Hobbits, Wizards, and Elves, oh my!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

bookworm wrote:
Trixie Belden wrote:Oh my goodness, I can't believe I missed that! They had LOTR questions? Uggh, the ONE night I don't watch Jeopardy, and that happens to be on!

Yay for Youtube, again \:D/
LOTR questions are at the end.
bookworm, you are a lifesaver. Seriously, I was getting ready to throw myself off a cliff for missing that!

I CANNOT believe that they didn't get those? I was screaming at my computer screen, "Come ON! The wizard? It's Gandalf, for crying out loud!" It's hard when you know every one of those answers and you're just begging them to get it.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Caswin wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:AND NO ONE GUESSED MORDOR?! {sighs}
I can understand that, really. I think the issue was the phrasing of "home of the bad guys", which could have conjured up the wrong trains of thought to answer "Mordor" in a few seconds.

"Home"... home of the... where was that... wait; wait, hold on... the Black Land... OH WAIT-

Boopboopboop.
I dunno...it was the first thing that popped into my head before the question even finished! But I am an avid LOTR fan, of course...it just depresses me that none of them were huge fans...that woulda' been the first category i would have gone for, but everyone was avoiding it like the plague! :(

So true I would have been like- I'll take Talkin' Tolkien for 5,000. ( if there was a 5,000 )
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Sherlock wrote:Kids these days.... :(
{joins the lamenting}
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Yeah, it's cause they're to busy reading stupid books about zombies and demons and stuff. Read a REAL book for crying out loud! :evil:
Last edited by Pirate Oriana on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Taps

Post by Taps »

Pirate Oriana wrote:Yeah, it's cause there to busy reading stupid books about zombies and demons and stuff. Read a REAL book for crying out loud! :evil:
Amen to that!
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

thegreenringC wrote:
Pirate Oriana wrote:Yeah, it's cause there to busy reading stupid books about zombies and demons and stuff. Read a REAL book for crying out loud! :evil:
Amen to that!
Double AMEN! I was watching the extended 1st movie the other day...I'd forgotten how much awesome stuff is in it! Not only great story told in a fascinating way, but it's got a lot of good lessons behind it! Bilbo's obvious "addiction" (or overly strong attachment, which puts it as more important than the right things in life) to the ring, Frodo's courage and taking of responsibility when he agrees to take the ring to Mordor, despite the hardships he'd already gone through...Gandalf's choice to hold to what is right instead of following Saruman's greedy heart--even though it's the harder path, the formation of a group of dissimilar people into being family who hold true to each other through thick and thin...so good!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Pirate Oriana wrote:Yeah, it's cause they're to busy reading stupid books about zombies and demons and stuff. Read a REAL book for crying out loud! :evil:

...and werewolves.

*cough* Twilight... *cough*

:p
*insert provocative quote here*
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Pirate Oriana wrote:Yeah, it's cause they're to busy reading stupid books about zombies and demons and stuff. Read a REAL book for crying out loud! :evil:
So... just so we're clear, they should have been reading books about wizards and wraiths as opposed to zombies and demons?

Not that I have anything against that, but I'm not sure what sets them apart... or did you mean the books' writing and themes, like SoccerLOTR mentioned?
Last edited by Caswin on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I don't know. I like Perritti's books about demons and angels. You know, Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Nothing compares to Lord of the Rings. It is the most incredible story that will ever be told. And that is that.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Shadowfax wrote:Nothing compares to Lord of the Rings. It is the most incredible story that will ever be told. And that is that.
I have to object to that. I didn't even like it that much.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Shadowfax wrote:Nothing compares to Lord of the Rings. It is the most incredible story that will ever be told. And that is that.
Yeah, so... Christ's story is just kind of... there. :? Disagree.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

American Eagle wrote:
Yeah, so... Christ's story is just kind of... there. :? Disagree.
It seemed quite obvious that Shadowfax was referring to fictional stories. :-k
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

yeah my bad. ric's right.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The story itself is just kinda... fantasy, to me anyways. Well written fantasy, but not TOO exciting, imo. ;) The MOVIES, however, remain the greatest works of film I have EVER seen. They're so insanely... perfect. As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING can top the epicness that is the LotR Trilogy. :x
Last edited by jelly on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Shadowfax wrote:yeah my bad. ric's right.
Mmhmm, sure. ;)

*le sigh*

I was just being difficult, I guess.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Jelly wrote:The story itself is just kinda... fantasy, to me anyways. Well written fantasy, but not TOO exciting, imo. ;) The MOVIES, however, remain the greatest works of film I have EVER seen. They're so insanely... perfect. As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING can top the epicness that is the LotR Trilogy. :x

O:) Star Wars is first, then Robin Hood, then LotR. \:D/

Oh, and Pirates come in forth. ;)
*insert provocative quote here*
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

No one is ever going to agree completely on the subject of favorite movies and favorite books ;) Or best movies and such :-

Double post fixed: ID4J ;)
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Caswin wrote:
Tragic...though...why then are you in the discussion? :-k Maybe the lure of the ring was too strong to resist stepping in...
And it is very incredible of a story--amazing piece of work, both books and movies. Granted, the books are hard to start, but Tolkein was a genius.

Taps

Post by Taps »

StrongNChrist wrote:I don't know. I like Perritti's books about demons and angels. You know, Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness \:D/
Those were my favorite books by him EVER. ( That and Monster )
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:
Jelly wrote:The story itself is just kinda... fantasy, to me anyways. Well written fantasy, but not TOO exciting, imo. ;) The MOVIES, however, remain the greatest works of film I have EVER seen. They're so insanely... perfect. As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING can top the epicness that is the LotR Trilogy. :x

O:) Star Wars is first, then Robin Hood, then LotR. \:D/

Oh, and Pirates come in forth. ;)

I almost agree with that except I haven't seen Robin Hood.
SoccerLOTR wrote:
Caswin wrote:
Tragic...though...why then are you in the discussion? :-k Maybe the lure of the ring was too strong to resist stepping in...
And it is very incredible of a story--amazing piece of work, both books and movies. Granted, the books are hard to start, but Tolkein was a genius.
I love LOTR. Nuff said. but I am just amazed at how amazing the story was the depth to it. My second favorite book ever ( The bible of course ) But I love the book's almost the same reasons I love the bible. The Epic of Frodo and the ring. Words can not express the awesomeness of The Lord of the Rings the books AND the movies.