New Lady Gaga single 'Born This Way'!

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

No, shouldn't have been edited...

Everyone is saying the music video is weird. You aren't the only group of people who thinks it is weird. I just read the comments on the VIDEO and people were going, "This is not her best..." "This is plan WEIRD"

Go figure.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Uh... I believe that even in the secular world of music, good lyrics and music can be found. After listening to "Born This Way" a few times.... I actually don't find it a bad song. Even the lyrics themselves. Probably because I come from a standpoint that none of you want to argue with me about...

I like how it has taken nine *wow, I missed a lot..* pages to get here... and still dragging on this half-warranted fight. Really?

Yes, I believe in God. Yes, I go to church. Yes, I go to a community college. Yes, I live with a non-practicing Christian aunt and her atheist husband. Yes, my parents are Christian. Yes, I'm Christian. But do I shut myself off from the world and only listen to Christian music? No. I have a wide majority of music on my iTunes, and yes, a lot of it is AIO and Christian music. But I do listen to other stuff.

Do you listen to other stuff yourself? Because that is what I'm hearing - that all music but Christian is bad....
I probably come from a similar standpoint. And I do listen to a lot of non-Christian music, as well as some Christian, and obviously AIO is also on my ipod. And after looking at the lyrics, I will say that most of this song has perfectly great lyrics...until it ends with a celebretory wave at the gay community that implies that God made them to be that way and that they should embrace it. The rest of the song--props to her for writing an encouraging and uplifting song about being yourself. I don't care for it because I found it to be very repetitive to the point of annoying, but most of the lyrics are fine. My problem with her is directed toward the lack of morals found in some of her other songs (SOME, not all) and her provocative dress and movements.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Uh... I believe that even in the secular world of music, good lyrics and music can be found. After listening to "Born This Way" a few times.... I actually don't find it a bad song. Even the lyrics themselves. Probably because I come from a standpoint that none of you want to argue with me about...

I like how it has taken nine *wow, I missed a lot..* pages to get here... and still dragging on this half-warranted fight. Really?

Yes, I believe in God. Yes, I go to church. Yes, I go to a community college. Yes, I live with a non-practicing Christian aunt and her atheist husband. Yes, my parents are Christian. Yes, I'm Christian. But do I shut myself off from the world and only listen to Christian music? No. I have a wide majority of music on my iTunes, and yes, a lot of it is AIO and Christian music. But I do listen to other stuff.

Do you listen to other stuff yourself? Because that is what I'm hearing - that all music but Christian is bad....
I probably come from a similar standpoint. And I do listen to a lot of non-Christian music, as well as some Christian, and obviously AIO is also on my ipod. And after looking at the lyrics, I will say that most of this song has perfectly great lyrics...until it ends with a celebretory wave at the gay community that implies that God made them to be that way and that they should embrace it. The rest of the song--props to her for writing an encouraging and uplifting song about being yourself. I don't care for it because I found it to be very repetitive to the point of annoying, but most of the lyrics are fine. My problem with her is directed toward the lack of morals found in some of her other songs (SOME, not all) and her provocative dress and movements.
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. :)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

thegreenringC wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. :)
I agree. Not all secular music is bad. Like look at Parry Gripp's more refined stuff. One song is just about Justin Bieber and Spaghetti Cat flying in a helium balloon. \:D/ Or, Switchfoot. A Christian band who went more mainstream to witness to non-Christians. But Gaga is different. She doesn't have God, so she can't sing correct lyrics. Without God, she's going to fail. So, instead of bashing her and her fans over the head with crude comments, why don't we pray for them? :-s
he/him | a little stinker.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I wouldn't anticipate that she is going to fail just because she is a secular artist, unless you believe in the prosperity Gospel thing. ;)

After all, the world was never intended to be fair. More often than not, virtuous people will suffer just as much as those who are not and sometimes even more.

Anyways, enough soapboxing for today. \:D/
Taps

Post by Taps »

Bottom Line for me: I am not a fan of Lady Gaga At all. I don't believe in what she stands for- I don't think its good music for Christians to be taking to their minds and hearts and I don't think the way she acts and carries herself is appropriate. I would never listen to her or start to believe that she is a Christian or has good morals. Thats it.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I like how you assume we believe she is Christian.
For which, I don't know enough about her to justify that. I don't know if she has ever claimed it or not. I have heard that face-to-face, she is a nice person. The way she is to the world comes off as it does because of her image. In person, someone can be very different. *I might admit, that might just be myself in a way...*

Lyrics speaking... I feel like I'm repeating myself. I'd encourage all of you to listen to a P!nk song... but the title would get me another PM, and I'm tired of those. The lyrics to P!nk's new song could be taken like Gaga's "Born This Way" song. A few of you would say she drops the f bomb *if you looked at the lyrics straight. If you actually listened to the clean version, the song is way better* and others would actually listen to the lyrics and understand what P!nk is saying. Taking another secular artist into account.

Everyone interprets lyrics differently. Someone just told me yesterday that I could write fanfiction on a Casting Crowns chorus in their song "Glorious Day"... needless to say, I was stumped. haha. Everyone has views and everyone sees things in very different lights. None of are the same. I say I like Lady Gaga's song "Born This Way" as does AIOP. We see the lyrics differently. He likes to take note that she SAYS "Cause God makes no mistakes" that God didn't do the wrong in this world - SIN DID. I notice that she stands up for everything being bashed about in the headlines these days. And that you can look at yourself and go, "I'm the way God made me. Sin destroyed some things, but God still made my form." You can all take it or leave it or destroy it or mix with it as you like.

I like how I ask questions and no one answers them. *sigh*
Taps

Post by Taps »

About the Christian thing I might be missing something but I recall her saying that somewhere. I didn't say you believed it.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Man, I always told myself never watch any of Lady Gaga's Music Video's because they always ruin the song for me...... too late for me now.
Jelly wrote:I watched about half of the music video today and was pleasantly disturbed, but not surprised. ;) Eventually that chick's gonna run out of weird ideas. Bikinis and machine guns are getting old, methinks.
You kidding? Lady Gaga will never run out of ideas. I mean come on she came to the grammy's inside an egg for crying out loud.

I mean I give it to Lady Gaga for trying new things out (I love variety) but I agree with you somewhat. Her weird ideas are starting to get old. Geesh, I'm such a demander (lawl made up word).
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

I'm late to this thread, but I couldn't help but notice something that hasn't been mentioned yet...

A lot of posters have been making comments about how this song advocates homosexuality. But I think we'd be doing ourselves a huge disservice to say that this should be our primary concern as Christians when listening to a song like this.

I've been trying to build a relationship with a guy who has recently walked away from the Christian faith after being judgmentally mistreated by people who claim to follow Christ. I don't know all the circumstances, but what I do know is that his reaction has basically amounted to post after post on Facebook deeming factions like Westboro Baptist Church as representative of Christianity - and it's so sad because there actually are many, many loving, Christ-like believers in this world. What's even more disappointing is that he's embraced the gospel of self, shaping God into a mere therapeutic construct, not a personal Being who exists independently of his own viewpoint. I don't say this to sound judgmental toward him...but rather to point out that this kind of attitude seems to be rather common among those who have walked away from the faith and are afraid to be labeled as "Christians." For some, self ultimately becomes their god.

I agree that self-empowerment can be a very positive thing, particularly in a world that often encourages conformity to fickle standards and expectations. We're even commanded to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. But there's a certain point where self-empowerment becomes self-worship. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the worldview upon which "Born This Way" (and many other songs today) appears to be based suggests that the way we are born is completely adequate - that God loves us without any qualification at all, leaving sin entirely out of the equation. That we already have God or some spark of divinity within us and are in no need of a Savior. Yes, that may seem to be a bit of a stretch...but isn't this where the mindset of postmodern Western culture has been heading? That Jesus has been conformed in people's minds into their own image of Him?

Please understand that I don't mean to sound harsh...this has just been on my mind a lot lately.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Jus thought I'd pop in and let you guys know that 'Born This Way' was atop the charts at #1 for 6 weeks. :D <3
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

AIO Psyche wrote:Jus thought I'd pop in and let you guys know that 'Born This Way' was atop the charts at #1 for 6 weeks. :D <3
*hides under a table so as not to get hit by flying debris*

Lady Gaga: :blah:

*runs out*

\:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

AIO Psyche wrote:Jus thought I'd pop in and let you guys know that 'Born This Way' was atop the charts at #1 for 6 weeks. :D <3
As I stated before, that is because of the name. Have "Friday" covered by Lady Gaga, and IT would be #1 for a few months.

And if you look at the top few comments on iTunes, you'll see that, according to iTunes, the majority of the iTunes-posting population agrees. That's certainly not an accurate estimation, but considering how easy it is to get on iTunes click the 'Like' button, it's at least somewhat accurate.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

So, for those of you who are pro-lady gaga music, what do you think of her attempts to get into the country music industry?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I don't want her to get into country music really. Pop just seems more her type. Country is for normal people not crazy popstars.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Ayralee wrote:Country is for normal people
Are you being serious? Are you for real?

That is the most absurd and preposterous thing I've ever heard.

Do you even actually know what the vast majority of country music is about?

Divorce, alcohol (and other substances), cheating, death, failing marriages, violence, and celebrating ones own southern aggressive ignorance. See, country songs fall into two categories. The aforementioned doom and gloom theme, and the a Rebublican/conservative-ra ra I love America theme. And that tends to be the only subjects of country songs.

And let me also tell you that I was born and raised in Arkansas. I am from the south. And I do not like country music, with the exception of a few artists.

To be honest, it's always laughable to me how Christians can bash and denounce pop (secular) music, yet country music is ok, cause every once in awhile, a country song will convey a pro-Christian message. But the other country songs that convey messages of death, cheating, abuse, and bad behavior is deemed 'ok' by most Christians. Makes no sense. #-o

But to answer the question, if you are referring to the country version of 'Born This Way', then I liked that version. Would be interesting to hear an original country song written and performed by her. I'd buy it.
Last edited by AIO Psyche on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

AIO Psyche wrote:
Ayralee wrote:Country is for normal people
Are you being serious? Are you for real?

That is the most absurd and preposterous thing I've ever heard.

Do you even actually know what the vast majority of country music is about?

Divorce, alcohol (and other substances), cheating, death, failing marriages, violence, and celebrating ones own southern aggressive ignorance. See, country songs fall into two categories. The aforementioned doom and gloom theme, and the a Rebublican/conservative-ra ra I love America theme. And that tends to be the only subjects of country songs.

And let me also tell you that I was born and raised in Arkansas. I am from the south. And I do not like country music, with the exception of a few artists.

To be honest, it's always laughable to me how Christians can bash and denounce pop (secular) music, yet country music is ok, cause every once in awhile, a country song will convey a pro-Christian message. But the other country songs that convey messages of death, cheating, abuse, and bad behavior is deemed 'ok' by most Christians. Makes no sense. #-o
Yep. Country is stupid. So is a lot of Christian opinion.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Steve wrote:Yep. Country is stupid. So is a lot of Christian opinion.
Are you being sarcastic?
Last edited by AIO Psyche on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Not fully. I'm serious about country. It's dumb. But a lot of Christian's opinios about entertainment and stuff is ridiculous.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Steve wrote:... But a lot of Christian's opinios about entertainment and stuff is ridiculous.
One Word: Why?

\:D/