Down Gilead Lane

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

AIO is super "Christian." Why do you two not find it disgusting then too? Also if it's really not truly Christian, Why call it that? And if it genuinely is Christian, why mock it? /me rants
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I responded to most of this on the SS... but... I mean, come on guys... it's really not /that/ bad. It's got it's bland moments, and waaaaaaaay too preachy moments, but I have heard much worse from radio dramas. You are blessed PF, if this is the worst you've heard. DGL is more preachy just because it actually tries to be... AIO is rather general in it's morals and teachings, while DGL tried to be more specific, and a little darker/deeper as well. There are many episodes where I would say DGL is soo much deeper and impactful than AIO ever is. DGL is great at it's fun slice-of-life episodes... but it can hardly pull off the suspenseful ones. AIO is more on the other side, better at suspense, but (especially recently), a little weak on the slice-of-life.
Last edited by Pianoman on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

In defence of Down Gilead Lane, at some point between the ages of 9-11 I listened to it and enjoyed it at a level comparative to AiO.

If Down Gilead Lane pleases its target demographic, then it has succeed to an extent, even if people out side of that demographic don't like it.
(Shows that everyone likes are better than shows only for kids, but shows only for kids aren't bad.)
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Using John Campbell isn't that big of an issue. Even shows like Paws and Tales has used John for music, so he's not strictly a Focus guy. AIO music is also more piano based where DGL is guitar based. In later seasons AIO writers did write for the show. Namely John Fornof and Kathy Buchanan. What made it nice is it used to air during AIOs off season so you still had something to enjoy. While none of the actors never appeared on AIO a few were fans of the show. Personally I was sad to see the show end when it did.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

As my great grandmother used to say, " If you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". For the worst of the worst, try Beauty and the Beast Within. Other than that, it was a great show. It was similar to AIO but I do not believe it was conceived as a copycat to take its place. They never had the budget that Focus had and did amazingly well with what they had. You remind me why I never have the desire to check this forum anymore.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Guys, it's Pound Foolish. You always have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

@Pound Foolish: I don't love DGL. I also disagree with most of what you say. Plus, you are exaggerating, a lot, and being over dramatic about this. :p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Down Gilead Lane had its good episodes and its bad episodes just like Adventures in Odyssey. No radio drama is perfect. If there is a perfect radio drama out there I've never heard it and I seriously doubt that Pound Foolish (or anyone else on this forum) has heard one either. Since the people who make these dramas are human there will never be a perfect one.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I've never listened to Down Gilead Lane, so I can't really comment, other than saying that snubs gets it. :yes: There's no need to take offense.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Countess wrote:AIO is super "Christian." Why do you two not find it disgusting then too? Also if it's really not truly Christian, Why call it that? And if it genuinely is Christian, why mock it? /me rants
Bottom line: I like AIO because it is amazing. I do not like DGL because it is awful. So I mock it.
Isaiah the Ox wrote:You are blessed PF, if this is the worst you've heard.
It really is. You put forth Jonathan Park on the SS, which I admit I've never heard. The evolution thing turns me off. But according to you I'm not missing much. :)
Isaiah the Ox wrote:AIO is rather general in it's morals and teachings, while DGL tried to be more specific, and a little darker/deeper as well.
It's trying to be dark and deep. Rather desperately. It seems most episodes there's some kind of crises. Which just isn't needed in a Christain show for kids, it's overkill.
Isaiah the Ox wrote: There are many episodes where I would say DGL is soo much deeper and impactful than AIO ever is.
I'm sure there are some good episodes in there. I'll wait for that season 2 and 3 to air online. As for being impactful, look. Handling controversial, specific issues doesn't make a show good. It means it has a subject. Everything has a subject. What makes a show good or deep is how well it handles the subject. And it handles the subjects clumsily and one-sidedly. In Stars and Gripes, the Haley's friend keeps making very good points, saying she can believe what she wants but schools don't have to teach it. And all Haley says is if religion isn't taught anymore than no wonder people act poorly. Because Christians don't act poorly! And it's not the parents job to teach their kids religion or anything. And then there's straw-Tiffany and the parents agree Christianity should be taught to atheists, Muslims and Jews in school (!?) and my gosh it's just so bad.
Moontide wrote:If Down Gilead Lane pleases its target demographic, then it has succeed to an extent, even if people out side of that demographic don't like it.
(Shows that everyone likes are better than shows only for kids, but shows only for kids aren't bad.)
Fair point. Though I'd say this show is giving kids some really bad ideas and shouldn't listen to it to begin with. In all honesty, I wouldn't let my kids near it.
Bren wrote:Using John Campbell isn't that big of an issue. Even shows like Paws and Tales has used John for music, so he's not strictly a Focus guy.
Fair point, though this before P&T. (A far superior show to GLD in my opinion.)
Bren wrote:Namely John Fornof and Kathy Buchanan.
Really? I'll be very interested to hear them. It's hard to imagine even Fornof and Kathy using this material, such as straw-Tiffany. But I'll try to keep an open mind. :)
jennifertwt wrote:If you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
Um. That just doesn't apply to reviews, which what I said was, however informally. I'm not insulting anyone personally, I just think this show is awful Awful. Awful.
jennifertwt wrote:They never had the budget that Focus had and did amazingly well with what they had.
As Kevin McCreary likes to say, you can make good stuff on a small budget. However, they didn't.
jennifertwt wrote:ou remind me why I never have the desire to check this forum anymore.
Erm, well, I'm sorry.
snubs wrote:@Pound Foolish: I don't love DGL. I also disagree with most of what you say. Plus, you are exaggerating, a lot, and being over dramatic about this.
How DARE you suggest such a thing!
Laurie wrote:Since the people who make these dramas are human there will never be a perfect one.
But there are many competent ones.

Frankly, this show is really far from what a Christian show should be. Is it Christian to portray non-Christians as nasty jerks? No. It's ungenerous and even childish. And so far, every episode I've listened to has done that. And it's not just the hopelessly unrealistic Tiffany, it's her parents. In the last episode I heard, Deadlines and Date Books, it turns out Tiffany's parents are so cruel and ridiculously petty they'd plot against a blind child by making her guide dog look like, to quote the description, "a dangerous attack dog." If I were a non Christian listening to this show, I'd either be flat out offended (rather than impressed with how wonderful Christianity is) or laugh hysterically. I am Christian and it still makes me laugh hysterically.
AIO is deeper than this show because it actually talks about Christian truths instead of ham fistedly delivering morals that just aren't true. You can be very deep with whatever material you have. The depth isn't determined by the material, however seemingly simple and humble. It's by the wisdom it has. The messages it sends. The quality of the story.

This show is mean, one sided, indulges Go'ds Not Dead style Christian victim mentality, is very poorly written with bad jokes and mostly meh characters, and it's bad. Please feel free to think otherwise and I'll try to keep an open mind. If I'm wrong, I hope you show me I am!
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

This really should not addressed in an AIO forum, but, be that as a may. At the end of STars and Gripes the Morrison parents make a strong point that it is also Christian parents who have also failed to teach their children morals and values, not only society. As far as characterization, Tiffany is the antagonist of the program. YOu are not supposed to like her and the actress does a very good job of being annoying. However, her and her parents antagonism to Grace will be explained by the end of Season 4 if you hang in there long enough. Whether you like it or not, is of course still up to you. There is an episode in Season 12, the concluding season, called A Tale of Two Families which pretty much sums up the entire series. To bring this back to an AIO topic, AIO had a much broader range of episodes, actors, and as mentioned above a much larger budget. DGL used the same actors all the way through and chose to end after 12 seasons when it was harder and harder to get everyone together. Seasons 11 and 12 were where they "found themselves" again. So, if you do not like the beginning, you probably won't like the ending.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

jennifertwt wrote:This really should not addressed in an AIO forum, but, be that as a may.
This is the Harliquinn. It's open to discussion of all media. You're ToO original, you know that, you just forgot.
jennifertwt wrote:At the end of STars and Gripes the Morrison parents make a strong point that it is also Christian parents who have also failed to teach their children morals and values, not only society.
Thanks for the catch. Though they do say schools should teach it as well, which is the main point. That's utterly absurd and to put that in practice would be horrible. Perhaps you disagree but that's another discussion.
jennifertwt wrote:As far as characterization, Tiffany is the antagonist of the program.
That's my objection, yes. Tiffany and her parents are the antagonists, the Christians are the protagonists. Christian media shouldn't put an artificial line between Christians and non-Christians. There are poorly behaved people on both sides. Shows like aio and p&t are so high above the Christian media that does this black and white, insulting characterization. That's why I react so strongly to finding a radio show that's just as bad about that as most Christian media if not worse.
jennifertwt wrote:However, her and her parents antagonism to Grace will be explained by the end of Season 4 if you hang in there long enough.
Good, but the damage has been done. This show has already slammed non-Christians soundly. Whatever their motivation is, they're doing bad things. Even if they don't remain as one-dimensional, they're in the wrong.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

You are correct. This thread was sent to me by a friend so I did not notice. I usually only check and post in Whit's End. Hej då!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I know this is a huge bump. The DGL FB page has inspired me to go back and start relistening to DGL, starting with season one. It got me curious. Do we have any current citizens here that like DGL?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I've never listened to it, but I think my best friend used to. I think it used to air on Saturday mornings here on the radio when I was a kid, but I didn't like to get up that early. The only radio shows for kids I occasionally caught on saturday mornings were Sailor Sam or Ranger Bill. And an out of context clip of Kid's Corner once(Only remember a lizard's skin coming off if I'm thinking of the right show, not a good first impression.) Odyssey would air in the evenings at 6, so I didn't have to worry about waking up on time.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I decided to make a blog post about it.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
coffeeappreciation
Gold Member
Post by coffeeappreciation »

I loved DGL when it game to Grace's arc and her connection with the kids who's Dad owned the shop and them processing the loss of their mom. I don't remember their names very well. I love that character so much. My shippy self wanted the Dad and Grace to get together. I remember some episodes being boring filler-ish, but I was incredibly impressed/inspired to learn it was created by a young person such as myself at the time.
Psst! Hey, you! Yeah, you there! Thanks to everyone who helped hatch my dragon egg! :anxious:
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Ha ha, I completely forgot about this thread. I stand by my posts. They may be harsh, and they may be old, but the years have not warmed my heart toward DGL. DGL writes the Christian characters as generally nice and the non-Christians as generally awful. It's simplistic, it's insulting to non-Christians, and it's untrue to life. AIO and Paws and Tales are both much better shows. All these years later, I happily forgot DGL exists. I probably won't listen to it ever again, even to laugh at it. It's just not worth brain space. All the best to those of you who like it, enjoy it to your heart's content.
PinkIsNotMyColor
Hexadecimal teenager
Post by PinkIsNotMyColor »

I’m so excited to have found this topic! I love Down Gilead Lane! I used to listen to AIO and DGL on the radio all the time!