm currently reading the Wind in the Door. I thought that WIT was amazing. I really enjoyed it. The last scene truly had my heart pounding from the emotion and, well, love that she portrayed in the story. I read Meet the Austin's a while ago and I really only remember a few things about it. I'm definitely going to read it again once I finish the time quartet.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

There's five books in the Wrinkle in Time, actually. :- And I love, love, love that series. :inlove:

I read Meet the Austen's years ago... and don't remember barely anything, except for the mother flushing the toilet that one time when the power was out. :-k And the Uncle's Girlfriends.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

What planet am I living on? :shock: I've heard of A Wrinkle In Time but never read it, and never heard of that other book. :D Someone fill me in. :D Is it good?

\:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I've read the 4 in the WIT series. I thought they were pretty good. The whole theology of some of them was....way over my head, though. :anxious:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Termite wrote:There's five books in the Wrinkle in Time, actually. :- And I love, love, love that series. :inlove:

I read Meet the Austen's years ago... and don't remember barely anything, except for the mother flushing the toilet that one time when the power was out. :-k And the Uncle's Girlfriends.
what's the fifth one called? is it an Acceptable Time?

Till the end of the line.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Shennifer wrote:
Termite wrote:There's five books in the Wrinkle in Time, actually. :- And I love, love, love that series. :inlove:

what's the fifth one called? is it an Acceptable Time?
Ya, that's what it's called. That's the one I haven't read yet.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I've read five of the Kairos books--namely, the five "Wrinkle in Time" books. The fifth one ("An Acceptable Time", which is barely related to the original Quartet, I might add) wasn't nearly as good as the others. I have a special fondness for "Many Waters". :yes:
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Amethystic wrote:I've read five of the Kairos books--namely, the five "Wrinkle in Time" books. The fifth one ("An Acceptable Time", which is barely related to the original Quartet, I might add) wasn't nearly as good as the others. I have a special fondness for "Many Waters". :yes:
That was probably my favorite too.
jesusfreak
OK

Post by jesusfreak »

ric wrote:I've read the 4 in the WIT series. I thought they were pretty good. The whole theology of some of them was....way over my head, though. :anxious:
i completely agree! the theology gets crazy deep in some, but I kinda like it :)
iluvsns wrote:What planet am I living on? :shock: I've heard of A Wrinkle In Time but never read it, and never heard of that other book. :D Someone fill me in. :D Is it good?
if you want to read something that plays with your imagination and is just a little bit outside of what you can imagine, especially when it comes down to some theology is some of the books, these are definitely for you. on the other hand, if you just wanna read really great fiction, this is for you too. you don't have to dig deep in these stories to enjoy them. that's just a bonus!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

It's commonly classified as sci-fi, and in a way it is, but it' more like uber-complicated fantasy, I think XD I liked it, though I wouldn't lean on it as a source of theological genius or anything. It's just a good story.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the library.

\:D/