Les Miserables Fans

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious
It’s my birthday

Les Miserables Fans

Post by Over the Rainbow »

I absolutely adore Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables and the 1998 movie adaption and espically the musical.

When I found this a week or so ago on Youtube.com, I almost began to cry, not tears of joy...but because I was nearing physical pain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjHzYAv4XCw

Oh, and for those of you who are familar with Les Miz, just listen to this song and you will never stop hitting "Replay". :inlove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odrZ6NtPR2M

So, are any of you out there Les Miz fans, or at least familar with it?
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I love Les Miserables! I listen'd to the Focus audio drama read some of the book and listen'd to all of the musical and have the movie! its so good! the music is very moving and the musical is probably the best in my opinion.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I'm reading it!

Not quite halfway through yet... Hehe... But Jean Valjean... :inlove:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious
It’s my birthday

Huzzah for fellow Les Mis fans! :D

Team Jean Valjean, eh? I'm Team Marius. :inlove:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I've read the book (I think it was abridged :anxious: ), and I've seen the movie. I haven't seen the play though, (I wish I could).

I can't say :inlove: for either Jean Valjean or Marius, but I'd have to go with Jean Valjean.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I read the abridged book... it was only 500pgs instead of around 1000. It was pretty good. I'm not a huge fan though.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The full length is normally between 12 and 13 hundred, depending on the size of the book...

And I don't know who Marius is yet... But I might have an idea. (a friend accidentally ruined one part of it for me. =P)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I finally read the unabridged version a year or so ago, and loved it. I understand why there are abridged versions, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I listened to the FOTF radio theatre version immediately after finishing the book ... probably not the best move, considering how critical I am about adaptations. I saw part of the 1998 movie, and had mixed feelings about it. I am excited to one day see the musical, though I doubt anything will ever top the book for me.

It's definitely a book you should make your life goal to read. :)
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I really like the musical. :P I've never read the actual book. I read the 330 page abridged version, but I don't know that it can count. :anxious:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've read some of the abridged version, and listened to the FotF drama. I'd like to watch a movie version of it, and perhaps read the unabridged version someday.

and I think I'm team Marius; I love him, from what I know of him.

Till the end of the line.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I've read the book and seen the 1998 Liam Neeson/Claire Danes version which I LOVE (and own, consequently). I need to read the book again because it has been years and I'd like to see the musical someday.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've seen several movie adaptions and listened to the Radio Theatre version...I enjoyed all of them. :yes: I suppose sometime I should tackle the book, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Like Laura, I've listened to the RT version, but I haven't read the book yet. I did see a movie version a number of years ago...I think it was the one Sherlock mentioned, since I think it did have Liam Neeson in it. The book is just so long that I haven't taken the time to tackle it yet, but it sounds like it's well worth the read!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Yes. I love Les Miserables. In fact, I've read the book (in its original language), seen the Neeson version of the movie, own the Radio Theater version, played Gavroche in High School in the musical version, and two years ago saw it performed on stage in England. I must say, seeing it performed was one of the greatest experiences ever.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I have decided to read the book but I have to wait cause, my librarys been closed for like a month. :( its because of some wierd chemicles and they had to fix it so they had to move to a nother building then move back in. I am going through Reading Withdrawl!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Bennett wrote:Yes. I love Les Miserables. In fact, I've read the book (in its original language), seen the Neeson version of the movie, own the Radio Theater version, played Gavroche in High School in the musical version, and two years ago saw it performed on stage in England. I must say, seeing it performed was one of the greatest experiences ever.
Wow! sounds like you're the ultimate Les Miserables fan :)
btw, what original language was the book written in?

Till the end of the line.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious
It’s my birthday

French. ;)