The Pilgrim's Palth

discussion on The Pilgrim's Progress

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

The Pilgrim's Palth

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

So what do you think, I read it in the original "king's English" and got one in Modern English. I really like it.
Last edited by Andrea Meltsner on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I haven't read the original version, but I read "Little Pilgrim's Progress" (the kid's version), and I've heard a whole lot about it. I really like the story! It's great! That, and "The Holy War".
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

oh I havent read "the Holy War"
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I haven't, either, but I heard it on tape, and I thought it was really good!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I read the kids version for my History. It was a drag. Good but loong! I read it for 2 weeks...... :-&
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've read a kid's version of Pilgrim's Progress . . . and of course, I've listened to parts 1 and 2 of Pilgrim's Progress Revisited. :D I should pick up an "unabridged" version of it and read it sometime . . .
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I read the old version. "As I walk through the wilderness, I lighted upon a certain..." I always remember Tom Riley reading that to Whit. LOL!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Evil Chick wrote:I haven't read the original version, but I read "Little Pilgrim's Progress" (the kid's version), and I've heard a whole lot about it. I really like the story! It's great! That, and "The Holy War".
I've read "Little Pilgrim's Progress" several times! :D I've kind of "skimmed" over the original book and LPP was a pretty accurate rendition of it. Just the parts about Christian's mom were made up, many scenes were shortened and simplified (what else could you expect?) and a few names were changed though not much. I guess the Christiana part seemed a little more different to me since she has three brothers and a sister in LPP but four sons in the original book (since she's Christian's wife in the real book).
Recently I got to hear both of the original books dramatized. You can see info about them here. I found them to be very powerful and inspirational (yes, I forgive the fact that they aren't perfect actors). You might want to try picking those up. It's much easier to listen to those than to sit down and read the book. :) It's totally up to you.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I find listening to audiobooks (jsut narrator, no voice actors) or audio dramatizations of books can be just as captivating as reading it for yourself. In fact, that's how I was first introduced to Ted Dekker's works. But I'm going off topic. I love how Bunyan melded his allegories together in his book . . . I can so relate to some of the things Christian experiences. ](*,)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I find listening to audiobooks (jsut narrator, no voice actors) or audio dramatizations of books can be just as captivating as reading it for yourself. In fact, that's how I was first introduced to Ted Dekker's works. But I'm going off topic. I love how Bunyan melded his allegories together in his book . . . I can so relate to some of the things Christian experiences. ](*,)
It's amazing how much of the stuff in there can be useful for us today! :) It just reminds us that there is no temptation except that which is common to man as well as there is nothing new under the sun.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I've read a kid's version of Pilgrim's Progress . . . and of course, I've listened to parts 1 and 2 of Pilgrim's Progress Revisited. :D I should pick up an "unabridged" version of it and read it sometime . . .

I didn't know that they have a recording of it. Is it good?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

AIOfan11 wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:I've read a kid's version of Pilgrim's Progress . . . and of course, I've listened to parts 1 and 2 of Pilgrim's Progress Revisited. :D I should pick up an "unabridged" version of it and read it sometime . . .

They have a recording of it? :-s

"Pilglrim's Progress Revisited," if you forgot, is an AIO two-parter. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

I read a kids' version of it. I don't remember if I read the unabridged version yet. I'll have to say, though, that so far the AIO version is my favorite. And the version "narrated" by Tom Riley.

"AS I walked through the wilderness...of this world, I litted--lighted on a certain place where was a din. Where was a DEN! No offense, Whit, but this guy really needs to learn some English."

"I'll be sure to tell him that."

"Ahh. And AS I lay me down to sleep, I dreamed a dream. ...what else wouldja dream?"
Last edited by Elf of Rivendell on Thu May 12, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
AIOfan11 wrote:

They have a recording of it? :-s

"Pilglrim's Progress Revisited," if you forgot, is an AIO two-parter. :)
I don't think I have heard that! I will have to look and see if I have it. My mom always jokes around saying that AIO covers just about every subject! AIO has done it again!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

AIOfan11 wrote:

If you're interested in a recording from the original book (expanded) you should check out this website.
http://www.orionsgate.org/audio.html

I've been listening to them again and the content is so deep and relevant! Chances are that you'll get more out of them each time you listen. They really challenge my Christian walk. I see that I have a long way to travel. :anxious:
It's a good thing to be challenged. :yes: