Pride and Prejudice

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Termite wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:I watched the movie...I can't remember which one....and in short...I really didn't like it.
In short, Marvin, you're a guy. ;)
*coughs* True. Maybe it was because I was made to watch it with my mother and another girl on my brother's birthday and we stayed up till midnight to finish it?? \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Trixie Belden wrote:I want to watch all three of the "newer" movies, even the one with Laurence Olivier, but my mom says that all the errors in it will just make me mad. That's probably right, since I am a pure book to movie activist, but I want to see it anyway, if only to nitpick. Tell me, which one of the three would you say is the worst? I know the one with Colin Firth :inlove: is the best, but how about the other two? I have the 1995 one in the other room waiting to be watched, but my mom wants me to wait until Saturday to watch it. I've never read the book before, but she has, and so we were reading it together. It's AH-mazing!
It really depends on the person. I have a friend who really doesn't like the Kiera Knightley version, but likes the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson one. I've only seen the latter once, and that was several years ago, so I can't really comment on it, except to say that it's probably the most different from the book, but because of that I can see how it would be easier to separate it from the book, see it as almost a different story, and appreciate it that way.

Though there are a lot of things that I don't like about the Kiera Knightley version (one of which is her in the role of Elizabeth Bennet), it has great music and cinematography, as well as some really well-done parts. But so much of the plot is super-abridged, which takes a lot away from the development of the characters and the progression of the story. It's much too rushed, and I can see how someone who hadn't read the book beforehand might get confused with some of the sub-plots. Most of all, though, that movie didn't get me invested in the characters -- even the main romance! Some people think that this movie's very romantic, but I, having seen the "real" version ( ;) ) this one doesn't compare.

Pride and Prejudice: A Latter-Day Comedy is a fun modern-day rendition and worth watching, despite the Mormon references. Being as different as it is, it's quite easy to separate from the book -- even for a purist like me.

I didn't much care for the BBC 1980s 4-hour version. It just didn't have the "spark," Mr. Darcy was too stiff, and ... well, it's been several years since I've seen this one too, so I've forgotten a lot of the details. I also saw this one after seeing the 5-hour version, so I was of course spoiled. ;)

I think those are all the P&P versions I've seen; haven't gotten around to watching Bride and Prejudice yet.

Make sure you let us know what you think as you enter the visual world of Pride and Prejudice! \:D/
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

For those of you who love P&P, I recommend Lost In Austen. It's an absolutely fabulous movie with great twists. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing (well, maybe because we watched it at 2 AM :anxious:)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

LizzieG wrote:I think those are all the P&P versions I've seen; haven't gotten around to watching Bride and Prejudice yet.
I love that movie! The songs are hilarious and it's just really well done and interesting, though perhaps a tad cheesy at times. O:) You definitely need to add it to your summer "to see" list. :yes: My best friend and I rented it years ago and I liked it enough to buy it!

Lost in Austen sounds interesting - I would like to see it at some point.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Over the Rainbow wrote:For those of you who love P&P, I recommend Lost In Austen. It's an absolutely fabulous movie with great twists. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing (well, maybe because we watched it at 2 AM :anxious:)
Catspaw wrote:Lost in Austen sounds interesting - I would like to see it at some point.
Uhh... I watched it (and so did my family), and thought it was very poor. The thought of rewatching it makes me shutter... but I guess we all have an opinion. ;)
Last edited by American Eagle on Tue May 04, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

American Eagle wrote:
Over the Rainbow wrote:For those of you who love P&P, I recommend Lost In Austen. It's an absolutely fabulous movie with great twists. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing (well, maybe because we watched it at 2 AM :anxious:)
Catspaw wrote:Lost in Austen sounds interesting - I would like to see it at some point.
Uhh... I watched it (and so did my family), and thought it was very poor. The thought of rewatching it makes me shutter... but I guess we all have an opinion. ;)
I saw some of it on YouTube awhile back, and I was not a fan either. :?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Well, never mind then. ;) If popular opinion is against it, then I will either not watch it, or only watch it at 2 a.m. after already being sleep deprived. ;)
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

My opinion is not valued by the great Catspaw. :shock:

I feel so insignificant.
;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

No, no, I especially value it, because I said that if I did see it, I would watch it at 2 a.m. just like you did! Imitation is (allegedly) the sincerest form of flattery! O:) All I know about it is what I've read here, and there were more votes against it than for it. :(