Twilight- Awesome Saga or Corrupting Fantasy is Disguise?

Discuss how and why the Twilight saga's and books are a pro or a con to society.

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

*checks* my brain's still intact. \:D/
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Shadowfax wrote:*checks* my brain's still intact. \:D/
for now.

I'm kidding, but I do think Twilight should be avoided.

Till the end of the line.
Steehl
Not Implemented

Post by Steehl »

Twilight is only encouraging the lustful, obsessive, stalking, and psychopathic tendencies in teenage girls who are already ditsy and boy-crazy enough to act them out. (put plainly)
Go Celtics \:D/!
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Steehl wrote:Twilight is only encouraging the lustful, obsessive, stalking, and psychopathic tendencies in teenage girls who are already ditsy and boy-crazy enough to act them out. (put plainly)
Good grief.......I kinda feel sorry for the future children of a lot of members here......:anxious:

People read too much into things today. :D
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Steehl wrote:Twilight is only encouraging the lustful, obsessive, stalking, and psychopathic tendencies in teenage girls who are already ditsy and boy-crazy enough to act them out. (put plainly)
..."psychopathic"?
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

AIO Psyche wrote:
Good grief.......I kinda feel sorry for the future children of a lot of members here......:anxious:

I like the :D smiley you put at the end. Nice touch. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

AIO Psyche wrote:

Well, if they all had children now, I feel sorry for them too. But they'll grow out of it. Hopefully. :anxious:
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Says a thirteen year old male who probably knows next to nothing about girls. That's more true of boys. Sorry, but biologically that's the way we are. Except very few people are generally psychopathic.

Honestly, Twilight is hard to watch. It's depressing, I felt myself oppressed by it. Of course, this same feeling could be applied to Harry Potter, which I love. The story line, though, was utterly hard to sit through. I'm going to site spoilers here as examples so:
In the movie New Moon, the Volterie, the quasi-head of the vampires, leads tour groups into their layer in Italy to feed upon them. When I saw this in the movie, needless to say I was incredibly depressed and had to take a bit of time to recover. Also, in the movie, Eclipse, one vampire builds an army of vampires for the sole purpose of getting revenge. The Cullens grant asylum to one of the younger vampires in the army, but the Volterie don't let her live. Again, it took me a bit of time to recover.

Given the examples I cited above, I have some major problems, from a moral standpoint, saying that these movies are good for people. The examples I gave don't even begin to talk about the insanely depressing plot of the main movie. I would not recommend it.

Also, from an artistic standpoint, the stories really aren't that good anyway. The plot is droll and predictable and the main characters are extremely two dimensional. Minor characters like Jasper and Carlile have more personality than Bella, Edward, and Jacob.
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Twilight is just lame from any standpoint. Don't waste money on something that is going to be old news in two years.
he/him | a little stinker.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Agreed. This fad will pass... just like Justin Bieber will... hopefully.

\:D/
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Oh, please let Justin Beiber's voice change!! He's almost as bad as Twilight and Hannah Montana combined!

Of course, Hannah Montana quit
he/him | a little stinker.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Thats what I mean. HM was huge last year and now you dont see that stuff around as much. Thats where Justin Bieber will be next year. :yes:

\:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Guys, in two years the last movie will be released in June. You're going to have to be a bit more patient. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I don't even care about Twilight, yet I find the conversation in this topic is disturbing. :(
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

How so?
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

iluvsns wrote:Thats what I mean. HM was huge last year and now you dont see that stuff around as much. Thats where Justin Bieber will be next year. :yes:
That's because Miley went down the deep end and Disney isn't going to film her show or anything anymore, if you want to go in to more detail PM me cause we're getting off topic.
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:How so?
Ignorance. People think that hatin' on Twilight or JB or whatever makes them cool. That prophesying how it will all be dead in a year makes them more intelligent then the fans. ;)

The thing about Twilight is that it's not actually Twilight that people think is disgusting... it's the fan obsession that is disgusting. I get that. Sure there may be some pretty hardcore fans that obsess and scream, and it IS disgusting... but that doesn't mean that all fans obsess and scream. Some people may just think the books are decent and enjoy them. But in a world of two extremes, they might feel like idiots for being lumped into the same category as the screaming fan girls; which is exactly what the haters (e.g., people who probably don't even know anything about Twilight) do to anyone who's not also a hater.

I used a lot of extremes, but you get what I'm saying. ;)

also...
Yanny wrote:
iluvsns wrote:Thats what I mean. HM was huge last year and now you dont see that stuff around as much. Thats where Justin Bieber will be next year. :yes:
That's because Miley went down the deep end and Disney isn't going to film her show or anything anymore, if you want to go in to more detail PM me cause we're getting off topic.
...no. ;)
Last edited by jelly on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I have not read the books nor watched the movies, and I most definitely never intend to. I'm already disgusted with it looking at the 'romance' (romance would be a slight way of talking about it) posters all around fast food places and stores. :sick:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Jelly wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:How so?
The thing about Twilight is that it's not actually Twilight that people think is disgusting... it's the fan obsession that is disgusting. I get that. Sure there may be some pretty hardcore fans that obsess and scream, and it IS disgusting... but that doesn't mean that all fans obsess and scream. Some people may just think the books are decent and enjoy them. But in a world of two extremes, they might feel like idiots for being lumped into the same category as the screaming fan girls; which is exactly what the haters (e.g., people who probably don't even know anything about Twilight) do to anyone who's not also a hater.
I would say that the stories are disgusting, but I wouldn't hate on it. I respect it, as art, and I use that term loosely.

Also, the fandom is ridiculous, that's true.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Also, the fandom is ridiculous, that's true.
Some of the fandom. The loud, obsessive "EDWAAAARD <3 HAPPY PERFECT BEAUTIFUL LOVE" ones (who admittedly make up a larger ratio than in most fandoms; there are reasons for that) tend to drown out the more restrained ones. (Yes, they do exist; I'm related to one.)

Personally, I'm more concerned about the overall depiction of "love" in Twilight, which unfortunately also happens to be just the right kind to stoke the fires of fanatical admiration and praise. The "vampires" involved, in all their beautiful, sparkly, creepy, predatory glory, are just icing on the cake.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...