AE's ScreenWriting Contest! (WIN $250!)

Get your writing made into a movie! Plus $250!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
AE's ScreenWriting Contest! (WIN $250!)

Post by American Eagle »

Many of you may know I'm aspiring to be a Christian filmmaker (along the lines of the Sherwood Pictures team). I've made 5 "short" films to date (if you haven't seen them, click here). My brother just bought a new camera, and I'm eager to try it out. (The video is supposedly twice as sharp.) I'm working to get experience in the field, and hope to serve God with it in my future.

I say all that to say this, I need plot ideas! I'm not much of a writer, but I know many of you are. I'm starting this contest as incentive to write me a short film script. I'll choose a Grand Prize Winner from the entries.

What's in it for me?
If you enter, even if your script is very short, you will receive $25! That is just for entering! However, assuming there are a number of entries, I will choose a Grand Prize Winner! This person will receive:
  1. A certificate of honor
  2. Their name (either real-life or ToO username, if prefered) listed as "Writer" in the credits
  3. A $250 (ToO money) CASH PRIZE!
Guidelines
How long should the script be?
This is really up to you. If it is 1 page long, that is acceptable. If it's 20 pages long, that is acceptable. The longer the better, IMO, but it depends on the story.

What characters can I use?
Here are the roles I can easily cast:
  • Adult female: 40-50 years old
  • Young adult male: 18-21 years old
  • Teenage male: 14-18 years old
  • Teenage female: 12-14 years old
  • Preteen female: 9-11 years old
  • Young female: 7-9 years old
  • Post-toddler female: 4-6 years old
You may use as many (or few) or these are you wish, and the characters' names are up to you. Bolded names are preferable.

How can I get ideas?
Be creative, I'd say! The story can be as crazy as possible, but remember two things: I don't have multi-million dollar budgets (so I can't do time travel or heart surgery on camera ;)), and the story needs to teach people something (a Biblical lesson or moral).

Here are some different plot ideas to get you going:
  • Modern retelling of a Bible story
  • Family conflicts
  • A character's road to Salvation
  • A sports movie (particularity baseball/basketball)
Does it matter how I format the script?
No, not at all. Make sure you write clearly, but focus on getting a good plot.

What if I already wrote a good story?
Make sure it is formatted in a way that can be translated into a movie. You are free to enter previous works into this contest.

I'm done with my script! What do I do now?
Fantastic! \:D/ Now, just PM it to me, and you'll receive the $25 and be entered to win.

Terms of Endearment
  • By enterting the contest, you are giving me permission to use your script to make a movie.
  • In addition, you are giving permission to make any changes necessary to it.
If you're interested, or have questions, please post here! $250 is calling your name... what do you say? ;)
Last edited by American Eagle on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I am definitely in! :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I'm in! Does this contest have a time limit? Like, what day do the entries have to be in by?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I am so in....I will try to come up with something....I may or may not fail....;) *comes up with a script about traveling back in time to see the Greece people pound holes in your head* ;)
Say, what style should the script be in? \:D/
EDIT: I shall get to work right away. I hope. I'm thinking about a good plot involving cookies and lying. \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Welcome, Sapphire, Trixie Belden and Marvin D! :D
Trixie Belden wrote:Does this contest have a time limit? Like, what day do the entries have to be in by?
I haven't decided that. If I had to guess, probably like a month from now. (Of course, if people are still writing scripts, it would continue longer.) We'll say a month for now. \:D/
Marvin D. wrote:Say, what style should the script be in? \:D/
I tried to answer this in "Does it matter how I format the script?", but didn't fully explain. You can style it any way you want, or you can just write it as you would write regular stories. I don't have a preference.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Thanks! Good...and here I am thinking it'll take me a long time and I have none. ;)
I think I'll write it like:
Marvin (in a low voice, somewhat angry): It won't work!!
Tamika (shaking her head): It will!

*gets back to thinking*

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

That looks very good!

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Do you only have one of each of the character types listed above? Like, do you have more than one of the "Teenage Male"? I've decided what my story should be about, and I'm wondering how I should cast it.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Trixie Belden wrote:Do you only have one of each of the character types listed above? Like, do you have more than one of the "Teenage Male"? I've decided what my story should be about, and I'm wondering how I should cast it.
Generally, there's just one of each character (including teenage male). If needed, I could make a person dress-up as two different characters (i.e. put on a mustache ;)), but that'd be the only way.

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

One more question: Can I make it that the character dreams the whole thing? No special effects, you would just show him/her asleep, and it fades away, or something like that.

Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Could that teenage female pass as a 16 year old?
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Sapphire wrote:Could that teenage female pass as a 16 year old?
I highly doubt it, but you be the judge: here's a photo, in the pink/green shirt. She's 13 in real life, so 16 might be a stretch. (Up to you, of course. ;))
Marvin D. wrote:One more question: Can I make it that the character dreams the whole thing? No special effects, you would just show him/her asleep, and it fades away, or something like that.
If needed, yes. I can film a character falling asleep, and then have some sort of transition to a dream. \:D/

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

This may have already been addressed, but can we enter more than one script? \:D/

NOT for another $25, of course. ;)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:This may have already been addressed, but can we enter more than one script? \:D/

NOT for another $25, of course. ;)
I actually hadn't thought of this, so I didn't address it. I want as many scripts as possible, so I see nothing wrong with entering morethan one. (We were allowed multiple entries for Embarrass the Admins.) Here's what we'll do:
  • Maximum of three entires per user.
  • 1st entry will receive $25, 2nd will be awarded $15, and 3rd will get $5.
  • All entries are eligible for the Grand Prize.

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Woot for more than one entry!! ;)
I already thought of one script...I just gotta get around to writing it. I'll start...soon...;)

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Hm... I'd do it, but I haven't got the time to spare. :shrugs: As I bet none of the other highschoolers on here do either. =P

In short, I think this would be better done during the summer... Unless I can still envision something up then for nothing in return. That's still fun. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Thanks for offering payment for additional scripts! \:D/ I didn't expect that, but I'm always on the lookout for FREE MONEY, so yay! \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:Thanks for offering payment for additional scripts! \:D/ I didn't expect that, but I'm always on the lookout for FREE MONEY, so yay! \:D/
Yeah, no problemo. I've got plenty of money, and figure sharing it with you all is a good way to spend it. ;)
Marvin D. wrote:Woot for more than one entry!! ;)
I already thought of one script...I just gotta get around to writing it. I'll start...soon...;)
Huzzah and Wooton! Go for it. \:D/
Termite wrote:Hm... I'd do it, but I haven't got the time to spare. :shrugs: As I bet none of the other highschoolers on here do either. =P

In short, I think this would be better done during the summer... Unless I can still envision something up then for nothing in return. That's still fun. \:D/
Oh, I'm sorry you can't enter. I have make due with the current time, though. I don't plan on stopping filmmaking after this contest, so hey, maybe we'll do another contest in a few months? ;)

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Do you think that I could have the 14-18 year old male and the 12-14 year old female pass as being the same age?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Haha, as long as I can still write something up and shoot it at you, I don't care about money. ;) So a contest isn't needed, hence the second sentence of my post. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein