New Lady Gaga single 'Born This Way'!

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Steve
No way I broke the window
It’s my birthday

Post by Steve »

Becaused it's heavily biased by their denomination ( :roll: ) and not their beliefs.
he/him | a little stinker.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

So, Steve, if I say that all (for example) Country music is sinful, why is that bad? If I'm basing it on what God has showed me will keep me out of Heaven.

My only goal is to live every day, doing the things that will keep me close to God and take me to Heaven when I die. That's it. So I wouldn't say that people who are obeying God have stupid opinions.

\:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Steve wrote:Becaused it's heavily biased by their denomination ( :roll: ) and not their beliefs.

THIS: Thank you Steve. I for sure agree with you.
Steve
No way I broke the window
It’s my birthday

Post by Steve »

iluvsns wrote:So, Steve, if I say that all (for example) Country music is sinful, why is that bad? If I'm basing it on what God has showed me will keep me out of Heaven.

My only goal is to live every day, doing the things that will keep me close to God and take me to Heaven when I die. That's it. So I wouldn't say that people who are obeying God have stupid opinions.
Uh-your deeds on earth aren't going to affect if you get into heaven or not-your faith in God and repentance will.
he/him | a little stinker.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

AIO Psyche wrote:Jus thought I'd pop in and let you guys know that 'Born This Way' was atop the charts at #1 for 6 weeks. :D <3
Overall, I have to confess I like the song. My iTunes play count actually can't confess to how much I have listened to it because it doesn't account for iPod plays... People like it. *plus, it is Lady Gaga. She will reach, most probably, #1... anyway*

As for the country music stuff... I have a hard time getting into MOST of that genre. I like Rascal Flatts, I like Lady Antebellum. Taylor Swift is a swinger artist for my liking *meaning it is on and off, most of the time I'm not into her, honestly*... Keith Urban is awesome. Country is a lot of stuff like drinking of alcohol, divorce, intercourse... plenty of bad things.

Otherwise, as for Lady Gaga and homosexuality - I know Gay's in my community, and I'm Adventist Christian. I like that Lady Gaga can tell the world out there, "It's okay." - as I believe it should be. We as Christians bash and whine about all the wrong things, I have to admit... and I hate it, yeah. I'm not going to get any further into that argument.

After multiple listens of the song and a disgusted look at the video, I like the song. :D
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Steve wrote:
AIO Psyche wrote:
Ayralee wrote:Country is for normal people
Are you being serious? Are you for real?

That is the most absurd and preposterous thing I've ever heard.

Do you even actually know what the vast majority of country music is about?

Divorce, alcohol (and other substances), cheating, death, failing marriages, violence, and celebrating ones own southern aggressive ignorance. See, country songs fall into two categories. The aforementioned doom and gloom theme, and the a Rebublican/conservative-ra ra I love America theme. And that tends to be the only subjects of country songs.

And let me also tell you that I was born and raised in Arkansas. I am from the south. And I do not like country music, with the exception of a few artists.

To be honest, it's always laughable to me how Christians can bash and denounce pop (secular) music, yet country music is ok, cause every once in awhile, a country song will convey a pro-Christian message. But the other country songs that convey messages of death, cheating, abuse, and bad behavior is deemed 'ok' by most Christians. Makes no sense. #-o
Yep. Country is stupid. So is a lot of Christian opinion.
Wow, calm down people...It's true that country music isn't much better than mainstream pop or rock, though I think you're stereotyping it by what it used to be, rather than what it is now. The old ultra twangy stuff is has a lot about alcohol, cheating, divorce, etc...the new stuff pretty much reflects the same themes as pop and rock--some of which are alcohol and divorce, but not all of it.
And as for Christian opinion, again I think you are stereotyping. There are many who go according to denominational grouping, but there are also many who think outside the bounds of denomination and consider things for what they are.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Steve wrote:
iluvsns wrote:So, Steve, if I say that all (for example) Country music is sinful, why is that bad? If I'm basing it on what God has showed me will keep me out of Heaven.

Uh-your deeds on earth aren't going to affect if you get into heaven or not-your faith in God and repentance will.
What about "sin separates us from God." Sin is what keeps us out of Heaven. Sure we need faith, but if that's all, then Hitler or Bin Laden could be in Heaven. Sinners cannot be carried to Heaven's gates. Pm me if you want to talk more.

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

AIO Psyche wrote:
Ayralee wrote:Country is for normal people
Are you being serious? Are you for real?

That is the most absurd and preposterous thing I've ever heard.

Do you even actually know what the vast majority of country music is about?

Divorce, alcohol (and other substances), cheating, death, failing marriages, violence, and celebrating ones own southern aggressive ignorance. See, country songs fall into two categories. The aforementioned doom and gloom theme, and the a Rebublican/conservative-ra ra I love America theme. And that tends to be the only subjects of country songs.

And let me also tell you that I was born and raised in Arkansas. I am from the south. And I do not like country music, with the exception of a few artists.

To be honest, it's always laughable to me how Christians can bash and denounce pop (secular) music, yet country music is ok, cause every once in awhile, a country song will convey a pro-Christian message. But the other country songs that convey messages of death, cheating, abuse, and bad behavior is deemed 'ok' by most Christians. Makes no sense. #-o

But to answer the question, if you are referring to the country version of 'Born This Way', then I liked that version. Would be interesting to hear an original country song written and performed by her. I'd buy it.
Yes I’m being serious.
All I was trying to say was Lady Gaga wears crazy clothes and does other crazy things (eggs, the content in her music videos etc.) I haven’t seen country singers look like her. They dress more normally. She just doesn’t seem like someone who belongs in country music.
Also, I DO know what country music is about but that doesn’t really have to do with my point. I listen to the ACC top 40 countdown every weekend (Yay! Thompson Squared made it to the top this week!). I listen to country music on the radio when I drive. So I do know what’s in the music, and I mostly agree with you. I know that lots of the songs have alcohol in them, and the other things you mentioned. I did not say that pop was bad and country was good. I don’t like any modern Christian music. I mainly listen to secular music. Pop music (which I listen to at work) has just as much bad behavior in it as country. I’m not bashing pop music, I’m just saying Lady Gaga’s craziness (which is not necessarily bad) makes more sense in pop. I listen to secular pop music just as much as I listen to country music.

I did not denounce pop music. I don’t know how you got that out of my post. I’m just saying that Lady Gaga does not fit the mold of country and in that sense the country artists are “normal” as opposed to her. I just can't see her singing on the same stage as George Strait, Lady A, Keith Urban, Taylor Swift, of Tim McGraw. She just seems like she's a psychedelic or tie-die piece of paper and then all the country guys are plain ordinary lined paper. That's all I was saying with saying country was for normal people. (And to clarify I wasn't meaning for normal people to listen to, I just meant that country artists generally are normal people in my opinion.)
Taps

Post by Taps »

Steve wrote:

Exactly. I'm sure you know this put you need to have God in you. Not by doing good deeds. I think I am going to just avoid this thread because this is like a huge argument :(
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

You know what... I know deeds dont affect your getting into Heaven. I mean BAD deeds make it so you don't go to Heaven. Salvation is the only way to God. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

:offtopic:

Taps

Post by Taps »

haha that's ok Lee we know what you meant. :)
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Steve wrote:Not fully. I'm serious about country. It's dumb. But a lot of Christian's opinios about entertainment and stuff is ridiculous.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Bravo. =D>

Steve wrote:Becaused it's heavily biased by their denomination ( :roll: ) and not their beliefs.
Again, sir, I must applaud you. Perfectly put. =D> =D>

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Overall, I have to confess I like the song. My iTunes play count actually can't confess to how much I have listened to it because it doesn't account for iPod plays... People like it. *plus, it is Lady Gaga. She will reach, most probably, #1... anyway*
Yes!! I knew it LOL Glad to know I have at least one other person on my side who likes e song LOL

However, I do wanna address other people talking about how Lady Gaga could slap her name on anything and it would sell.

Let me ask you this; If that is the case, after the big rush of "Golly Gee Whilikers! IT'S LADY GAGA GET IT NOW", how could a bad song last for six consecutive weeks as the number one song in the world? If a song is bad, it's not gonna last more than a couple weeks at the most. To have that kind of staying power, you have to have talent. And while the initial success of the single was due to it being 'THE BRAND NEW LADY GAGA SONG!!!", I feel like she couldn't stay number one that long without having SOME form of talent.

Right now, Gaga has her finger firmly on the pulse of pop music, and she knows how to give the public what it wants. And at the same time, she is making this popular music her own expression, as interpreted by her. She is gonna be on top for a long time to come, IMO. She has only just begun her career.

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:As for the country music stuff... I have a hard time getting into MOST of that genre. I like Rascal Flatts, I like Lady Antebellum. Taylor Swift is a swinger artist for my liking *meaning it is on and off, most of the time I'm not into her, honestly*... Keith Urban is awesome. Country is a lot of stuff like drinking of alcohol, divorce, intercourse... plenty of bad things.
I really enjoy Lady Antebellum. And Taylor Swift has alot of songs that I enjoy. And I ADORE Patsy Cline. I also love Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and Alison Krauss.

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Otherwise, as for Lady Gaga and homosexuality - I know Gay's in my community, and I'm Adventist Christian. I like that Lady Gaga can tell the world out there, "It's okay." - as I believe it should be. We as Christians bash and whine about all the wrong things, I have to admit... and I hate it, yeah. I'm not going to get any further into that argument.

After multiple listens of the song and a disgusted look at the video, I like the song. :D
Ms. Maxwell, I wish I could shake your hand. I really appreciate that you understand the way that things should be, and the way that they unfortunately are.

This is another reason I love this song so much, is because Gaga has, like no other person in history, made a major public statement that it's ok to be yourself and it's ok to be gay, or lesbian, etc. It doesn't matter if you agree with the message or not; How ANYONE with common sense can say that a pop song that for once is positive and encourages self love and acceptance, is something that you shouldn't listen to is beyond me. Especially with all the negative messages sent out by most songs today, you'd think that a positive, uplifting song in hard times would be a good thing. #-o

Ayralee wrote:Yes I’m being serious. 
 All I was trying to say was Lady Gaga wears crazy clothes and does other crazy things (eggs, the content in her music videos etc.) I haven’t seen country singers look like her. They dress more normally. She just doesn’t seem like someone who belongs in country music. 
Also, I DO know what country music is about but that doesn’t really have to do with my point. I listen to the ACC top 40 countdown every weekend (Yay! Thompson Squared made it to the top this week!). I listen to country music on the radio when I drive. So I do know what’s in the music, and I mostly agree with you. I know that lots of the songs have alcohol in them, and  the other things you mentioned. I did not say that pop was bad and country was good. I don’t like any modern Christian music. I mainly listen to secular music. Pop music (which I listen to at work) has just as much bad behavior in it as country. I’m not bashing pop music, I’m just saying Lady Gaga’s craziness (which is not necessarily bad) makes more sense in pop. I listen to secular pop music just as much as I listen to country music. 

I did not denounce pop music. I don’t know how you got that out of my post. I’m just saying that Lady Gaga does not fit the mold of country and in that sense the country artists are “normal” as opposed to her. I just can't see her singing on the same stage as George Strait, Lady A, Keith Urban, Taylor Swift, of Tim McGraw. She just seems like she's a psychedelic or tie-die piece of paper and then all the country guys are plain ordinary lined paper. That's all I was saying with saying country was for normal people. (And to clarify I wasn't meaning for normal people to listen to, I just meant that country artists generally are normal people in my opinion.)
Please excuse me, I miss understood you.

I don't know how Gaga would fit into the country world.........
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

AIO Psyche wrote:I don't know how Gaga would fit into the country world.........
That's pretty much all I was trying to say... :)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

iluvsns wrote:You know what... I know deeds dont affect your getting into Heaven. I mean BAD deeds make it so you don't go to Heaven. Salvation is the only way to God. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

One more off-topic post.

Darlin, just cause someone does 'bad deeds' doesn't mean they WON'T be in Heaven. Perhaps they are saved then haven't really had a fully changed lifestyle. Doesn't mean they won't make it. It says our works will be tested in fire- some will withstand, others will burn. But it doesn't say that those who burn don't make it. As... Moody? quoted once, "When I get to Heaven, I will be surprised to see some of the people I do, and suprised to not see some I thought I would". (and that is a really rough quote. =P Sorry. I can try to dig it out of my literature book if I need to.)

Soooo... yeah. Anyway. Back on topic. Gaga's songs still get annoyingly stuck in my head.
AIO Psyche wrote:how could a bad song last for six consecutive weeks as the number one song in the world?
Cause everyone could have bad taste in music! \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Ok I thought my post was the one that killed this topic, how in the world did it revive itself? And long time no see AIO Psyche, seems like you only post when someone post in this topic I see.
SoccerLOTR wrote: And as for Christian opinion, again I think you are stereotyping. There are many who go according to denominational grouping, but there are also many who think outside the bounds of denomination and consider things for what they are.

And I have great respect for those people in the bold.
Steve wrote:Not fully. I'm serious about country. It's dumb. But a lot of Christian's opinios about entertainment and stuff is ridiculous.
I wouldn't vaguely use the term "Christian" in that sentence. I think a better term would be "extremist". Because I know a good amount of "Christians" who love secular pop music like Lady Gaga. Many extremist take the words of the bible way to seriously, because I mean if we did take word for word what the bible said, than many people who are eating shellfish are already committing sins then.
AIO Psyche wrote:how could a bad song last for six consecutive weeks as the number one song in the world?
Maybe because she has really good marketing skills?
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Termite wrote:
iluvsns wrote:You know what... I know deeds dont affect your getting into Heaven. I mean BAD deeds make it so you don't go to Heaven. Salvation is the only way to God. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

One more off-topic post.

Darlin, just cause someone does 'bad deeds' doesn't mean they WON'T be in Heaven. Perhaps they are saved then haven't really had a fully changed lifestyle. Doesn't mean they won't make it. It says our works will be tested in fire- some will withstand, others will burn. But it doesn't say that those who burn don't make it. As... Moody? quoted once, "When I get to Heaven, I will be surprised to see some of the people I do, and suprised to not see some I thought I would". (and that is a really rough quote. =P Sorry. I can try to dig it out of my literature book if I need to.)

/

Hmmm... I know one thing. Sins that are unforgiven can't go to Heaven. Sure, God can and will forgive any sin. He is a merciful God. But we can't presume on His infinite mercy to carry us to Heaven. We have to live as Christians, every day willfully saying "no" to sin.
Last edited by Lee on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

gunblader3 wrote:Ok I thought my post was the one that killed this topic, how in the world did it revive itself? And long time no see AIO Psyche, seems like you only post when someone post in this topic I see.
It was your post that killed the thread. :evil:

Just kidding. ;-)

Actually, to be honest, I enjoy watching certain people get worked up over how 'sinful' and 'wrong' Lady Gaga is. It's really funny and entertaining honestly LOL. I love reading this thread!!! \:D/ \:D/

gunblader3 wrote:Maybe because she has really good marketing skills?
Again, I say, if that's all it is, then after someone heard the song and didn't like it, why would they keep talking to their friends, calling into radio stations to request the song, etc to make it number one for six weeks?

BTW, I have now started listening to a new AMAZING album.......Britney Spears new cd!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

There are LOTS of bad lyrics!! \:D/

I particularly like 'Till The World Ends', 'Hold It Against Me', and 'Trip To Your Heart'. The songs have FANTASTIC beats (I love the 'dubstep' style of music), and is the next step in pop music; music that sounds like it came from a club or a dance floor. LOVE IT. \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Just out of curiosity, if Lady Gaga was a Christian artist, and all of her songs were the same ones they are now, but the lyrics were replaced with worshipful lyrics, would you listen to it? Completely hypothetical.
gunblader3 wrote:
I wouldn't vaguely use the term "Christian" in that sentence. I think a better term would be "extremist". Because I know a good amount of "Christians" who love secular pop music like Lady Gaga. Many extremist take the words of the bible way to seriously, because I mean if we did take word for word what the bible said, than many people who are eating shellfish are already committing sins then.
I don't really wanna get into this argument right now, but your logic is flawed. The reason we know it's not a sin to eat shellfish is because THE BIBLE SAYS SO. So, in fact, the reason people who eat shellfish are not committing sins is because they ARE taking the Bible literally when it says that the Kingdom of Heaven is not a matter of food and drink.

I take the words of the Bible extremely seriously. Does that mean I'm going to go stone an adulteress? Obviously not. So, if I don't want adulteresses stoned, does that mean I don't take the Bible seriously? No. Ever heard of the New Covenant?

The Bible can NEVER be taken too seriously. MANY people misinterpret the Bible, or manipulate it to fit their theology, and then take THAT to the extreme, but then they're not taking the Bible too seriously, but their own false interpretation.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

ric wrote:The Bible can NEVER be taken too seriously. MANY people misinterpret the Bible, or manipulate it to fit their theology
Thread win. =D>
Helovesus
Green is good

Post by Helovesus »

I like this cover..
It doesn't have the things I don't like about the other one.
Chinese food is God's gift to mankind. He knew we'd live in a hurting world, so He gave us something to console ourselves with.

SnC.