Janette Oke books

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Janette Oke books

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I know that at least a couple of you have read some Janette Oke books. :yes: What do you think of them?

Personally what I think is that they're really neat to read every once in a while, but it is probably not good to constantly fill our minds with the love stories.

I really like Roses for Mama the best. (Or at least the last time I read them I did. ;))

Here are some questions:

What is your favorite Janette Oke book?

Have you read very many?

Was your impression of them favorable, or not?

Why do you like/dislike them?

Note: If you didn't like them, this is not a thread to make them look bad. Simply state you didn't care for them and let it be.
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

What is your favorite Janette Oke book?
I would have to say Love's Long Journey.

Have you read very many?
Yes, I have!

Was your impression of them favorable, or not?
I love her books!

Why do you like/dislike them
I like them because they are good Christian books,and they are well written. I also love romance novels!
Last edited by Sapphire on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I've read her four romance series. :inlove: (we have them all... Love 'em.)

And I still own all those animal books for little kids.... Ahh, memories.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My favourite Janette Oke book is "A Gown of Spanish Lace." It was one of the first one I read, and I still really enjoy reading it. :D

I have read most of her older books, but none of her newer books, so quite a few.

My impressions have been very favourable!

Janette Oke is skilled in telling stories that are believable and interesting without being over the top. They aren't unnecessarily complicated, but they aren't simplistic. They're a perfect fit. I've read a lot of books, and some of them have been fairly lame, I'll admit. ;) Janette Oke's books are good because she writes good characters in realistic situations, and doesn't make light of what's happening. She has just the right amount of detail. She's just a good author who knows how to write.

Plus she's a Canadian, so obviously she's practically perfect in every way! \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Nice one with that Canadian part, Catspaw. lol.

I have some of her books. I have never got around to reading any of them. Dude, I own three series by Beverly Lewis and haven't read any of them. I keep buying too many GOOD books! lol. But my sister loves Janette Oke. Owns most of her books. My best friend loves her. I just haven't gotten around to reading any of them...

Though, I don't know. It's not good to fill our minds with love stories all the time? Is God's story not a love story? Ted Dekker would be written off the list of possible reads in an instant. He's so intricate too... But either way, yeah, there might be a maximum, but as long at the perspective is in control, I don't see a problem with reading good books. (I'm always reading a variety, so its not like I'm stuck on one subject for long... even though when I write, that might take some time to tapper off from my mind)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I believe I've read one Janette Oke book - Love Comes Softly. I wanted to see if the book was like the movie that I had already seen. :) To be honest, I didn't really care for it too much...one reason being that I don't like it when an author spells out an accent. It's distracting and annoying to me. :-

Other than that, I don't read romance novels very much at all, so I generally avoid Janette Oke books for that reason. Give me some suspense/mystery books and I'm happy! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Catspaw wrote:My favourite Janette Oke book is "A Gown of Spanish Lace." It was one of the first one I read, and I still really enjoy reading it. :D
That one was a good one! :yes:

For my birthday a few years ago my parents got me Roses for Mama, Heart of the Wilderness, The Calling of Emily Evans, Drums of Change, The Bluebird and the Sparrow, and A Gown of Spanish Lace.

I think I've read them all about twice. :-k
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I love her animal books, like the one with the Duck and his family and his brother dies, and the skunk, and the turtle. I need to look up the name of these books.

Ducktails
New Kid in Town
The Impatient Turtle

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jimmy, I read at least some of the animal ones a long, long time ago too! I still remember the cover of "New Kid in Town" - that was the skunk one. :D I think my sister read a lot of those too.