Books Series Suggestions

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Books Series Suggestions

Post by Iron and Light »

My mom's looking for a new books series for my younger brother who's getting ready to turn 9 next month. He reads well and likes adventures, history, mysteries, and the like, but the series has to be strong Christian or allegorical. Any suggestions?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The Hardy Boys Seminary Days?

Anything by Robert Liparulo. He won't sleep for a while but he'll learn big words.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Hardy Boys mystery series might be one your brother would enjoy. There is no mention of God in them, but there is also no violence (people do get hit on the head occasionally, but that's it for violence) or questionable language in them. The Chronicles of Narnia might be a good one too. Of course your mother would have the final say.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Prepare to be amazed. \:D/

I recommend The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black. It is a six-part adventure and the entire story is an allegory of the Bible, start to finish. I don't remember there being anything offensive whatsoever (beyond non-graphic sword fights and enemy creatures), and it teaches many Bible lessons mixed in with the thrills. It's a fantastic series that I fully recommend.

There is also a sequel series The Knights of Arrethtrae, but I haven't read that yet.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

American Eagle wrote:Prepare to be amazed. \:D/

I recommend The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black. It is a six-part adventure and the entire story is an allegory of the Bible, start to finish. I don't remember there being anything offensive whatsoever (beyond non-graphic sword fights and enemy creatures), and it teaches many Bible lessons mixed in with the thrills. It's a fantastic series that I fully recommend.

There is also a sequel series The Knights of Arrethtrae, but I haven't read that yet.
Yes, one of the best series out there. :yes:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Yes the kingdom Series definitely. Also there is a series called the Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson. Also by that author is Isle of Swords and Isle of Fire. Those are very good as well.

Also there is an amazing series called Dragons in Our Midst and a sequel series called Oracles of Fire. I don't remember the author but they are my favorite series' ever!

BTW: These are all strongly Christian series' but some of them are pretty epic and scary so I would be sure your mom looks them over first. But life is scary, doncha know :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

You might want to check out books by Sigmund Brouwer. He's a Canadian author (yay!) who has written a number of Christian books for kids and young adults. He has sports books (the Lightning on Ice series and Sports Mysteries series) and some future ones that take place on Mars (Mars Diaries) and some mystery books (the Accidental Detectives series) and probably more that I don't know about. I know some kids a year or two older than your brother who really enjoy his books, so if he is a good reader, he could probably appreciate them as well. :D
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Dragons in Our Midst is by Bryan Davis. He has written other series too but I haven't read them.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oh yeah the Accidental Detectives were pretty rad when I was a kid.

Also there is some series about a nerdy dude that was really funny. Something about "My Life as..." in every title.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Dragons in our Midst are very blunt. I wouldn't suggest them for a 9 year old... Obviously, it's your mother's choice, but there is some suggestive content by some of the antagonists and violence. Plus there's a lot of blasphemy coming from the main antagonist.

Buut.... I don't really know any other series, sorry. >_> It would all depend on his reading level. Like, I was reading 250-300 page books when I was nine, but your brother could be different. *shrugs*
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Tolkien's Middle Earth book have lots of Christian applications/allegories, but that might be a bit beyond his reading level. The boxcar children I didn't read very many but I remember the first book had the huge example of being Christ like when the man takes the children he hardly knows into his home. Yet again, it was a long time ago when I read it so...

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:Oh yeah the Accidental Detectives were pretty rad when I was a kid.

Also there is some series about a nerdy dude that was really funny. Something about "My Life as..." in every title.
Most rad! \:D/

My brother read the "My Life as..." books when he was younger! They're written by Bill Myers.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Termite wrote:Dragons in our Midst are very blunt. I wouldn't suggest them for a 9 year old... Obviously, it's your mother's choice, but there is some suggestive content by some of the antagonists and violence. Plus there's a lot of blasphemy coming from the main antagonist.
Yah I agree, I posted that before I read what is age was though. Sorry.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

ricrocflow wrote:
Termite wrote:Dragons in our Midst are very blunt. I wouldn't suggest them for a 9 year old... Obviously, it's your mother's choice, but there is some suggestive content by some of the antagonists and violence. Plus there's a lot of blasphemy coming from the main antagonist.
Yah I agree, I posted that before I read what is age was though. Sorry.
Hey, no problem. Bryan Davis is one of my favorite authors. :inlove:

The Boxcar Children are good... Depending on his reading level, he may like the Jigsaw Jones series by James Preller, though I think those book were a younger level, maybe...
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The Trailblazer series by Dave and Neta Jackson, Adventures Down Under by Robert Elmer, The Young Underground by Robert Elmer, The Promise of Zion by Robert Elmer, Adventures of the Northwoods by Lois Walfrid Johnson, The Riverboat Adventures by Lois Walfrid Johnson, An American Adventure by Lee Roddy, Ladd Family Adventures by Lee Roddy, all books by Patricia St. John, and the Men/Women of Faith books. \:D/

Those are some series that my siblings and I have really enjoyed over the years. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

How about the Bible? \:D/