Pride and Prejudice

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Pride and Prejudice

Post by Trixie Belden »

Here's the place for all P&P fans! Want to discuss the book vs. movie? Want to go over favorite characters? And *gasp* is
Wickham
really evil?

Go right ahead!

First of all, if you've read it, what do you think of the book? How many stars would you give it?
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

How I adore the novel! :inlove:
6/5
aiofan_19
Found

Post by aiofan_19 »

5/5 stars It's awesome!
Wild Horses Can't Keep Me Away from the Town of Odyssey!
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Found this online.

Pride and Prejudice meets Facebook! Isn't this funny? Of course, you have to have read the book first to get all of these, but we all have, right? ;)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I'm so glad someone started this thread, because I've been meaning to start one for months. Here's why:

As some of you may remember, one of the items we put in the iTaliq Accessories shop last summer was a copy of Pride and Prejudice. I went online and found the following lovely image to use as the book cover for the "ToO version" of P&P.

As you probably don't know, I collect (aesthetically pleasing) copies of Pride and Prejudice. Some months ago, I was able to find that very version of P&P online, and so added it to my collection! It'd be fun to get fellow ToOers to autograph it (fellow P&P lovers, of course), but for now I'm content with just having this special "ToO edition" to sit on my shelf, pose with and, of course, read. \:D/

In case you couldn't tell from this story and from my sig, I love Pride and Prejudice. It's definitely my favorite book, and I'm looking forward to rereading it sometime soon. :inlove:

I've held a Pride and Prejudice movie night (the 5-hour version, of course) annually for the last few years with some of my friends from high school, so in addition to being quality entertainment, it's also been a great excuse to reunite with people. :yes:

Ooh, and now I'm reminded of the mod/admin Pride & Prejudice name changes. :inlove: Such fun!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Haha, I was Kitty. \:D/ My split personality. =P

Pride and Prejudice will always be one of; if not, the best romance novel ever to grace a bookstore's shelf. :inlove:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I took that picture of you Liz! I totally remember that. I love the 5 hour movie, though the Kiera Knightely one has merit too.
But Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle are SO cute. I really should reread the book again; I've only read P&P once a few years ago.

Till the end of the line.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

For a girlish story, its fairly enjoyable, and definitely my favorite of the Jane Austin books/movies.

Comparing the 5 hour movie with the book, I'd say that I like them about the same. Comparing the newer version though, the book is definitely better.

Favorite character(s)? Mr. Darcy, of course. ;) Elizabeth and Mr. Bennet are also enjoyable characters.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! \:D/ The first time I tried to read the book I had a hard time getting into it, but then I saw the five-hour movie version with some friends and then when I read the book again I loved it! It's a vicious cycle - if I read the book, then I want to watch both of the movies, and if I watch either of the movies, I want to see the other movie and read the book again. :mad: The fun just never ends! I'm definitely due for a Pride and Prejudice marathon soon! I love both movies - they're different, but they're both really good. I've never watched them back-to-back, but that would be amazing - maybe I can do that this summer! \:D/

Lizzie, awesome book cover! I love it! Who could forget that iTaliq was the P&P term? :D
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I've never read the book, but I saw the BBC 5-hour one, and then the modern-day one. Every time I think of this story, I am reminded that I was born in the wrong century. :(
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I must say, that Facebook-esque version of P&P is awesome! For anyone interested, here is the link to the whole story in Facebook format. \:D/

Some highlights:
Austenbook wrote:Mrs. Bennet left the group Widows of Men Killed in Duels.
Lydia Bennet and Kitty Bennet joined the group 1,000,000 Strong Against the Officers Leaving Meryton!
William Collins tagged 7 of your friends in his note I Propose Myself the Satisfaction of Waiting on You and Your Family
:lol:
Catspaw wrote:Yay! \:D/ The first time I tried to read the book I had a hard time getting into it, but then I saw the five-hour movie version with some friends and then when I read the book again I loved it! It's a vicious cycle - if I read the book, then I want to watch both of the movies, and if I watch either of the movies, I want to see the other movie and read the book again. :mad: The fun just never ends! I'm definitely due for a Pride and Prejudice marathon soon! I love both movies - they're different, but they're both really good. I've never watched them back-to-back, but that would be amazing - maybe I can do that this summer! \:D/
I've watched them back-to-back, but that just made me rather critical of the new movie. So if I did it again, I would have to watch the new one first, I think. :yes:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

V-lady wrote:For a girlish story, its fairly enjoyable
V-lady, you are a girl. ;)

I've never read the books, for the same reason V-lady mentioned. \:D/ However, the BBC film is among my top 5 favorite movies of all-time. Everything about it was fantastic, and I could quote dozens of amazing lines! :D I've seen the newer one, and it's not nearly as good. It needed Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Indeed, the newer one just wasn't the same without Colin Firth! And I think it's awesome, that you, a guy, like Pride and Prejudice.

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

LizzieG wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Yay! \:D/ The first time I tried to read the book I had a hard time getting into it, but then I saw the five-hour movie version with some friends and then when I read the book again I loved it! It's a vicious cycle - if I read the book, then I want to watch both of the movies, and if I watch either of the movies, I want to see the other movie and read the book again. :mad: The fun just never ends! I'm definitely due for a Pride and Prejudice marathon soon! I love both movies - they're different, but they're both really good. I've never watched them back-to-back, but that would be amazing - maybe I can do that this summer! \:D/
I've watched them back-to-back, but that just made me rather critical of the new movie. So if I did it again, I would have to watch the new one first, I think. :yes:
Somebody is pretty clever with that P&P Facebook thing. :lol:

Watching the newer one first sounds like a good idea, since the second one is longer and therefore can fill in all those pieces that a shorter one just can't. :yes: I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I do watch them back-to-back!

I agree with AE and Shennifer about Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy - he was great! :inlove: Though I like the guy in the newer movie too.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I want to watch all three of the "newer" movies, even the one with Laurence Olivier, but my mom says that all the errors in it will just make me mad. That's probably right, since I am a pure book to movie activist, but I want to see it anyway, if only to nitpick. Tell me, which one of the three would you say is the worst? I know the one with Colin Firth :inlove: is the best, but how about the other two? I have the 1995 one in the other room waiting to be watched, but my mom wants me to wait until Saturday to watch it. I've never read the book before, but she has, and so we were reading it together. It's AH-mazing!
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

American Eagle wrote:
V-lady wrote:For a girlish story, its fairly enjoyable
V-lady, you are a girl. ;)
Yes, but a girl who usually has little interest in these types of stories. ;)
alma_b
Gold Member

Post by alma_b »

Very . . very . . very beautiful book . and movie . .I saw the 2005 movie . . with Keira Knightley . .and it was groawesome . . [ great and awesome . :) ] I'm a fan . :D
do you . ? do you really . ? why . ?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I watched the movie...I can't remember which one....and in short...I really didn't like it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Marvin D. wrote:I watched the movie...I can't remember which one....and in short...I really didn't like it.
In short, Marvin, you're a guy. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I've never heard of or seen guys reading or watching P & P. None of the guys in my family would I know that.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln