Poll: Should Whit Die/Leave the Show?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Do you think it's time for Whit to die/leave the show?

Of course! He's like.....a gazillion years old!
22%
Maybe.
34%
No, you heretic!!!
44%

Total votes: 50

ric
Isaiah 6

Poll: Should Whit Die/Leave the Show?

Post by ric »

Hi everyone! Vote!

You know what the problem is. Whit has to be played by an old person. And the person dies after like....10 years ( :( ). So, eventually, they'll get tired of replacing Whit so often, and just discontinue the character. Or they could just skip all the hassle and get rid of him now! \:D/

*moves to Tijuana under a new identity*
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

My answer is "maybe." I'm okay with the possibility of Whit leaving the show, but not dying. I don't think some kids (and me, maybe) would ever get over the shock of him dying.

You only have to look at albums 20 through 27 to see how strong AIO was when Whit wasn't in the show, so I think that's pretty good proof that Whit leaving could actually help the show out. However, I'm not sure if the current group of writers could make it work. But Whit is getting boring, so maybe something to shake him up a little is in order!

Dave
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Dave wrote:My answer is "maybe." I'm okay with the possibility of Whit leaving the show, but not dying. I don't think some kids (and me, maybe) would ever get over the shock of him dying.

You only have to look at albums 20 through 27 to see how strong AIO was when Whit wasn't in the show, so I think that's pretty good proof that Whit leaving could actually help the show out. However, I'm not sure if the current group of writers could make it work. But Whit is getting boring, so maybe something to shake him up a little is in order!

Dave
Very well put, Dave. :yes:

Uh oh....somebody called me a heretic..... :x
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

If Whit died, the world would explode. :explode:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

TigerintheShadows wrote:If Whit died, the world would explode. :explode:
So, I take it you don't want Whit to die?

'Cause, you know, the world exploding wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.... \:D/
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

TigerintheShadows wrote:If Whit died, the world would explode. :explode:
I second that!
~Mark Prescott~
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Now as I've said before, the shows between Hal Smith and Paul Herlinger are some of my favorites... the show can go without Whit for a while, but at the end of the day, Whit is the main character--I think it was always at least somewhat planned that he would return, or they wouldn't have constantly been dropping references to him while he was away. Shows never do well once a main character permanently leaves. :x The Office shall suffer this same fate next season! :x
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, I think eventually, maybe after Andre or some 4th generation Whit, they're not going to be able to find an actor with a close enough voice to play the part.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

Having grown up with Odyssey and Whit, having Whit die would at first almost be a great tragedy. But then again, it might actually not be all that bad of an idea. *Ducks behind chair and continues*. I mean, Whits End is a huge place, filled with rooms that Whits hadn't realized was there until later on. So perhaps Whit has made modifications to the building that Connie and Eugene don't know about. There could be all sorts of secrets around the building that after Whit dies would open several different story lines. And that story line would happen after other "whit dies" related story lines. So I'd be sad to see him gone, but I think it would open several storyline opportunities.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jason Whits son wrote:Having grown up with Odyssey and Whit, having Whit die would at first almost be a great tragedy. But then again, it might actually not be all that bad of an idea. *Ducks behind chair and continues*. I mean, Whits End is a huge place, filled with rooms that Whits hadn't realized was there until later on. So perhaps Whit has made modifications to the building that Connie and Eugene don't know about. There could be all sorts of secrets around the building that after Whit dies would open several different story lines. And that story line would happen after other "whit dies" related story lines. So I'd be sad to see him gone, but I think it would open several storyline opportunities.
Ya, that's a good point. :yes:
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

ric wrote:*moves to Tijuana under a new identity*
Good plan. :x

I pretty much agree with what Dave said. :yes:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Jason Whits son wrote:Having grown up with Odyssey and Whit, having Whit die would at first almost be a great tragedy. But then again, it might actually not be all that bad of an idea. *Ducks behind chair and continues*. I mean, Whits End is a huge place, filled with rooms that Whits hadn't realized was there until later on. So perhaps Whit has made modifications to the building that Connie and Eugene don't know about. There could be all sorts of secrets around the building that after Whit dies would open several different story lines. And that story line would happen after other "whit dies" related story lines. So I'd be sad to see him gone, but I think it would open several storyline opportunities.
But Eugene will probably die before New Whit, so even HE won't be around to discover these things! :x
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

^Well Will Ryan is over 70!!!, which is quite scary but, I do think that Whit's legacy could be interesting, like he has all these secret things that's done or invented, like international conspiracy Novacom-type story arc-causing things, that will be triggered. Maybe, he programmed Mabel that if he doesn't use her every so many days,(he turned this off when he went to Israel), then she's programmed that Whit must've died and clues will begin being uncovered. Secret rooms. More tunnels. A shocking revelation about Dr. Blackgaard and Whit's long-lost sister mentioned in "My Brother's Keeper!!!! Even with Whit gone, Odyssey has never been more filled with him, and never has a darker day cast its shadow on the town. Keep listening for Album 54: Over the Edge!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

The Top Crusader wrote:Shows never do well once a main character permanently leaves. :x The Office shall suffer this same fate next season! :x
Top, that ship has sailed.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

There is no Whit anymore. :P
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

DanP740 wrote:There is no Whit anymore. :P
Only a cheap Japanese imitation..... :cry:
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I put mabye. you see I think they could get on without him but there would be a gap in the show. mabye Whits long lost brother could come.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

ric wrote:
DanP740 wrote:There is no Whit anymore. :P
Only a cheap Japanese imitation..... :cry:
Okay, so Whit isn't that bad...that's...like, taking it too far. I like to say "Deal with it :x." While yeah, that's tough, I think that we shouldn't complain so much. Whit was the heart of a lot of it, even though the show went out without him. But then, I thought that...something was sort of missing. It all depends how after Andre goes, we see how the next person's received. But then again, Andre has, what? 10-15 years? We can worry more about it then. ;)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

The Top Crusader wrote:Now as I've said before, the shows between Hal Smith and Paul Herlinger are some of my favorites... the show can go without Whit for a while, but at the end of the day, Whit is the main character--I think it was always at least somewhat planned that he would return, or they wouldn't have constantly been dropping references to him while he was away. Shows never do well once a main character permanently leaves. :x The Office shall suffer this same fate next season! :x
I couldn't have said it better myself excluding your thoughts about The Office. ;)

tags fixed~tkd
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I enjoy having Whit on the show but if the circumstance ever arose in which the actor had to leave or dies, AIO has proven that the show can survive without Whit.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln