Texting

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Texting

Post by Whitty Whit »

Ok. At my church, I met this girl that texts all the time. I mean she texts at school, at home, even at youth group. I asked her to stop and she said and i quote "i love texting, i can't stop." wow. can anyone say addicting????

does anybody else know someone like that?
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I don't know very many people like that(thankfully).

Hmm, is texting or the ToO more addicting? :)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I sent my first text message the other day, to my sister. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

lol, AE, I don't know anyone like that.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

American Eagle wrote:I sent my first text message the other day, to my sister. \:D/
Meh. I've texted before. Not so much, but yeah. I quit. Last text on my birthday telling a friend thanks! \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Wow. You guys obviously haven't met my (former) friends. Can we say obsession much? They were always on their phones when I hung around them, and they probably still are; I wouldn't know, I stopped hanging aound them for creative differences. Once at a slumber party this one girl heard her phone vibrating and every time, she'd spaz out and go "OOOH! I got a text!" It's like, yeah, that's the greatest thing in the world.

Since I have to pay for my own phone--bill, service, phone, everything--I can honestly say that I can't text. Like, I barely know how. My brother doesn't have a phone and my parents don't like texting. Plus, my mom is of the opinion that people my age shouldn't have cell phones--and given the trouble texting has caused at my school, I'd say she's right.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Wow. You guys obviously haven't met my (former) friends. Can we say obsession much? They were always on their phones when I hung around them, and they probably still are; I wouldn't know, I stopped hanging aound them for creative differences. Once at a slumber party this one girl heard her phone vibrating and every time, she'd spaz out and go "OOOH! I got a text!" It's like, yeah, that's the greatest thing in the world.

Since I have to pay for my own phone--bill, service, phone, everything--I can honestly say that I can't text. Like, I barely know how. My brother doesn't have a phone and my parents don't like texting. Plus, my mom is of the opinion that people my age shouldn't have cell phones--and given the trouble texting has caused at my school, I'd say she's right.

That is why i don't text. I would get addicted
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I don't get how texting causes trouble at school. Enlighten me.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Texting during class instead of paying attention to the teacher maybe?

Personally, I enjoy texting. I have to pay for my cellphone myself now because I have unlimited texting but I still enjoy doing it. Of course, I rarely text anyone but my boyfriend. But I have never met someone that obsessed with texting. Even I know when to stop texting. I don't text during church or Bible studies or anything. I don't text during meal times with the family or when I'm talking with my family or watching a movie with them. There are times when someone shouldn't text.....but texting is still fun :yes:
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Texting is a great tool in it of itself, but yeah, some people are annoying about it.

I will say though, that I am glad that texting has taken off as opposed to people TALKING on their phone constantly. At least texting is a little more discrete.

I don't think its so bad to send out a text or two when you're with a group of friends or whatever, but I get annoyed when someone is basically having a text-conversation with someone and ignoring the group they are actually physically with--that's just rude. :noway: Most of my friends are reasonable about that, but there are exceptions. ;) I also hate texting during movies. :x Yeah, not as bad as talking on the phone, but the little light is really annoying. :x

I could see it being a problem in school if everyone is doing it constantly, but the high school I work at has a total ban on cell phone use entirely, so unless you want to be in huge trouble, you just don't use it. ;) Texting wasn't around when I myself was in highschool. :mecry: As for college... I had one class where the teacher didn't mind texting, and overall that was fine, I'd maybe text my wife back and forth a couple times or one of my friends or whatever. But then some people would just be clicking away on it the entire 2 and a half hours, and that was really frustrating. :x In college though it just goes by the professor... one I had last quarter basically said "If I see you using your phone, you are out of the class and have a zero on your record." He was actually a really nice guy and was a little more lenient than that, though. ;)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

StrongNChrist wrote:Texting during class instead of paying attention to the teacher maybe?
Kids are going to not pay attention in class regardless of what they're doing while not paying attention, texting, sleeping, drawing, passing notes, whispering, playing a gameboy, playing poker in the back of the class, daydreaming, whatever. 90% of every kid's school experience is not paying attention.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Batman wrote:I don't get how texting causes trouble at school. Enlighten me.
Batman...just don't ask. Unless you ask by PM. Otherwise...I'm not sharing it.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

TigerintheShadows wrote:
They text naughty pictures! \:D/

*goes to text Tyler*
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Even if that is the case....it's still just another medium for them to lose attention...disregarding the moral and legal implications of doing such. ;) Like I said kids will always find a way to not pay attention, it doesn't matter if texting existed or not. I beat pokemon on the game boy in fourth grade english by playing it everyday under the desk...I was just doing something to take my attention away from the boring teacher. If texting wasn't around people would do something else.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The Top Crusader wrote:
TigerintheShadows wrote:
They text naughty pictures! \:D/

*goes to text Tyler*
lol

What's really annoying is when two people are in the same room and they text eacho other. :roll:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

That's... incredibly stupid.

Not that I never do that, but usually its part of an elaborate joke or something.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I think someone tried to do that with me before...we were in youth group or something and a guy texts me and was like "man, i'm bored" and I just look at him and go "you're bored bro? really?"
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Haha, Aeva and I text back and forth when our parents are around sometimes and especially when we can't say something in front of our dad... =P
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Texting is very convenient at times because I hate to talk on the phone. Before school ended kids at school were saying that texting is getting old. Sounds like they need to invent something else. LOL TTYL
swatcaptin
For the GMF!
For the GMF!

Post by swatcaptin »

I hate texting why did they make texting IT KILLS 1000 people EVERY DAY stupid teenagers!