Doctor Who

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Doctor Who

Post by FriendlyFangirl88 »

Anybody watch this ever?

...I'm trying to post about Doctor Who on an AIO board so let me take a moment to get my brain AWAY from the idea of Jason one of the Doctor's companions...*ahem*

Anyway, long-running British show since 1963 (I think), canceled for a couple decades, back in 2005 with a 2010 revamp.

...and whatever you think about Doctor Who, that David Tennent is a brilliant actor is NOT to be denied. (Watch him in Hamlet if you don't like sci-fi seriously, the man is not to be missed.)

The newest season has been cool too. You know, like bow ties. LOL.

Anybody?
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I have heard of Doctor Who, but I have never watched it.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I know he battles giant salt shakers or something.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

The Top Crusader wrote:I know he battles giant salt shakers or something.
EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

Those would be the Daleks. They are his greatest enemies, a race of xenophobic aliens in metallic shells whose only purpose in life is to exterminate all organic life that is not a Dalek. And yes, they do look kind of like salt shakers.

But he battles a lot of things. Lots of weird, alien... things. It's a good show.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I might like it if I ever gave it a shot... I don't think I've actually ever seen an episode, new or old versions. ;)

My brother is a HUGE fan of it, though.

I don't know, is it like... WAAAY sci-fi, or only lightly? I dig sci-fi on the level of the average comic book, but Star Trek type stuff is too far fetched to usually hold my interest (although I did like the reboot movie).
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

My brother is a HUGE fan of it, though.
My bro likes it too
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Honestly it bounces back and forth in as far as sci-fi "hardness" goes. Sometimes, the extent of the sci-fi is the TARDIS dumping them somewhere and some alien is trying to do stuff.

...other times the techno-babble can...overwhelm...significantly.

Still...completely brilliant.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I love Doctor Who! I watched some of the old series (Mom watched reruns from the 80's and even knitted a Tom Baker scarf...) then caught the third episode of the new one and was hooked! I'm now watching the new ones with my Mom, who likes it a lot too.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

My boyfriend got me hooked on Doctor Who about a month or so ago. I haven't been able to find any of the older seasons online but I have watched the first 4 of the 5 newest seasons. I love David Tennant. He's the best doctor I've seen so far.
I've watched all four of the newest seasons on youtube...but they don't have the older seasons :(
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Gondorgirl
Gold Member

Post by Gondorgirl »

FriendlyFangirl88 wrote:Anybody watch this ever?

...I'm trying to post about Doctor Who on an AIO board so let me take a moment to get my brain AWAY from the idea of Jason one of the Doctor's companions...*ahem*

Anyway, long-running British show since 1963 (I think), canceled for a couple decades, back in 2005 with a 2010 revamp.

...and whatever you think about Doctor Who, that David Tennent is a brilliant actor is NOT to be denied. (Watch him in Hamlet if you don't like sci-fi seriously, the man is not to be missed.)

The newest season has been cool too. You know, like bow ties. LOL.

Anybody?
'twas started in 1963, took a hiatus from 1989 until 1996 when there was a TV movie and then another hiatus until 2005 when it started again with Christopher Eccleston (hallelujah I spelled that right on the first try)

David Tennant is (sorry, was :( ) the best Doctor ever but Matt Smith is doing an excellent job of following him, I can't wait to see the season finale next week!
I believe that love is greater
Never ceasing, always hoping
Always just beneath the Dawn
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Well...the series 5 final has come and gone. I stared in confusion, I cried, I shouted with joy. I also decided that River Song is perhaps the most epic companion EVER. (minus Ace...I don't think Ace can be beaten.) Opinions anyone?
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I've never seen "Doctor Who" or really know what it's about but it sounds familiar.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

The Top Crusader wrote:I might like it if I ever gave it a shot... I don't think I've actually ever seen an episode, new or old versions. ;)

I don't know, is it like... WAAAY sci-fi, or only lightly? I dig sci-fi on the level of the average comic book, but Star Trek type stuff is too far fetched to usually hold my interest (although I did like the reboot movie).
It's part comedy, part sci-fi... but it's not so sci-fi that you don't have any idea what's going on. And if you do start watching it, start at Season 2. Or watch the finale of Season 1 and then watch season 2.

David Tennant is definitely my favorite Doctor! You can tell the difference between David Tennant's Season 2 Doctor and Season 4 Doctor. His acting and the scripts improved greatly! (He shined when they provided better quality writing.)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Actually watching Season 1 would probably be better. Sure the doctor who played before David Tennent wasn't that great...he was okay...but it would explain some things that happen in Season 2.
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Hey, Chris Eccleston is AMAZING.
...he's just...um...more...villain material than....uh...hero...yeah.

It's true though, without season 1 you'll miss a lot of stuff. Like the Rift in Cardiff and Jack's...condition in series 3. (wait, actually that's where you learn about it at all if you don't watch Torchwood. Sorry, my bad)

But above all, skip series one and you miss FATHERS DAY! So Roses' dad in the alternate dimension won't have NEARLY the emotional impact he should.
Gondorgirl
Gold Member

Post by Gondorgirl »

FriendlyFangirl88 wrote:Well...the series 5 final has come and gone. I stared in confusion, I cried, I shouted with joy. I also decided that River Song is perhaps the most epic companion EVER. (minus Ace...I don't think Ace can be beaten.) Opinions anyone?
She is pretty amazing but I'm always a little bugged by the invincible people ;)

However, I absolutely love Matt Smith as much as I thought he would, he's so awesome and though reminiscent of old doctors (Patrick Troughton!!) he's totally his own Doctor :D
I believe that love is greater
Never ceasing, always hoping
Always just beneath the Dawn
Officer David Harley
Classic

Post by Officer David Harley »

I love Dr Who. It is my favorite TV show. I watch it nearly every night of the school week. Imagine how scary it would be to see a Darlek going through the hallways of your school saying Exterminate or on Halloween with the voice thing and everything, I would so run and hide, to bad stairs aren't a problem for them anymore.

Officer David Harley
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I'm working on finishing up season 5 right now. The 11th doctor is pretty good...but he just doesn't match up with what the 10th doctor had. I rather miss the 10th doctor.
Especially since season 5 is looking like it's leading up to a very sad ending. Not sure yet though. Still have a few more episodes to go.
I don't care much for River Song though. Haven't seen her much but still.....I always liked Rose. There was no companion for the Doctor like Rose. Everyone else was good but there was something special about Rose.

And I still can't find any episodes of the first 8 doctors. Does anyone happen to know a site where they would be? I really want to see the whole story, not just the ones with the latest 3 Doctors
Officer David Harley
Classic

Post by Officer David Harley »

StrongNChrist wrote:I don't care much for River Song though. Haven't seen her much but still.....I always liked Rose. There was no companion for the Doctor like Rose. Everyone else was good but there was something special about Rose.
I don't like Rose, she has an odd mouth, like her teeth are to big for her face or something. I liked Martha(new season 3)
StrongNChrist wrote:And I still can't find any episodes of the first 8 doctors. Does anyone happen to know a site where they would be? I really want to see the whole story, not just the ones with the latest 3 Doctors
Here is the site I use it has the old series and the new ones. It also has Torchwood. Hope you enjoy.

Officer David Harley
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

ODH, I love you :inlove: Thank you so much \:D/

Martha was okay. Rose lasted the longest and was more special to the Doctor then the others. Amy was pretty good too. I can't remember her name, but one of the other companions, wasn my least favorite. The one who became part of a Time Lord herself. I never liked her. Martha was the second best and Amy the third.