Lord of the Flies

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Shadowfax

Lord of the Flies

Post by Shadowfax »

I don't think there's been a topic on it, so what are your opinions on the book Lord of the Flies by William Golding? What do you think of the movies? :p
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

I can say for sure that Lord of the Flies is the best book I've ever read. The symoblism in that thing goes deeper than deep gets! :mad:
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Yeah, it was pretty gruesome at times, but excellent story. I was just watching the 1990 version movie; inaccurate, but entertaining. :p Has anyone else read the book?
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

All I know about this book is from Unaccompanied Minors when they said, "It's like Lord of the Flies in here!" I assume the book has something to do with chaos. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I saw an episode of The Simpsons that was a send up to it. \:D/
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I read the summary on Wikipedia. ;) I don't think I would want to read it. Plus it ends with a deus ex machina, but I guess that is pretty much the only way to get a happyish ending it the situation they were in.
Last edited by Moontide on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I like this book. I bought it since I like books that deal with problems of society so you look at them in a new light. I wasn't actually expecting to like it since I saw part of the movie when I was like ten and I didn't understand it--a bunch of boys killing each other on an island :shock: .
Eugene Meltsner Fan
Gold Member

Post by Eugene Meltsner Fan »

I loved that book when I read it for school. We read the book then watched the movie. I prefer the black and white version to the color.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I want to read it. I haven't really gotten the time.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

I've read it... and to this day, I'm still not sure what to think of it.
Moontide wrote:I read the summary on Wikipedia. ;) I don't think I would want to read it. Plus it ends with a deus ex machina, but I guess that is pretty much the only way to get a happyish ending it the situation they were in.
I just wanted to add that it doesn't really end with a deus ex machina -- the ending makes sense in the context of the events leading up to it. It is kind of abrupt, but that's also kind of the point.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I read it. It's not the best book I've ever read, yet neither is it the worst. Sadly, I assume his prediction of what would happen in that exact scenario is... completely accurate.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

He obviously took the Thomas Hobbes side of the argument about human nature. I heard from my english teacher though that this book was meant to battle against a different book about 3 guys on an island that help each other out and manage to build a boat to get themselves out of the island with ease. Forgot what the title of the book was called though, I'm pretty sure the title is somewhere in the book.

But that being said, the book does a great job with its symbolism.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith