Roleplaying Games

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

The Top Crusader wrote:Well, basically nothing pertaining to C&C was factual compared to D&D.

Plus that ep had the creepy George/Jimmy scene. :(

...what if the RPG is your a Christian and use Bible verses against witches and demons?! \:D/
I've actually never heard the episode(s). :-k *reads summary on AIOwiki* Okay yeah, that sounds a bit uninformed (but follows the myths I've heard fairly nicely)..

Which scene?

That would be a fun RPG actually, with a standard RPG system. \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:
Batman wrote:Yeah, it's like the most inaccurate AIO episode ever, I don't really see why it was made...because none of it is factual.
You're saying that out of that whole episode there was nothing absolutely nothing accurate. Well they called that generalization last time I was in school (3 months ago).
Yep. Like Top said nothing was factual. People that play D&D and whatnot basically just sit around a table doing basically what people do in our very own RPG board Gower's Field....there's no incantations and crazy cut yourself stuff...FotF got it all wrong. I remember back in the day an overenthusiastic kid was going around sewers or something creating maps for a game he was going to host, and drowned or something, and then that sparked some holy war of misinformation about such games... and people started calling them evil, playing RPGs is no more evil than playing a video game...it's simply a video game that involves you creating the story instead of some other peeps doing it for you.

Nobody does the stuff that was in that episode, they just made it out to be occult-ish. I'm surprised they haven't pulled it off air because it's so stupid.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Batman wrote:
Batman wrote:Yeah, it's like the most inaccurate AIO episode ever, I don't really see why it was made...because none of it is factual.
You're saying that out of that whole episode there was nothing absolutely nothing accurate. Well they called that generalization last time I was in school (3 months ago).
Yep. Like Top said nothing was factual. People that play D&D and whatnot basically just sit around a table doing basically what people do in our very own RPG board Gower's Field....there's no incantations and crazy cut yourself stuff...FotF got it all wrong. I remember back in the day an overenthusiastic kid was going around sewers or something creating maps for a game he was going to host, and drowned or something, and then that sparked some holy war of misinformation about such games... and people started calling them evil, playing RPGs is no more evil than playing a video game...it's simply a video game that involves you creating the story instead of some other peeps doing it for you.

Nobody does the stuff that was in that episode, they just made it out to be occult-ish. I'm surprised they haven't pulled it off air because it's so stupid.
Indeed. Oh is that what happened? And I heard a different, strangely similar story of a kid who went and got lost in the catacombs (sewers? Can't remember..) under his college because of D&D obsession and then later his parents found out he'd just gone home with a friend without telling them.
I wonder what God was thinking all during this misinformation war.. :-k
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Invisible Ninja wrote:
Batman wrote:

Indeed. Oh is that what happened? And I heard a different, strangely similar story of a kid who went and got lost in the catacombs (sewers? Can't remember..) under his college because of D&D obsession and then later his parents found out he'd just gone home with a friend without telling them.
Probably why He didn't make common sense more dominant in our brains. :roll:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Batman wrote:
You do realize you are talking about FotF led by the king of misinformation, Dobson. >_>
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Batman wrote:
Batman where are you getting this information that "nobody does this stuff." A study maybe or a website or maybe a book?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Obviously there could be a few random idiots out there who do that, but well, yeah, it has nothing to do with actually playing D&D so, boring though it may be, it shouldn't be blamed for people doing stupid things.

D&D is all about sitting in a basement at a table and rolling dice. Not running around in the woods with toy swords and summoning demons. You don't get like... a box of props like Glenn apparently got with C&C... you just get... a book, character sheets, and a bunch of dice. ;)

I suppose there may technically be spell casting in it, and I can understand being 100% against that no matter what, but in C&C they were uttering actual demonic incantations or something. In D&D you'd just say, "Oh, okay, I wanna cast a firaga spell on that orc." And the storyteller guy says, "Alright, roll 3 dice, you have to get over a 4." *rolls and gets all ones* "OH NOES I BOTCHED!" Storyteller: "You try to cast the spell on the orc but YOU MESS UP AND BURST IN FLAMES!"

So... yeah.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

firaga. lol what is this? Final Fantasy or something? ;)
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Termite wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:
Batman wrote:

Probably why He didn't make common sense more dominant in our brains. :roll:
No kidding. :-
The Top Crusader wrote:Obviously there could be a few random idiots out there who do that, but well, yeah, it has nothing to do with actually playing D&D so, boring though it may be, it shouldn't be blamed for people doing stupid things.

D&D is all about sitting in a basement at a table and rolling dice. Not running around in the woods with toy swords and summoning demons. You don't get like... a box of props like Glenn apparently got with C&C... you just get... a book, character sheets, and a bunch of dice. ;)

I suppose there may technically be spell casting in it, and I can understand being 100% against that no matter what, but in C&C they were uttering actual demonic incantations or something. In D&D you'd just say, "Oh, okay, I wanna cast a firaga spell on that orc." And the storyteller guy says, "Alright, roll 3 dice, you have to get over a 4." *rolls and gets all ones* "OH NOES I BOTCHED!" Storyteller: "You try to cast the spell on the orc but YOU MESS UP AND BURST IN FLAMES!"

So... yeah.
Indeed. So am I understanding right that D&D is basically a more complicated and popular (and perhaps controversial) version of other RPGs like the Star Wars RPG and the Squared Circle?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

The Star Wars RPG is literally the same expect they put Star Warsy things in in place of the Dungeony things. Same rule book and set up and everything.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Noway.. O.o I do believe I have a debatical advantage. :-k So, logically, any bad influences from D&D would have to be from the content itself, not the system of evil numbers and possessed dice, am I right?

(Note: Sarcasm included in above post.)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

^^.... exactly. ;)

There was (and maybe still is... I don't know what parents are doing these days) a huge craze of being totally ANTI-RPG when I was a kid... but yeah, there are Star Wars, comic book, etc, RPGs that are exactly the same, just not about wizards and warriors and magic, etc. But they were basically all banned in many Christian homes. \:D/

FUN TOP FACT: I couldn't have the original Legend of Zelda as a kid because of the "magic" or Super Mario Bros. 2 because there was a FLYING CARPET and CRYSTAL BALL in the game. \:D/

Can you imagine? Top not being ALLOWED to own a Mario game? :noway:

To this day I don't own the actual NES version, I just have the Game Boy Advance remake. Although... I am allowed to now at least. ;)
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

The Top Crusader wrote:^^.... exactly. ;)

There was (and maybe still is... I don't know what parents are doing these days) a huge craze of being totally ANTI-RPG when I was a kid... but yeah, there are Star Wars, comic book, etc, RPGs that are exactly the same, just not about wizards and warriors and magic, etc. But they were basically all banned in many Christian homes. \:D/

FUN TOP FACT: I couldn't have the original Legend of Zelda as a kid because of the "magic" or Super Mario Bros. 2 because there was a FLYING CARPET and CRYSTAL BALL in the game. \:D/

Can you imagine? Top not being ALLOWED to own a Mario game? :noway:

To this day I don't own the actual NES version, I just have the Game Boy Advance remake. Although... I am allowed to now at least. ;)
Oh, general anti-RPG, not just D&D? Sadness. :(
Sounds like the card-and-dance banning of the last century. :-k

At least your parents tried to keep good morals around. ;)

That is rather a strange thought, though. :-k

NES version?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Nintendo Entertainment System. :inlove:

Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

The Top Crusader wrote:Nintendo Entertainment System. :inlove:

Sweet. \:D/ So what's it do? It looks like a trading card package, except I know it isn't. :-k
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

Sapphire wrote:
takeitfromthetop wrote:I'm never going to play RPGS unless there chrisitian based or have nothing bad in them. which rules out D&D. and other stuff.
Same here. :yes:
Me too :yes:
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Invisible Ninja wrote:

Sweet. \:D/ So what's it do? It looks like a trading card package, except I know it isn't. :-k
Didn't notice I left this hanging until someone else bumped the thread. \:D/

That's just a picture of the Nintendo game box. \:D/

The box contained a game cartridge that when placed in the Nintendo would produce an image on your television screen on which you could use the handheld controller and move Mario and his 3 companions around on the screen. \:D/

Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:

The box contained a game cartridge that when placed in the Nintendo would produce an image on your television screen on which you could use the handheld controller and move Mario and his 3 companions around on the screen. \:D/

Woah, that's amazing! \:D/ Wow that screenshot looks cool! When was it made, the game?
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

Invisible Ninja wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:

Woah, that's amazing! \:D/ Wow that screenshot looks cool! When was it made, the game?
That is pretty awesome
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

September 1, 1988. \:D/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2

I'm not sure why people are so impressed and bemused by 20+ year old video games, but yay. \:D/