Twilight- Awesome Saga or Corrupting Fantasy is Disguise?

Discuss how and why the Twilight saga's and books are a pro or a con to society.

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Jelly wrote:Maybe THAT'S why i haven't been able to score with the chicks. I haven't been stalking them enough. :shock:
I actually had to ask a cousin of mine by what measure Edward (of the movies, at least; the book has purple praise and the single-minded obsession that is Pure, Unadulterated, Utterly Baseless Love that comes with it coming out of its ears) was attractive. Something about his strong jaw and "piercing" eyes.

The thing is, Robert Pattinson is explicitly trying to creep people out and act like a creepy stalker. He doesn't like Edward as a person, he treats the character as such, and fangirls love him regardless. So... you may be on to something.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Wesley Snipes needs to run up in the next movie and just start shooting all the vampires up, blade style baby. Now that was a good vampire movie.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yes, but... You see, these aren't even vampires. They're fairies. You have to tear them apart and burn them. >_> So, unless he's got a good 'ol flamethrower.... \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Termite wrote:You have to tear them apart and burn them. >_> So, unless he's got a good 'ol flamethrower.... \:D/
Because just ripping body parts off won't do the trick - they start to REASSEMBLE. :hilarious:
bella1986
Tallying up

Post by bella1986 »

Shadowfax wrote:
Termite wrote:You have to tear them apart and burn them. >_> So, unless he's got a good 'ol flamethrower.... \:D/
Because just ripping body parts off won't do the trick - they start to REASSEMBLE. :hilarious:
yeah duh! #-o lol... man do they know nothing?
</3~Forever Broken~ </3

If you could live forever, what would you live for?~ Twilight
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Jelly wrote:
TigerintheShadows wrote:Of course, it gives the fangirls--who, unlike most fandoms, make up the majority of the fandom--another view of how they should be treated. I don't even want to go into how many Twilight fans I've seen who obsess over Edward. A real man will never measure up. Stephenie Meyer knows this all too well, because she stated that she'd leave her husband and children if Edward or Jacob showed up at her door. Never mind the books themselves--it's what they're doing to teenage and middle-aged girls and women that is perhaps the biggest issue.
Eh... if girls are so shallow that they'd actually leave their real husbands/boyfriends for fictional characters, then how is that the book series' fault? :-s If Twilight didn't exist, those same girls would still have issues.
I didn't say the fangirls, I said Meyer herself. She created these characters this way.

I also never blamed the books. I blamed the author of the books.
bella1986 wrote:
Yanny wrote:
bella1986 wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote: And isn't it just wrong and creepy that he breaks into her room and stares at her all night? >_>
nope not creepy, its romantic!!!!! =P~ :) O:)
That's not romantic, that's just being a stalker. >_>
some say stalker, some say dreamy... whats the difference? lol
If someone did that to me, I'd slap them across the face if I knew.

The difference between "dreamy" and "stalker" is actually pretty large. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a killjoy.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bella1986
Tallying up

Post by bella1986 »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
bella1986 wrote:
Yanny wrote:
bella1986 wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:

yeah but come on!!! its perfect to have the man of ur dreams watch u while u sleep!!! I would actually be flattered!..... maybe im weird though... :- hmmmm.... :-k this might need some serious thought and mental help...... :-k
And isn't it just wrong and creepy that he breaks into her room and stares at her all night? >_>
nope not creepy, its romantic!!!!! =P~ :) O:)
That's not romantic, that's just being a stalker. >_>
some say stalker, some say dreamy... whats the difference? lol
If someone did that to me, I'd slap them across the face if I knew.

The difference between "dreamy" and "stalker" is actually pretty large. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a killjoy.
yeah but come on! having the man of your dreams watch you while you sleep is like sooooooooo perfect!!! and hes good looking doing it.... I personally would be flattered! but maybe im just crazy..... hmmmmmm..... :-k I might need some thought about this.... :-k and maybe some mental help..... :-
</3~Forever Broken~ </3

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So I'd have to be good looking if I want to stalk girls. :-k

*makes a list*
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Jelly wrote:So I'd have to be good looking if I want to stalk girls. :-k

*makes a list*
Nah, you'd just be good looking if you never slept.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'd be creeped out if a chick just sat there at watched me sleep, even if it was like...Halle Berry or something.

By the way, that Edward dude looks like a straight up goon.
bella1986
Tallying up

Post by bella1986 »

Jelly wrote:So I'd have to be good looking if I want to stalk girls. :-k

*makes a list*

ok ok... so even if he wasnt good lookin i would still think it was magical and romantic and dreamy and.... *sigh* =P~
</3~Forever Broken~ </3

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

If I was married, then yeah, I wouldn't mind... But my boyfriend (IF I had a boyfriend, which I don't, thanks =P)? Awkward. :anxious:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bella1986
Tallying up

Post by bella1986 »

oh well maybe im just insane!!! lol... but u have to love me in all my insaneness!!!!
</3~Forever Broken~ </3

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Ok, am I the only person around here who thinks that the movies are positively HILARIOUS?! Take a step back for one second of the movie and you'll realize I'm right. The actors have such a lack of...acting in the movie, the lines are awkward, not to mention if you see it in the theater--the screaming fan girls gasping over Edward and Jacob completely crack me up. I really cannot watch it seriously. I don't think the movies are "wrong" but they are definitely not quality...and sorry, no offense, but Edward is creepy. Just for the record. And please, watch the following for a clip of the amazingness that is RiffTrax. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQzsbYB ... re=related
Last edited by SoccerLOTR on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
bella1986
Tallying up

Post by bella1986 »

soccer soccer soccer... do u not know me at all by now? i was one of those screaming girls in the theater! lol... the awkwardness is part of the charm! and i think u mean edward is dreamy not creepy!! lol
</3~Forever Broken~ </3

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Ahem. No. And I believe that you were one of the screaming girls in the theater, but that doesn't mean it's ok!! And it's still hilarious!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
bella1986
Tallying up

Post by bella1986 »

well at least u still believe im one of the screaming girls!!! no its not! its romantic!!!
</3~Forever Broken~ </3

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

And this, my friends, has been a lesson in the difference between men and women. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

bella1986 wrote:well at least u still believe im one of the screaming girls!!! no its not! its romantic!!!
Actually, screaming girls are very, extremely annoying, so I don't believe in them. If romance is a screaming girl or woman, I'd rather remain single.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Screaming girls are not cute. Try nausea inducing.
he/him | a little stinker.